YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yes, but the old cast returning proper (Goldblum in FK was not more than a tease) is something people are really excited about and it shoudnt be underestimated. No Way Home just showed us how fondly people remember Tobeys Spider-Man, a ton of people have similar feelings for Alan Grant and Ellie Sattler, Malcolm as well ofc.

I could be wrong ofc, maybe im the one who is overestimating that aspect of Dominion. But i choose to believe in Sam Neils glorious hat.

Sure. Except they just played that card with Fallen Kingdom. Promising a big role for Goldblum's Ian Malcolm only to be a bait and switch. That rubbed people the wrong way plus that installment wasn't particularly well-liked.

The marketing for Dominion is "We mean it THIS TIME, ya'll!"

If this was the follow-up to Jurassic World, I would be 1000% behind you.

4 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

Obviously CinemaScore doesn't correlate with quality.

Uhh... But... It obviously does though. Not at R=1 or anything, but I bet a positive correlation for pretty much everyone on the planet.

(Sorry, pedantry, but was quite surprised to read this from you 😛 )

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Sure. Except they just played that card with Fallen Kingdom. Promising a big role for Goldblum's Ian Malcolm only to be a bait and switch. That rubbed people the wrong way plus that installment wasn't particularly well-liked.

The marketing for Dominion is "We mean it THIS TIME, ya'll!"

If this was the follow-up to Jurassic World, I would be 1000% behind you.

I don't think FK's reception was that bad that it will be a particularly big drag on Dominion. Not entirely with Brainbug on this one, though, I don't think the old cast will be the primary factor in why Dominion will do significantly better than FK (in admissions). Rather, it's a movie with a more enticing premise and larger scale. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Oops. 

I agree with the larger point of course, which I might state as “Cinemascore should have no correlation with quality after conditioning on your self-assessment” 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

I don't think FK's reception was that bad that it will be a particularly big drag on Dominion. Not entirely with Brainbug on this one, though, I don't think the old cast will be the primary factor in why Dominion will do significantly better than FK (in admissions). Rather, it's a movie with a more enticing premise and larger scale. 

I dont think the return of Alan and Co. is the biggest factor for Dominion (maybe i didnt stated that clearly), but it is one of the bigger factors. Im totally with you that the main selling point is the concept of Dinos on the mainland, i. e. the concept which is the best for a Jurassic Park sequel right along with the first JW (Park is Open).

• Like 1

remember in Fallen Kingdom when Buffalo Bill is trying to remove a tooth from the super raptor while its playing dead and it briefly opens its eye and smiles before it kills him?

or the clone girl?

i appreciate that film for embracing the schlock

• Like 4

I hated FK but the WOM wasn't nearly bad, it had a very decent 2.81x from a great OW. We saw what hated second entries looks like with TLJ and FB2, it wasn't the case with FK. It was a medium movie that faced medium WOM, but didn't offended anyone.

And while SW spent the biggest nostalgic hooks on TFA /TLJ, this franchise save it for the last one. Jeff was briefly in FK but Dominion will have the whole trio along the main cast, if nostalgic chatacters will play some factor in this franchise, it will be right now. 

I'm not convinced it will match JW, but i think 175-185M OW is happening, with +500M total

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The Bad Guys looks like $10m for Saturday.  The Northman maybe $4.1m.  

Yeah, so 25ish. Good start, I don’t think it will hit 100 but maybe beat FB3 at least.   

Maybe 12ish Northman, 9x IM is one the lower side but not too bad.

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I hated FK but the WOM wasn't nearly bad, it had a very decent 2.81x from a great OW. We saw what hated second entries looks like with TLJ and FB2, it wasn't the case with FK. It was a medium movie that faced medium WOM, but didn't offended anyone.

And while SW spent the biggest nostalgic hooks on TFA /TLJ, this franchise save it for the last one. Jeff was briefly in FK but Dominion will have the whole trio along the main cast, if nostalgic chatacters will play some factor in this franchise, it will be right now. 

I'm not convinced it will match JW, but i think 175-185M OW is happening, with +500M total

TLJ was more mixed/divisive than hated. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Anecdotally almost everyone I know didn’t see FK (or in some cases JW) but is at least interested in Dominion.

Full disclosure, I am one of the people I know. I didn’t see JW.

Hmm The Northman is not very audience-friendly. I dont think people who love Gladiator will be onboard. In many ways it's superior to a movie like Gladiator (less corny). But in some ways it's not as good (still feels like Eggers is making movies more for himself than the audience, which is a double-edged sword). Legs will be shaky I think. 

Props to Nicole Kidman for

Spoiler

absolutely not giving a fuck about being likable onscreen, not then, not now. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

So 24 for Bad Guys, and around 12 for Northman. Unless I’m shit at math

55 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Thanks but fuck these numbers man. I was really happy on Friday and now I am back to my :sadfleck:self.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

TLJ was more mixed/divisive than hated. 

Agreed, overall definitely, maybe even inclined to positive.

But the ones who hated did it so strongly and vocally that ended up putting this shadow on the movie (sadly because i still think it's the best SW movie ever made). 

FK is just there, i will be shocked if it impacts Dominion.

If the JP/W fandom was bigger then yeah FK'd be a TLJ, but it's tiny so no one really cares. It had good legs, albeit that summer was dead, and I think most everyone who saw it who was just a casual moviegoer had a decent enough time with it. I hate FK personally but I think Dominion won't be hit hard by it.

• Like 1