EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

Absolutely phenomenal. 29% off of an inflated holiday opening. I really hope it can coexist with Jurassic, I know losing a lot of premium screens will hurt a bit, but hopefully good WOM will keep propelling it forward. I really hope to see $50+ million this next weekend.

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Absolutely phenomenal. 29% off of an inflated holiday opening. I really hope it can coexist with Jurassic, I know losing a lot of premium screens will hurt a bit, but hopefully good WOM will keep propelling it forward. I really hope to see $50+ million this next weekend.

I think at this point it is Jurassic that hope for they can coexist with TGM. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

With $557.2 after the second weekend, I can't see a realistic scenario where TG Maverick misses $1 billion worldwide (with major market South Korea still to open).

The word of mouth is fantastic, the holds are great.

This will be the summer movie for the adult audience.

It will keep on surprising us wth good numbers and great holds.

Edited by MrHardapple
  • Like 3

Top 10 3rd weekends:

1. Force Awakens- 90.2m (-39.5%) (Jan 1-3)

2. Avatar- 68.4m (-9.4%) (Jan 1-3)

3. Black Panther- 66.3m (-40.6%) (March 2-4)

4. Endgame- 63.2m (-57.1%) (May 10-12)

5. Infinity War- 62m (-45.9%) (May 11-13)

6. No Way Home- 56m (-33.7%) (Dec 31-Jan 2)

7. Avengers- 55.6m (-46%) (May 18-20)

8. Jurassic World- 55.6m (-48.8%) (June 26-38)

9. Last Jedi- 52.5m (-26.6%) (Dec 29-31)

10. Rogue One- 49.6m (-22.5%) (Dec 30-Jan 1)

The biggest opening was Pikachu vs Endgame which did 54.3m. (Inside Out also did 50s in 2nd weekend vs Jurassic World). So Top Gun will have biggest competition.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, MrHardapple said:

With $557.2 after the second weekend, I can't see a realistic scenario where TG Maverick misses $1 billion worldwide (with major market South Korea still to open).

The word of mouth is fantastic, the holds are great.

This will be the summer movie for the adult audience.

It will keep on surprising us wth good numbers and great holds.

It’ll be a timely lesson to those that should know better in what happens when you leave a hit exclusively in cinemas for months. 

• Like 1

Can June box office pass $1bn?

June has so far grossing $160m and we likely to have two consecutive weeks passing $200m thanks to JWD and LY. Even Elvis weekend is looking at around 150m now. Adding all summer mid-week numbers, I think NA market has a legit shot at first monthly $1bn gross since pandemic begun. Even NWH and Sing2 can't lift Dec last year total to above $1bn. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

It’ll be a timely lesson to those that should know better in what happens when you leave a hit exclusively in cinemas for months. 

Tom Cruise is a true film legend.

He stood up for the theater window, he declined the studio approach to put it out on VoD sooner.

A great fighter for the cinema.

Glad it pays him back now.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

If we remove previews and adjust the first Sunday slightly to make a normal Fri-Sun OW (around 100M give or take), it dropped 10%. 

TEN. FUCKING. PERCENT.

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

1 month ago people thought 90M would he first weekend number.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Not just domestic, TGM OS gross went up 4m+ as well. 

what a time to be alive on BOT:ohmygod:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

If we remove previews and adjust the first Sunday slightly to make a normal Fri-Sun OW (around 100M give or take), it dropped 10%. 

TEN. FUCKING. PERCENT.

Last week $126.7m to me, it is a overperformance overall but not crazy performance. $125m-130m has always been the high-end number of the some of the tracking and TGM hit the mark.

But this 2nd weekend number, most of the people had it around 65m-75m during mid-week with very few seriously shouting 80m. And with actual of 90m, I would say this is what we call CRAZY! as it surpass the even most optimistic expectation and wish. 

• Like 1

Realistically, I can't see a scenario where over 50M is possible next weekend and it's not because of the loss of PLFs alone. (But then again I couldn't see a scenario where it fucking dropped less than 30% off MDW). Advent of summer holidays mean something like +50/+40/-25 is more likely. The weekdays should be ridiculously strong though. 

• Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Who else other than me was on the 600 mil train before we got any numbers?

First, let's wait and see the drop this weekend against Jurassic before declaring crazy numbers like 600M

31 minutes ago, Maggie said:

First, let's wait and see the drop this weekend against Jurassic before declaring crazy numbers like 600M

Have you not taken enough losses yet on TG2 to be advising people on there predictions?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4