EmpireCity

Weekdays Thread (6/6-9) // 12.4m Mon // 13.76m Tue // 12.4m Wed // 9.0m Thurs

Just finished my 3rd watch, this time in a regular showing as opposed to the first two in IMAX. And I have to say it's just as glorious. The movie itself is so good that it works regardless of format. I think the impact due to loss of PLFs this weekend will be more minimal than we have been thinking. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Juby said:

The biggest summer grossers after 10 days of release:

Jurassic World - $249.5m

The Avengers - $250.3m (A+ Cinemascore, even better IMDb score than TGM)

Incredibles 2 - $258.8m (A+ Cinemascore)

Maverick is at $295.6m after 10 days, he has better drop and better 2nd weekend than Incredibles. $550m seems to be a great target right now.

JW 2nd weekend drop: 49%.

After that weekend, these were the drops for JW: 49% / 46% / 38% / 37% / 37% / 45%

Avengers 2nd weekend drop: 50%. After that: 46% / 34% / 44% / 45% / 21% / 19%

I2 2nd weekend drop: 56%. After that: 42% / 39% / 42% / 27% / 39% / 31%

TGM is on another level legs wise. Only dropped 29% 2nd weekend despite previews on Friday and inflated first Sunday. From now, it will constantly deliver better numbers than JW, TA and I2

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

None of them. Both are shit but atleast RRR first half is good.

Yeah. I just watched both KFG movies and while the lead is charismatic... They're both pretty awful. I did think the first half of RRR was pretty great but the second half definitely lost some of steam. I preferred Eega and Baahubali 2 from that director.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah. I just watched both KFG movies and while the lead is charismatic... They're both pretty awful. I did think the first half of RRR was pretty great but the second half definitely lost some of steam. I preferred Eega and Baahubali 2 from that director.

Yep Baahubali movies are better. Never really watched Eega. Check Magadheera.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Am I misreading this? Jurassic World was at 403M, Avengers at 373M and Incredibles 2 350M after 10 days of release. Those are the DOM numbers I see after the 2nd weekend that I'm seeing.

Sorry. I corrected my previous post.

So far TGM is goat, but wait till the June 17th before you start lockin' $600m. Now Tom has +4700 theaters and all large formats for himself, wait and see how competition will change that.

Edited by Juby

Speaking of windows, The Bad Guys has a 70 day window with it going on Peacock July 1st.

If the Peacock release is this late, which kind of indicates they want to see if it can do 100m, I still don’t get why it’s not getting Dominion double screening fudge over things like Ambulance and Firestarter that won’t get a milestone benefit.

The way the numbers just keep on surprising people with this movie. A 3rd weekend over 50M is a given now and I think its 4th and 5th weekends are gonna hold very very well. 600M is happening. I wasn't sure box office runs like this were possible anymore but between this and, on a smaller scale, EEAAO, they clearly are. I'm hoping this validates a future for cinemas for a long, long time still to come. 

• Like 2

Let’s just get to $500 million first and see what kind of shape things are in as far as how well the competition is doing. 

The adult crowd that are exclusively seeing Top Gun right now and going wild for it might equally go gaga for Elvis, amongst others. 

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

So when will the IMAX rerelease happen? Does it steal showtimes away from Minions or wait until late August/Labor Day?

July 4th and IMAX. That’s a potent mix

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

There is nothing stopping this movie. Not dinos, not a space astronaut, not the King of Pop.

Im in for the 650M+ believers.

Other films and screens shatter this.

we have a couple big time films coming out.

still it’s gonna do amazing with insane legs given a great opening weekend.

2 hours ago, stripe said:

JW 2nd weekend drop: 49%.

After that weekend, these were the drops for JW: 49% / 46% / 38% / 37% / 37% / 45%

Avengers 2nd weekend drop: 50%. After that: 46% / 34% / 44% / 45% / 21% / 19%

I2 2nd weekend drop: 56%. After that: 42% / 39% / 42% / 27% / 39% / 31%

TGM is on another level legs wise. Only dropped 29% 2nd weekend despite previews on Friday and inflated first Sunday. From now, it will constantly deliver better numbers than JW, TA and I2

again gotta factor competition which will steal screens. When they take them screens won’t come back. Still 500+ domestic? Absolutely insane given pre release expectations 

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Other films and screens shatter this.

we have a couple big time films coming out.

still it’s gonna do amazing with insane legs given a great opening weekend.

Would Top Gun have dropped 45% this last weekend and not 29%, i would be with you.

But this second weekend was so astonishing that were clearly in unprecedented territory now. Phenomenon films often enough dont play by the usual rulebook.

Top Gun has Fathers Day weekend + a Holiday Monday on its 4th weekend and the Independence Day Holiday coming up + the usual summer weekdays. Its competition is certainly there, but apart from Dominion and Thor, there are no other big action movies this summer until Bullet Train in August. Plus, the awesome WOM can cancel out the screen loss to a certain degree. More people will just go to fewer screenings.

I truly think were in for a historic run.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1