EmpireCity

Weekdays Thread (6/6-9) // 12.4m Mon // 13.76m Tue // 12.4m Wed // 9.0m Thurs

12 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

70m against a big opener like JWD would not just be insane, but would pretty much mean its weekend drops hereon out would be 20-30% or less

What is the biggest #2 the weekend of a 100+ opener?

Feels like the closest thing would be JW's 2nd weekend of 106.5m and Inside Out opening to 90.4 in 2015

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

What is the biggest #2 the weekend of a 100+ opener?

Feels like the closest thing would be JW's 2nd weekend of 106.5m and Inside Out opening to 90.4 in 2015

Incredibles 2 made $80M vs JW:FK 

• Like 3

60 million this coming weekend would be incredible given that the big dumb dinosaur movie is taking so much of the IMAX and other PLF screens. -33% weekend when a huge blockbuster is being released, that's crazy. People talking about 70m are just setting themselves up to be disappointed in the amazing.

Just saw the film again last night. Was maybe a 2/3 full IMAX showing, usually dead quiet on a weekday where I am (unless it's an opening). The older audience is definitely back out for this. 

Also when was the last time a 3rd act for a film was this good? It just 100% delivers on everything you could possibly want. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, MattW said:

Tom Cruise brought back 80s box office drops.

We need more of this kind of run in cinema to smooth up the cycle. The cinema chain was complaining they are constantly in the loop of understaffed and over-staffed from one week to another.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

$13.9 million Tuesday confirms it….

Top Gun Maverick is more impressive than Pirates: At World’s End

Yet tragically, it will never have as good an OW. 

• Haha 1

After all these years, the best non-disney non-marvel opening is still the first JW movie. Besides that, HP8 & Batman movies are the best. I guess $150~170M opening is more realistic for JWD if WOM is really that mixed.

60M+ third weekend looking more than likely. Possible top5 biggest 3rd weekend DOM.

Also, 400M+ confirmed in 17 days.

I have a feeling it will reach top3 biggest 4th weekend DOM. It would just need to gross over 42.4M

Top3 5th weekend also likely (over 30M)

Show of hands, before Top Gun started setting records and blowing all of our minds, how many people here actually thought that it would do well? I don't mean holy shit, well, I just mean who here actually thought it might make 200 million? This isn't a criticism and I'm not looking to show anyone up, for those of you who have known me for the last 20 years, you guys know I've made a lot of incredibly massively terrible predictions at the box office. So without going through the entire Top Gun thread I'm just wondering what most of you guys thought it would do at the box office before it got released this year.

• Like 3