YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

59 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I really don't get posts like these. They rub me up the wrong way. We should be glad that there are still people out there willing to spend cash for riskier projects! Especially if they are led by talented filmmakers. Thank frigging God! Instead we get some smartypants here acting all clever afterwards and we even reward them with upvotes. Absurd! That had to be said, thanks for listening. ;)

I am just as interested in the business aspects of filmmaking as I am the creative aspects. Eggers is a fascinationg director, and Focus took a big gamble on him. That is pretty cool. But financially it was shortsighted and could end up hurting other great filmmakers who want to make a big epic movie. Eggers himself said in the New Yorker profile, he will probably never do this again becuase he hated the process so much.

The financiaers will lose money, a lot of it, on Northman. The profit/loss discussion to me is intertwined with the box office discussion. I guess I don't understand talking about box office money endlessly and then neglecting the bottom line of the moive. This movie was only made because it was suppose to turn a profit, and it is a product at the end of day. As a product, it is a failure. As work of art, it looks like a great success. Both of those can be true at the same time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cap said:

Hover over their user name and a pop-up will show. Click IGNORE USER. 

ETA:  This is for when you’re on a desktop. I don’t know how to do it on mobile. And it also might not be giving me the option because I have admin privileges.

I remember back then when we block someone, we won’t be even seeing their replies if someone else quote or replied them. Their quote will be masked ,but the design now is I will still be able to see the quote if there are other quoting them, making the block ineffective. How can we fix this? 

29 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Not bad - so far this movie has shown stronger Saturdays and Sundays in exchange for weaker Fridays so there's no way it misses 5m for the weekend. I think at this rate it gets to $35m before Strange, and whether it hits $50m hinges on that movie surviving (and I think it will).

Box Office: ‘The Northman’ $1.4M, ‘Bad Guys’ $1.1M, Nicolas Cage Satire $835K In Thursday Previews – Deadline

Is this the latest? 

1.) The Bad Guys (Uni) 4,009 Theaters, Fri $8M, 3-day $25M/Wk 1

2.) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Par) 3,809 (-449) theaters, Fri $4M (-63%), 3-day $15.2M (-48%)/Total $145.8M/Wk 3

3.) Fantastic Beasts…Dumbledore(WB), 4,245 (+37) theaters, Fri $4M (-80%), 3-day $13.5M (-68%)/Total $66.6M/Wk 2

4.) The Northman (Foc) 3,234 theaters, Fri $5M, 3-day $12.5M/Wk 1

5.) Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (LG) 3,036 theaters, Fri $2.9M, 3-day $7.8M/Wk 1

6.) Everything Everywhere All at Once (A24) 2,133 (-87) theaters, Fri $1.55M (-18%), 3-day $5.3M (-13%)/Total $26.8M/Wk 5

7.) The Lost City (Par) 2,828 (-602) theaters Fri. $1.3M (-35%), 3-day $4.6M (-26%)/Total $85.6M/ Wk 5

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

This is a meh number, so bad Guys did hurt Sonic 2. 

Unsurprising, it ate into its family demographics.

4 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Nah, that's lowbailing. With weekend multipliers similar to the first movie, this friday could easily translate to $17M weekend or more.

$17m is a best case scenario with that number using other comparisons like Boss Baby, Home and Rio 2, $14m-$16m is more likely. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

3.) Fantastic Beasts…Dumbledore(WB), 4,245 (+37) theaters, Fri $4M (-80%), 3-day $13.5M (-68%)/Total $66.6M/Wk 2

Oof. $100m seems out of reach now.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

Yeah $100m seems dead for Dumbledore but not surprised, kind of thought domestic would be like Apocalypse to Dark Phoenix or Insurgent to Allegiant

I might be crazy; but Doctor Strange, while still obviously Marvel, is supposed to be the most “horror” style Marvel film from what I’ve heard. So if parents think it’s too scary for younger kids, I think The Bad Guys could immediately benefit from that; Sonic 2 will also benefit to a degree, but the two weeks between now and Doctor Strange is a lot of time for positive WOM to build up for Bad Guys. I’m spitballing and probably wrong because if parents brainlessly took kids to Deadpool because of the Marvel label, they’ll take kids to Doctor Strange in the same way.

The Bad Guys should also benefit from being the only animated film targeted at the family audience until Lightyear releases. Warner Bros moved DC’s League of Super-Pets out of the way, so Bad Guys doesn’t have to worry about that film cutting its legs anymore. Yes, Bob’s Burgers comes out in late May, but while that show is popular, it’s not necessarily a family audience thing. 

EDIT: Also, holdovers should be good during the April 29th weekend because the only new release is a Liam Neeson action thing, and that doesn’t conflict too much with other films and their audiences besides maybe Ambulance’s action audience.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

I am just as interested in the business aspects of filmmaking as I am the creative aspects. Eggers is a fascinationg director, and Focus took a big gamble on him. That is pretty cool. But financially it was shortsighted and could end up hurting other great filmmakers who want to make a big epic movie. Eggers himself said in the New Yorker profile, he will probably never do this again becuase he hated the process so much.

The financiaers will lose money, a lot of it, on Northman. The profit/loss discussion to me is intertwined with the box office discussion. I guess I don't understand talking about box office money endlessly and then neglecting the bottom line of the moive. This movie was only made because it was suppose to turn a profit, and it is a product at the end of day. As a product, it is a failure. As work of art, it looks like a great success. Both of those can be true at the same time.

"The Northman" may not loss a lot of  money.   The film only has 17 day theatrical window, and the theatrical release is basically a marketing campaign for VOD releases in early May.  (Flims like "The Northman" tends to over-perform in VOD market.)

Deadline reports that "The Northman" opening gross is at the high-end of its projections.  It means that the theatrical release (marketing campaign) is effective.

Edited by John2015

The numbers for the openers range from "very good" to "good enough." The Bad Guys might leg it out to $100M with no competition for nearly two months.

Fantastic Beasts is missing $100M at this point, yeesh. Sonic 2 holding well despite a new kids movie in town. Everything Everywhere is becoming a sensation and The Lost City is looking like it'll hang around long enough for Paramount to push it past $100M.