Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

when detractors criticize the filmmaking in the MCU generally civil war is the movie they're thinking of like 85% of the time.

kinda rough to get generalised when each film has different director/cinematrophy combos and probably a different VFX team. The gulf between Infinity War and Civil War can be seen from out of space.

Edited by IronJimbo

Alright. This is the only acceptable MCU ranking. Any other order need correction.

https://letterboxd.com/itsjat32/list/marvel-cinematic-universe-ranked/

1. Avengers: Infinity War 2018
★★★★★

2. Avengers: Endgame 2019
★★★★½

3. Thor: Ragnarok 2017
★★★★½

4. Captain America: Civil War 2016
★★★★½

5. Guardians of the Galaxy 2014
★★★★½

6. Iron Man 2008
★★★★½

7. Spider-Man: Homecoming 2017
★★★★

8. Doctor Strange 2016
★★★★

9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2014
★★★★

10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 2017
★★★★
11. Black Panther 2018
★★★★

12. Eternals 2021
★★★★

13. Ant-Man 2015
★★★★

14. Captain America: The First Avenger 2011
★★★★

15. Ant-Man and the Wasp 2018
★★★★

16. The Avengers 2012
★★★½

17. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness 2022
★★★½

18. Spider-Man: No Way Home 2021
★★★½

19. Captain Marvel 2019
★★★½

20. Thor 2011
★★★½

21. Thor: The Dark World 2013
★★★½

22. Avengers: Age of Ultron 2015
★★★

23. Iron Man 2 2010
★★★

24. Spider-Man: Far From Home 2019
★★½

25. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings 2021
★★½

26. Black Widow 2021
★★½

27. Iron Man 3 2013
★★½

28. The Incredible Hulk 2008
★★

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RRA said:

Can it get there with those preview numbers?

I would say absolutely yes. That’s only a 5.8x from the lower end (34) for $200m.

Even Black Widow had a 6.1x, at the height of the pandemic and whilst being available at home. 

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Alright. This is the only how MCU ranking exists. Any other order need correction.

https://letterboxd.com/itsjat32/list/marvel-cinematic-universe-ranked/

Ant-Man and the Wasp better than The Avengers and No Way Home??

This is a very wrong opinion to have.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Lest talk about Mom for a moment.

Curious. People who dislike the Marvel universe have found this movie better than many others. I think MCU fans always expect Shang-Chi/ NWH movies

At this point the MCU is such that you have that inevitable conflict between pandering to the hardcore fanbase and the casuals because King Kevin and his folks are slick. As much as we joke about the familiarity of the MCU formula, his crew want to try to shake things up here and there so long term the money train can keep running....but again, they also want to keep said fans as well because money. 

What might annoy stans might come off as fresh/cool to the normies. Maybe even Marvel saw the growing backlash against overlong movies, even if they're good (cough The Batman) and decided eh let's cut this down to over 2 hours. Whether that's wise or not remains to be seen. 

IM3 was brought up earlier, I remember back in 2013 when the faithful was pissed because marketing hyped up Ben Kingsley's Mandarin and thus they expected Kingsley with magic kings kicking Stark's ass...then that plot twist happened. It's been said that Endgame did as well as it did because it gave the fans what they wanted more or less. When a curveball is thrown, well you're taking a big risk...

(Pfft of course IM3 still did a billion bucks so its not like Disney or King Kevin was crying afterwards. But I was happy to see Kingsley back in Shang-Chi.)

4 minutes ago, MultiverseXXR said:

Final prediction….

36-56-62-45 for 199

Basically on same page as you, but think we’ll see a larger TFri/Sat increase that nudges it over $200 - we are in May after all, where even Infinity War (late April) had a +22% TFri/Sat (and Endgame +11%, but that’s a whole different beast)

But below Avengers: $35/55/64/49 = $203.7 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Completely correct, ant-man and wasp is based.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

It’s right for the latter and I can buy the argument for the former. Hell it’s better than Infinity War.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 3
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Basically on same page as you, but think we’ll see a larger TFri/Sat increase that nudges it over $200 - we are in May after all, where even Infinity War (late April) had a +22% TFri/Sat (and Endgame +11%, but that’s a whole different beast)

But below Avengers: $35/55/64/49 = $203.7 

Lotta people seems to have small sat bumps for reasons that puzzle me. I’m playing sat anchor this weekend.    

Also thinking Sun drop comes in more IM3/CW style though.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

It’s right for the latter and I can buy the argument for the former. Hell it’s better than Infinity War.

As much as were on the same page regarding Civil War, i completely disagree here. And-Man and the Wasp is utterly useless and maybe the most forgettable MCU movie right along the King of Boredom, Thor 2.

Saying its better than Infinity War ... Infinity War! ...

Madness.

Did you know there is a cute 8 year old in AM&tW? And she wants her to have her father’s back as a superhero partner? And for him not to laugh?    

Can’t beat that, I mean, my heartstrings.

Spoiler

Also I guess ghost is cool and there are some good jokes or whatever

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

As much as were on the same page regarding Civil War, i completely disagree here. And-Man and the Wasp is utterly useless and maybe the most forgettable MCU movie right along the King of Boredom, Thor 2.

Saying its better than Infinity War ... Infinity War! ...

Madness.

Ant-Man and the Wasp delivers on the fun and does a good job at making the characters likeable and the action entertaining. Sure not much happens in the grand scheme but it is a movie to just vibe and have fun with without the typical greater stakes of the world/universe.

2 minutes ago, Illuminegion Confirmed said:

Lotta people seems to have small sat bumps for reasons that puzzle me. I’m playing sat anchor this weekend.    

Also thinking Sun drop comes in more IM3/CW style though.

Only the second MCU film post-pandemic on a true “school” week. The first was Eternals, far less family friendly and bad WOM, so not comparable 

Plus the tie-ins to Disney+ Loki and Wandavision - expecting more of a skew to families than fans on Sat/Sun, and the glut of showings reflecting in weaker pre-sales for those days