EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

I know I could look this up but I don't feel like it right now basically because I'm working but Maverick Top Gun looks like it's on Pace to drop 35%? I mean is that even realistic LOL does anyone know what the smallest decline is for a second weekend Blockbuster film coming off Memorial weekend? 

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's pretty rare at least in my recollection, is that a film is completely beloved by pretty much everyones has a massive rotten tomatoes score and even has most people here loving it. I know there's lots of other films that can claim this but this movie just seems like it's being embraced by everybody. Old fogies like me are loving it my 12-year-old niece adored it and the 20 and 30-year-olds are loving it as well. It's awesome to see how this movie has just allowed everyone to just fall in love with it.

Real movie.

TGM showcase a reminder that why leg matters, and we should all preserve a leggy run to protect a true word-of-mouth driven movie, instead of letting every movie go fast burn like in Russia, India and many parts of Asia.

Speaking of leg, I am still baffled by how DS2 missed out $1bn worldwide when its opening was already as huge as $450m. Personally I love the movie and don't understand the hate. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Speaking of leg, I am still baffled by how DS2 missed out $1bn worldwide when its opening was already as huge as $450m. Personally I love the movie and don't understand the hate. 

Because it isnt as audience-friendly as your typical Marvel movie and many people expected the movie to be something that it wasnt.

I love it as well (Top 5 Marvel movies for me), but i love many things about it that i could cite as reasons why the legs arent that good, for example its light horror aspects, Wandas role or the use of certain cameos.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, T-ReXXR said:

If that's the number, we'd need a slightly-under 19% Sunday drop to hit $90M...

This is such an insane 2nd weekend. Especially coming of an inflated Memorial Day Opening weekend. This hold is one for the ages.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

For anyone who might think that TGM's insane performance is mostly held up by America's "American Sniper crowd" (and let's be honest, I think a lot of that thought might have already been long squashed)

the movie is pretty much even with last Friday/Saturday in Canada. Any drop would be in the mid-single-digits %. It's actually insane what this movie is pulling off. 

What might be happening - and perhaps the behind the curtain peekers @EmpireCity @charlie Jatinder @RthMav can confirm - is that “flyover country” markets that overindexed on OW are seeing strong but more reasonable drops in week 2 (like -20/25%), but the markets that were atypically weaker for OW are nearly flat or even up, as WOM has spread and expanded the audience pool

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

TGM showcase a reminder that why leg matters, and we should all preserve a leggy run to protect a true word-of-mouth driven movie, instead of letting every movie go fast burn like in Russia, India and many parts of Asia.

It's insane.  Don't ever forget that weeks before TG2 was released, some people at Paramount put out a hit piece on Tom Cruise trying to get him to relent to putting TG2 and MI7 &  MI8 on Paramount+ after 45 days and to stop asking for additionl budget on the final MI movies.  

Cruise, in his infinite wisdom, refused.  If he didn't refuse and caved, then TG2 likely makes $300m less WW and same with  MI:7 and MI:8.  It was nearly a $1b mistake.  

Having long, sustained and adjustable windows for theatrical is the best way forward.  Anyone who can't see that at these studios by now needs to get shit canned. 

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It's insane.  Don't ever forget that weeks before TG2 was released, some people at Paramount put out a hit piece on Tom Cruise trying to get him to relent to putting TG2 and MI7 &  MI8 on Paramount+ after 45 days and to stop asking for additionl budget on the final MI movies.  

Cruise, in his infinite wisdom, refused.  If he didn't refuse and caved, then TG2 likely makes $300m less WW and same with  MI:7 and MI:8.  It was nearly a $1b mistake.  

Having long, sustained and adjustable windows for theatrical is the best way forward.  Anyone who can't see that at these studios by now needs to get shit canned. 

I recall Alex Kurtzman's team put out similar hit pieces. Trying to blame The Mummy all on Cruise instead of his incompetent ass.