Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

He's not getting anywhere other than simply saying people talking about "just a strange sequel" are purposefully taking out context to make it more impressive? The numbers are still great, but this isn't "just a Strange sequel" and shouldn't be judged on that metric.

Are the dark knight movies the only "true" impressive sequel increases numbers in the SH genre....I can't think of any other ? 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The numbers are great but lol at the people going “it’s amazing how it’s doing for a Doctor Strange movie”. Lol this is not just a “Doctor Strange sequel”. Strange’s profile was heavily raised by appearing in the Infinity War movies and NWH and they attached the trailer for this to NWH and heavily hyped it up as the next chapter in the multiverse saga 

LOL to anyone who can find something like that quote. 
It clearly had those advantages and more than doubled previous OW. You want to ignore other data. 
What was it supposed to make to not be a disappointment?

You know, Cinemascores always interest me because I always wanna know just how close to the next score up or down a movie was.

GvK had 86% positive and 74% def recommend for an A

Eternals had 75% positive and 57% recommend for a B.

MoM at 82/72 seems like it would lean A-, but it probably indicates the intensity of opinions, with people who disliked it rating it very low

30 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think Marvel Studios had to be extremely careful for phase one.

If you recall they had a deal where if they had too many flops they would lose the movie rights to the entire MCU.

It was one of the biggest Hollywood gambles of all time.

For phase 4 they can rest on their laurels a bit. They know Black Widow is a one shot and Eternals was an experiment but they have the sluggers like Spider-man,  Dr Strange, Thor, and Black Panther in the dug out.

I can't express how bad Marvel needed Iron Man to be a homerun in phase 1. But for phase 4, Feige knew the next the four movies after Eternals would make at least 3.5 billion total.

like i said in my OP MCU will be fine in terms of money. iam talking about quality of the product in relations of phase 1 vs phase 4.

just because they are flop proof for the most part doesnt mean giving us rushed and mediocre content in phase 4. This is the mentality in studios that has ruined franchises and sequels

pliz read through my prevoius comment it has nothing to with box office.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Most of the holdovers seem to avoid avalanche drop this weekend, unlike those during NWH opening weekend, proving that DS2 opening is indeed a failure. 

Even Morbius managed to drop "only" 53% from last Friday. 

- (10) Morbius Sony Pictures $185,000 +278% -53% 1,726 $107 $72,117,763 36

25 minutes ago, Illuminegion Confirmed said:

So annoyed that these hyperbolic people ruined my perfectly reasonable "199 is mildy disappointing" takes. I mean it remains true but now it looks dumb by association, sad. 

Still think 200 is about a coin flip fwiw

You think that's reasonable? That's really cute of you, sweetheart.

• Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Are the dark knight movies the only "true" impressive sequel increases numbers in the SH genre....I can't think of any other ? 

I'm not saying the number and increase isn't impressive. It IS an impressive performance, but this still isn't simply a "Strange sequel".

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am hoping Sonic, Bad Guys and Lost City develop some silly crazy legs until JW3 hits. Until then we only have TG2 and DA2 which should allow them to have strong holds every weekend.

Somebody is underestimating Bob's Burgers.

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I'm not saying the number and increase isn't impressive. It IS an impressive performance, but this still isn't simply a "Strange sequel".

It is a Multiverse sequel without the biggest nostalgia hook from the 2000 a superhero movie can pull off. And it is still opening only 65M below that movie. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Are you talking OW or total gross? The former has a few examples, but far less in the latter, because what happens - as with Dark Knight, also Pirates - is that the first film opens soft, but has great WOM/legs, and creates massive anticipation for sequels, though with much weaker legs after OW

Iron Man 1 ($98) to 2 ($128), or 2002 Spider-Man ($114) to 3 ($151) are some examples of the OW increases besides DK

Edited by M37
wrong year
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cap said:

Boys. We have more pressing Issues!! It looks like Rogers: The Musical closed 🥺

7D8DBD9A-D926-436E-B527-94E8DDBF5254.jpeg

Don't worry, the movie adaptation is on the way.

1 minute ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Somebody is underestimating Bob's Burgers.

I doubt Bob's Burgers is doing much tbh. The show was always a cult hit at best, and Disney seems to be dumping it (in large part because it's one of the last projects from the Fox regime finally seeing the light of day). If it makes much more than $40M total (and that's being generous) I'll be impressed.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Don't worry, the movie adaptation is on the way.

DAZZLER THE MUSICAL. 

Seriously random Marvel intern lurking on these board. Tell Kevin: DAZZLER THE MUSICAL.  

Is it safe to say that 2023 will be the 1st year that we will see what Disney will be going forward after the Fox acquisition and post pandemic? (sure, there are still 20th Century and Searchlght movies to be announced as we get closer). All studios seem to be on work and all Fox holdovers seem to be released by then.