EmpireCity

Weekdays Thread (6/6-9) // 12.4m Mon // 13.76m Tue // 12.4m Wed // 9.0m Thurs

6 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

As an aside, I am not a heavy poster, but have been following Box Office since the late ‘90s Showbizdata days, through the Box Office Mojo haydays and now on here, and I think my post today is my most liked/quoted post I’ve ever had. 

TGM helping me break records too! 

Were the 90s as cool as people say they were

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Were the 90s as cool as people say they were

I like to think so, but I was also in my teens then, so life in general was pretty great. The real world hadn’t yet sucked the soul from me yet….. 😅😇

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Thanks @EmpireCity@RthMav and @charlie Jatinder for what you do for the site.

TGM run has been crazy and these early numbers are only amplifying the run!!! Not knowing where it could finish is also helping with the anticipation and excitement. Pretty much how Avatar was on a weekly basis.

Yup, rarely do we get a film overshoot expectations constantly. Avatar, frozen, Jumanji are some of the recent examples that come to the mind. 

12 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Would Top Gun have dropped 45% this last weekend and not 29%, i would be with you.

But this second weekend was so astonishing that were clearly in unprecedented territory now. Phenomenon films often enough dont play by the usual rulebook.

Top Gun has Fathers Day weekend + a Holiday Monday on its 4th weekend and the Independence Day Holiday coming up + the usual summer weekdays. Its competition is certainly there, but apart from Dominion and Thor, there are no other big action movies this summer until Bullet Train in August. Plus, the awesome WOM can cancel out the screen loss to a certain degree. More people will just go to fewer screenings.

I truly think were in for a historic run.

Historic and way under 650.

Jurassic World Dominion even if it disappoints will do huge business this weekend. Lightyear is going to crush it.  Happy to admit if I'm wrong. I don't see it happening. 4x on a 4 day 160 OW weekend? Nopey nope.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, stripe said:

A must see movie can perfectly coexist with new competition. Obviously, JW3 and Lightyear will have an impact, but in cases like TGM, it should be minor. As with Avatar, TGM has become an event film that appeals even to those that barely go to a theater but have the perception they can miss the experience.

Of course, 500M would already be more than great. I was just trying to predict TGM run looking at the data we have and comparing it with leggy event sized movies. I honestly think that TGM run can be more like a mini Avatar domestically.

I get that. I completely don't see. We shall see. Basically no competition last week. Now back to back massive films both family outing films. 

I'm seeing lightyear on IMAX. So jacked. Gonna see Top Gun twice. I think that's the 4th movie I've seen twice in theaters in 37 years. (gotta do it first! )

One thing Top Gun has going for it that most big movies don't is that the right wing media apparatus is trying to claim this movie as theirs, so a lot of chuds who never go to the movies are gonna help its legs out a lot.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

One thing Top Gun has going for it that most big movies don't is that the right wing media apparatus is trying to claim this movie as theirs, so a lot of chuds who never go to the movies are gonna help its legs out a lot.

Right wingers and homoeroticism, name a more iconic duo :sparta:

• Haha 3