EmpireCity

Weekdays Thread (6/6-9) // 12.4m Mon // 13.76m Tue // 12.4m Wed // 9.0m Thurs

12 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It's early, but let's go $13.5m today.  

What a WOM monster TGM is!!! Same category as Avatar.

With the holds it is having this week, I'm expecting 20-25% drop for around 70M 3rd Weekend.

• Astonished 2

6 minutes ago, MattW said:

Tom Cruise brought back 80s box office drops.

Seriously though. 
I could see this play like an 80s film all throughout the summer. It’s drawing out such a wide audience, and older viewers are notoriously late to the party. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

At this pace, the 50M 2nd weekend prediction from The Numbers for Top Gun looks very good.

For the 4th weekend.

With Fathers Day next Sunday and a federal holiday on Monday, 50 million might be a tad bit low. 😂

Another interesting tidbit, and maybe an insight to where some theatre booker’s heads are currently at….

For the June 17th weekend, Lightyear pre sales are up and many Cineplex theatres only have a 12pm/1pm IMAX showing for Lightyear all weekend, including Sat/Sun, in large markets like Toronto and Ottawa. 

Any guesses what they might give those other IMAXshowings to that weekend, Father’s Day weekend? I have one guess….

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Another interesting tidbit, and maybe an insight to where some theatre booker’s heads are currently at….

For the June 17th weekend, Lightyear pre sales are up and many Cineplex theatres only have a 12pm/1pm IMAX showing for Lightyear all weekend, including Sat/Sun, in large markets like Toronto and Ottawa. 

Any guesses what they might give those other IMAXshowings to that weekend, Father’s Day weekend? I have one guess….

Morbius?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Could also be for Dinos since JW only has one weekend with premium screens otherwise, but TGM makes a lot of sense. My theaters also have only 2-3 PLF showing for lightyear listed, none after 3pm. Maybe they're waiting to see which movie will make the most money with them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you are a booker for a 10 screen theater, then you likely kept 3 screens of Top Gun: Maverick and brought in 3-4 screens of Jurassic World.  The last couple screens are Doctor Strange 2 and something else like Bob's Burgers or Downton Abbey or Everything, Everywhere depending on your market.  

My guess is next week that TG2 is still around 3 screens, Jurassic World is down to 2-3, Lightyear has 3 and you have one more mixed screen.  

TG2 will still be holding multiple screens all the way up to Thor: Love and Thunder.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Djsoke said:

Could also be for Dinos since JW only has one weekend with premium screens otherwise, but TGM makes a lot of sense. My theaters also have only 2-3 PLF showing for lightyear listed, none after 3pm. Maybe they're waiting to see which movie will make the most money with them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Could be true, though one of these theatres (Toronto) is keeping TGM in IMAX all weekend this upcoming weekend, so Dinos might just be getting the shaft. 

I should note, the IMAX showings at this Toronto theatre have been doing exceptionally well these past few weeks, so I’m not all that surprised with the decision. I’m more just surprised the chain was able to do it! 

Also, to me, it doesn’t make sense to give Lightyear evening PLF shows. The bulk of tickets for that one will come from mid-day showings. Hope most theatres agree. 

As an aside, I am not a heavy poster, but have been following Box Office since the late ‘90s Showbizdata days, through the Box Office Mojo haydays and now on here, and I think my post today is my most liked/quoted post I’ve ever had. 

TGM helping me break records too! 

• Like 17