Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

literally can someone tell me what the “woke agenda” is for the MCU because i seriously have no idea. if stuff like MoM pisses you off which literally has ONE (1) 30-second reference to a lesbian couple then it makes me think you just don’t really like seeing gay people lol

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

literally can someone tell me what the “woke agenda” is for the MCU because i seriously have no idea. if stuff like MoM pisses you off which literally has ONE (1) 30-second reference to a lesbian couple then it makes me think you just don’t really like seeing gay people lol

What, you’re telling me that the homophobes are being homophobes. Next you’ll say days don’t end with the letter Y.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Eevin said:

if stuff like MoM pisses you off which literally has ONE (1) 30-second reference to a lesbian couple then it makes me think you just don’t really like seeing gay people lol

And that bit worked as a dig towards Marvel's and Disney's (bad) attempts at representation if anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

What, you’re telling me that the homophobes are being homophobes. Next you’ll say days don’t end with the letter Y.

I think you mean days do end in the letter Y? Or am I completely misunderstanding what you're trying to say. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

I think you mean days do end in the letter Y? Or am I completely misunderstanding what you're trying to say. 

All days Monday through Sunday end with the latter y at the end. So yes days end with the letter Y.

• Community Manager
20 minutes ago, Eevin said:

"Woke" and "identity politics" are just a way for a certain kind of person to say there are minorities in a movie/tv show/book/whatever and they don't like it because all they can see is the otherness of the character. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Eevin said:

iterally can someone tell me what the “woke agenda” is for the MCU

Any reference's to LGBTQ+. Any reference's or depictions of black people that aren't just happy to be here. Anything that shows women in power or acting in a way that is too similar to the perceived notion of incel manhood. There are more but these seem to come up a lot. 

54 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Eh ... no?

It was clearly established from the start that Thors Hammer can be lifted by anyone who is deemed worthy to do so. Hence this joke from Age of Ultron:

captain-america-mjolnir.gif

Caps Hammer lift in Endgame was teased this way from an early point.

Also in the first Thor when Odin casts Thor out of Asgard and just before tossing Mjolnir through the Bifrost, he puts an enchantment on it: Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.

• Community Manager
Just now, Orestes said:

Also in the first Thor when Odin casts Thor out of Asgard and just before tossing Mjolnir through the Bifrost, he puts an enchantment on it: Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.

It's all to set up a female Thor which is bad because ????

6 hours ago, Shawn said:

some degree of misreading the tea leaves on pre-sales

I don't think pre-sales went wrong in anyway.

Presales suggested mid 30s previews & mid 50s, from that range was always 190-210 & it ended up on lower limit with bad GA reception.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think pre-sales went wrong in anyway.

Presales suggested mid 30s previews & mid 50s, from that range was always 190-210 & it ended up on lower limit with bad GA reception.

There was a period of a few days where presales were going crazy and looked higher.

• Like 2

Yeah, this is  one of the better examples of representation from Disney.  They're there, its obvious.  Its not a cop out or ambiguous like so many other Disney 'representation' attempts.  But no one in the movie makes a big deal out it, there's no attempt to drag it out or glorify it.  Its just a lesbian couple existing in the story just as any straight couple would.  Anyone upset about this just doesn't want to see gay people in a movie.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Eevin said:

It feels like Disney is making the big deal out of this, more than anything else.

How many times now has there been a big news-item about a Disney film having the "first openly gay character" followed by multitudes of think-pieces about how brave they are? Film Twitter/Social Media takes up the cause and (with a straight face) starts talking up Disney as if they are the underdog. Then you see the film and the scene/character in question is seconds long?

Quiet a few.

No rational human being gives a shit about a gay character being in a Disney film. It's just how cynically put together it is and the Mouse hoping everyone is too up-in-arms defending them to notice how artificial the whole "controversy" is.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

32 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

$185 million OW according to BOM? After the first movie only made $235 million? Fucking hell. Marvel did it again. 

Yes. But...

That's not really how MCU work. When I was predicting DSitMoM easily doubling DS everywhere, many pointed toward how no MCU sequel has grew more than x per cent. That would may have worked if DSitMoM was direct sequel to DS.

Back in DS the character was mostly unknown. In the next 4 years, his appearance in three big movies made him one of the most popular & best character of MCU, that's not what most direct sequels have.

That said 190 or for that matter 185 isn't disappointing.

• Like 2

Y’all really want to start the “identity politics” bad takes but ALSO Cap picking up the hammer is bad?

bold GIF

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

"Woke" and "identity politics" are just a way for a certain kind of person to say there are minorities in a movie/tv show/book/whatever and they don't like it because all they can see is the otherness of the character. 

I do think these roles in MCU or Disney on whole looks mostly forced.

I hope they do it better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1