YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Cinemascore is such a bizarre metric in terms of the way people grade stuff. 

I mean I know most MCU films for example get an A or A+, but I’d have given the majority of them a B and I’m a big fan.  I mean a B or a B+ in my mind is really good! 

I try and see most of the major films every year and I’d probably only hand out anything in the A range about 10-15 times max in a really good year. 

Id argue the idea behind the CinemaScore is less of how "good" a film is and more how "entertaining" it is. Because the vast majority of the GA probably doesnt really care about how well shot a movie is, how great the perfomances are and so on, they rather judge a film by how entertained they were. Thats why a film like Jurassic World also got an A CinemaScore, which ...

oh, wait, that film is a gigantic Masterpiece. Would have deserved A+. Other example:

Endgame got an A+ CinemaScore although many would probably argue that Infinity War was a better movie overall and that got "only" an A. But the Endgame theater experience - especially with the hype end battle - was surely an A+ worthy experience.

And thats why a film like The Northman gets a B. Because while id personnally say that The Northman is a better movie than any Marvel movie in the MCU - was the theater experience better? For me, id say ... no. Infinity War and Endgame were better as an experience. And i do think the theater experience first and foremost influences the CinemaScore.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$7.9m for The Bad Guys

Noice. Should be good for 24+ easy.   

Did Talent improve from Deadline’s 3ish? Seemed like a lowball and their other fri numbers were indeed way too pessimistic.

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Cinemascore is such a bizarre metric in terms of the way people grade stuff. 

I mean I know most MCU films for example get an A or A+, but I’d have given the majority of them a B and I’m a big fan.  I mean a B or a B+ in my mind is really good! 

I try and see most of the major films every year and I’d probably only hand out anything in the A range about 10-15 times max in a really good year. 

You've seen my grades on here:)!  I probably do it about 5 times a year.

• Thanks 1

CinemaScore is more about expectations than anything else. That's why as I pointed out earlier a movie like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind which is loved by the majority of people that like films got a B- CinemaScore because it attracted an audiences that were probably hoping to see a typical Jim Carrey movie. It's why movies like Hereditary can a D+ CinemaScore and still have good legs, and a film like Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets got an A+ CinemaScore but is still mostly considered one of the weakest HP films, cause it delivered exactly what audiences were expecting moreso than any other movie in the franchise. Feel-good movies also have a tendency to perform much better than feel-bad movies which is why a B+ for a crowd-pleasing Biopic or animated film would be bad but a B+ for an adult-oriented horror film would generally be good. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, AJG said:

How do I block people on here again? 

Hover over their user name and a pop-up will show. Click IGNORE USER. 

ETA:  This is for when you’re on a desktop. I don’t know how to do it on mobile. And it also might not be giving me the option because I have admin privileges.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lestranger said:

Northman could make 20 million this weekend and it would still be a massive financial disaster. I still don't quite understand who sat down with a spreedsheat and said yeah, let's give him 70 million, that math works out. Then give him 20 million more to finish it. Seemed like bad business from the start.

I really don't get posts like these. They rub me up the wrong way. We should be glad that there are still people out there willing to spend cash for riskier projects! Especially if they are led by talented filmmakers. Thank frigging God! Instead we get some smartypants here acting all clever afterwards and we even reward them with upvotes. Absurd! That had to be said, thanks for listening. ;)

• Knock It Off 1

The Bad Guys could be looking at OW between 24.5m-27m. Not the 30m I was gassed up for after seeing the preview numbers but a solid number nonetheless. Who knows with luck maybe it’ll have an absurdly leggy run to 100m due to how barren May is for family films and in combination with Dominion potentially giving the gift of fudge so long as holds are good but an $80m-$90m finish is still solid.

Northman is looking at a $15m+ OW is also very good. Should have a nice run. 

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Id argue the idea behind the CinemaScore is less of how "good" a film is and more how "entertaining" it is. Because the vast majority of the GA probably doesnt really care about how well shot a movie is, how great the perfomances are and so on, they rather judge a film by how entertained they were. Thats why a film like Jurassic World also got an A CinemaScore, which ...

oh, wait, that film is a gigantic Masterpiece. Would have deserved A+. Other example:

Endgame got an A+ CinemaScore although many would probably argue that Infinity War was a better movie overall and that got "only" an A. But the Endgame theater experience - especially with the hype end battle - was surely an A+ worthy experience.

And thats why a film like The Northman gets a B. Because while id personnally say that The Northman is a better movie than any Marvel movie in the MCU - was the theater experience better? For me, id say ... no. Infinity War and Endgame were better as an experience. And i do think the theater experience first and foremost influences the CinemaScore.

oh yeah I know what you mean. A bit of a mixture of theatre experience and ‘did I get exactly as I expected’.  It’s more like people commenting on a rollercoaster than the art of anything. Although stuff like Endgame is obviously art and great entertainment. 

in general though, some of the movies that get A’s are laughable. 

Yeah, CinemaScore is pretty much subjective and shouldn't be taken literally without context.

The Northman got a B CinemaScore, which is exactly what Catwoman got.  So, does that mean Northman is as bad as Catwoman? Of course not! The CinemaScores don't correlate to movies having the same quality.

The Northman is a great and intense movie that got a much better CinemaScore than I thought, while Catwoman is a piece of shit movie that also got a much better CinemaScore than I thought, lol.