Eric the IF

Weekend Thread (5/20-22) | DS2 31.6, Downton 16, Bad Guys 6.1, Sonic 3.9, Men (are trash) 3.3

14 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Assembly Cut grew on me over time, the Studio Cut is hot garbage.

Once you’ve seen the Assembly Cut and watch the behind the scenes material where Fincher looks like he’s ready to find the nearest bridge to jump off, you can understand why the studio cut was such a mess, the execs on that film deserve to be thrown into the nearest vat of molten metal. The Assembly Cut fixes a lot of the issues and I regularly defend it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

They haven't. Hard to say if it's because they know a decline would happen or if it's because of the stars holding them up (Holland seems busy with other projects, Wahlberg has been dropping hints in the press recently about retirement from acting).

Rothman has repeatedly called Uncharted a 'franchise' so it's more likely to do with the latter, getting their schedules lined up and such.

26 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Sonic2 is exhibiting sing2 style strong hold as family audience have limited choice to find their product in cinema.

And after all, TLC will pass 100m. The 4th adventure films, FG, JC, uncharted and TLC, to pass that mark 100m. Funny enough, TLC is the the 2nd best reviewed film but get the lowest gross but uncharted got the worst review but prevail at the top among four.

Great first half for paramount and next week will be the peak of their successful 2022. 

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

MV5BYTNiYmQzNTctNzAyZC00ODY2LWE3ZjgtODU1

Alien 3 opened 30 years ago today. A turgid slog of a movie that no passage of time wil help

I think it is the greatest Alien film ever.  I knew David Fincher would become a master director after watching this film.

Could The Bad Guys leg it out to 100m is the question?

$74.36m (~1.2m in weekdays), puts it at $76.6m the Thursday before Maverick. With no family competition, holiday weekend and likely Sonic being the dropped one, I’m guessing a 30% drop with Monday making it about flat ($4.27m/$5.8m) brings it to $82m, and say assuming holds continue to be strong by the time it gets to the next weekend, it should be around $87m. Double screenings with Dominion get it to $91m. Lightyear may clip it’s legs but if it holds unusually well maybe Minions can help fudge it there.

Encanto update: Still feel that What Else Can I Do is the banger and deserved the breakout, but I have listened to Bruno more than I expected and do sort of understand how it became the main earworm 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Starphanluke said:

Sure, my main point just being that there is substantial blockbuster content available on streaming next weekend, which will test the whole "compete with theatres" theory.

Also: Star Wars does have a substantial older audience, but Mandalorian has shown there are PLENTY of young fans tuning in.

Yes but audience that sees movies the opening week is also more likely to binge a new show/episodes on the day/week of release than audience that is in no rush either way. It's behavioral pattern. So people who want to binge Stranger Things or catch Obi Wan are likely people who watched DS2 already 3 weeks ago. 

As others pointed out, DS2's biggest threat is losing premium tickets from premium formats that are now going to TG:M and JW3. But it will still have an influx of late audience on regular screens since they don't care.

42 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Could The Bad Guys leg it out to 100m is the question?

$74.36m (~1.2m in weekdays), puts it at $76.6m the Thursday before Maverick. With no family competition, holiday weekend and likely Sonic being the dropped one, I’m guessing a 30% drop with Monday making it about flat ($4.27m/$5.8m) brings it to $82m, and say assuming holds continue to be strong by the time it gets to the next weekend, it should be around $87m. Double screenings with Dominion get it to $91m. Lightyear may clip it’s legs but if it holds unusually well maybe Minions can help fudge it there.

Not a too crazy wish, Sing 2 made 44m after making a 5.75m on week 5. Even BG only managed to make about half of what SIng 2 made after week 5, that will still give BG a total gross of 96m. And BG can benefit from some summer mid-week beginning next week until Lightyear. 

3 hours ago, M37 said:

While a $2K PTA (and holding <-10%) is nothing to sneeze at in this market, it’s also not great. Top Gun is going to take up a lot of screen space, plus Burgers, Strange and the two family films likely taking precedence over for a holiday weekend 

Won’t be surprised to see a decent TC reduction for this upcoming weekend (~1000-1100), and then maybe a push to re-expand in the dead weekend after Memorial Day (1500+)

I doubt it'll lose more than a couple hundred theaters next week. Theaters can dump Firestarter/Beasts and secondary screens for Strange/Downton, plus Men will undoubtedly get reduced to nighttime only shows.

Edited by WrathOfHan

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

MV5BYTNiYmQzNTctNzAyZC00ODY2LWE3ZjgtODU1

Alien 3 opened 30 years ago today. A turgid slog of a movie that no passage of time wil help

Alien 3 is a special film for me. I think I was 11 when I first saw it (managed to surreptitiously tape it when it premiered on UK TV) and I was obsessed. It was my gateway film - led me to discover the Alien franchise, which then led to me discovering sci-fi in general.

I'll always have a soft spot for Alien 3 though - I rewatched it recently and for me it holds up surprisingly well. You can see the genesis of some of Fincher's Fincherisms. It's beautifully shot and scored. And I think it might just be Sigourney Weaver's best performance, period. Seriously - Ripley is so broken from the very beginning, and yet she has to muster up a fight that she no longer has the energy for.

It does devolve into a mess not long after Brian Glover's character (the prison governor) is killed. And there are several too many repetitive chase scenes of bald British prisoners shouting incomprehensibly down industrial corridors.

But still... I love it. Even more fascinating is the film it could have been - it's well worth reading about the many, many aborted scripts and stories that this could have been.

9 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Back in the day, I used to think GoT final season could impact Endgame's opening weekend...

How silly I was.

Stranger Things 4 and Obi Wan Kenobi are the only things stopping Top Gun: Maverick from getting a 200m 4-Day OW

Edited by The Panda
  • Sad 2