Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

The fact it was so frontloaded probably means staying power is going to be mostly nonexistent in the weeks ahead. Having seen it I can't say I'm surprised given that it's arguably among the "least accessible to a newbie" titles in the MCU to date.

32 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Anyone disappointed or thinks that a $185m or $190m opening is "disappointing" in any way can get fucked with the largest baseball bat known to man.  

Is the Sunday tonight a bit rougher than expected (not Disney “estimates” but the expectations of 190m+ this morning) or am I reading wrong?

3 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

It feels like Disney is making the big deal out of this, more than anything else.

How many times now has there been a big news-item about a Disney film having the "first openly gay character" followed by multitudes of think-pieces about how brave they are? Film Twitter/Social Media takes up the cause and (with a straight face) starts talking up Disney as if they are the underdog. Then you see the film and the scene/character in question is seconds long?

Quiet a few.

No rational human being gives a shit about a gay character being in a Disney film. It's just how cynically put together it is and the Mouse hoping everyone is too up-in-arms defending them to notice how artificial the whole "controversy" is.

Idk what part of film twitter you're on but like...the grand majority don't defend that and mock the hell out of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think pre-sales went wrong in anyway.

Presales suggested mid 30s previews & mid 50s, from that range was always 190-210 & it ended up on lower limit with bad GA reception.

Well you say $200+ the first day of sell

And keep saying $200+ a day before release, don't water down now we know don't reach the 200

Just now, Eduardo said:

And keep saying $200+ a day before release, don't water down now we know don't reach the 200

Anyway is a really good opening. Not just good but a marvelous one

29 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Huh?

This was what I said on first day of sales

Then a few days later

My range for the movie remained $190-210M, except for few days before Monday upper limit touched $225M which came down again as sales weren't that big post Monday.

And again this was me hours before we had any official number.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, AnDr3s said:

people only like wanda because she's hot

That’s literally the excuse people use for whenever a female character becomes popular!? It’s annoying! Could it be that maybe people find her compelling? Relatable? Cool? Nah it’s just cause she’s hot… 

On a side note, I’m curious how DC does Zatanna/Raven. Hopefully they’re as cool as Scarlett Witch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, El Gato said:

That’s literally the excuse people use for whenever a female character becomes popular!? It’s annoying! Could it be that maybe people find her compelling? Relatable? Cool? Nah it’s just cause she’s hot… 

On a side note, I’m curious how DC does Zatanna/Raven. Hopefully they’re as cool as Scarlett Witch

i mean they excuse every action she makes, something similar happends with loki too just because they are hot

i mean raven and zatanna don't have much in common though

i still hate how they redeemed loki after watching 5 minutes of his future

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

the one time i felt there was "forced diversity" and believe me i feel like an asshole for thinking it was in the eternals. why was there a deaf one? like these are perfect specimen robot super beings invented by a god to kill monsters why would he make a deaf one? that didn't make any sense to me. 

This reminds me of the final season of The Last Kingdom(a popular Netflix show about Danes invading England in the 9th century) that dropped earlier this year where they put in a deaf character.  It was very odd watching characters communicating via sign language with subtitles in the context of that show.  That character didn't have a very big role either and gets killed off kinda quickly in the 3rd episode which made if feel all the more jarring...like it was token checklist hire that the show runners didn't wanna do but had to under new management or something.  I dunno know or care really to look that up because I checked out half way through at episode 5 because that season was a huge step down in writing compared to Seasons 1-4 imo.

5 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

It feels like Disney is making the big deal out of this, more than anything else.

How many times now has there been a big news-item about a Disney film having the "first openly gay character" followed by multitudes of think-pieces about how brave they are? Film Twitter/Social Media takes up the cause and (with a straight face) starts talking up Disney as if they are the underdog. Then you see the film and the scene/character in question is seconds long?

Quiet a few.

No rational human being gives a shit about a gay character being in a Disney film. It's just how cynically put together it is and the Mouse hoping everyone is too up-in-arms defending them to notice how artificial the whole "controversy" is.

i would be very surprised if most of the people on here who are criticizing disney for being “too woke” would change their tune if they started…being better at inclusion? like if America Chavez being gay becomes a major plot point, they would be totally 100% not homophobic about it? i don’t really think so.

like yeah, no shit disney is super cynical when it comes to representation, i think most of us would agree on that. i also think there’s a lot of people on here who just don’t like seeing gay characters and are hiding behind that argument because it’s convenient. 

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Can someone describe how to include an LBGT person without it feeling "forced"?

I would also like to see this explained. 

why is it woke to include a LGBT character, as if they don’t exist around you in real life. If you have an issue with a LGBT character on a film, you obviously have some repressed issue you need to deal with in real life. 

27 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Can someone describe how to include an LBGT person without it feeling "forced"?

Do it in a film that they have pre-designated that they like because it has been set up to compete with a film that they hate.

Or have it be in a film that they utterly would despise if it came out now, but is from the 80s and 90s so they get to believe it's somehow different and was executed with great panache. 

NOTE: To give mild favours to them, it seems to not be the content itself some of these folks have a problem with, but the tangential marketing. But the tangential marketing a) isn't the film itself and b) Is annoying because that entire industry is annoying, it isn't specifically annoying in those cases: it's just a pointless industry trying to justify itself with east-to-churn-out content.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose