EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

19 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Unfortunately, it probably has played a factor in it. Disney has been in hot water with conservative audiences for the past year or so (starting with the firing of Gina Carano). And as a result has lost a big portion of that audience.

You think we'll ever see them try another movie with an LGBTQ main character? Or has Lightyear made sure that they won't? 

2 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

You think we'll ever see them try another movie with an LGBTQ main character? Or has Lightyear made sure that they won't? 

We'll we already have Elsa who is most likely gay and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Frozen III that they would be more up front about it. I think it's still very likely. they just might do it on a Disney+ movie before a mega budget film (but even that isn't that far off imo).

5 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Totally traditional animation, Saturday morning cartoon style, action and catchphrases and humor. 

Hmm the problem is traditional animation isn't done at Pixar and it's a lost art, practically. They had to train new layout artists for Klaus, that hand drawn movie made for Netflix.

10 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

The main character's son in Strange World is apparently gay according to people at the Annecy festival. Whether or not that fact actually makes it to the finished film remains to be seen.

53 minutes ago, Kalo said:

We'll we already have Elsa who is most likely gay and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Frozen III that they would be more up front about it. I think it's still very likely. they just might do it on a Disney+ movie before a mega budget film (but even that isn't that far off imo).

If they wanted to make Elsa's sexuality explicit, they would have done that already. Frozen is a massive franchise, which unfortunately means it's too "safe"-- that is, too reliant on money from all audiences, not just the ones who are chomping at the bit for queer representation-- for this sort of thing. At least, that's the logic Disney seems to use. On the rare occasion when we do get a queer character in a theatrical film, these characters are either bit parts, or their sexuality is only confirmed offscreen by the directors and writers. And this doesn't just apply to the animated movies either. Valkyrie from Thor: Ragnarok is supposedly bisexual, but did you know that from watching the movie? I thought not. 

It's telling that most of their more sincere attempts at LGBTQ representation are from TV shows and Disney+ films, which are things that seem to be subject to less scrutiny from the company than theatrical feature films. In other words, they're seen as "lesser" works, which ironically means they can get away with more. I know I was one of the many people wishing for Lightyear to get a theatrical release, but I must have wished on some sort of cursed monkey's paw when I did, because it really does seem like the sort of movie that would be better-suited to Disney+. 

If Lightyear performs as poorly as it looks like it will ($51-55M opening weekend), then that's bad news not just for it but for LGBTQ character in theatrical Disney films as a whole. I'm trying to get #SaveLightyear trending on Twitter, so people will realize that this is a litmus test for queer representation in Disney films. If it fails, we might not see Elsa confirmed as lesbian in that third Frozen movie. 

Edited by El Squibbonator
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

I'm trying to get #SaveLightyear trending on Twitter, so people will realize that this is a litmus test for queer representation in Disney films. If it fails, we might not see Elsa confirmed as lesbian in that third Frozen movie. 

You could also just watch and support already existing LGBT movies made by actual LGBT filmmakers instead of asking a faceless company that cares little about the community to give you representation. That's a good strategy too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

Deadline update

SATURDAY PM: In a Saturday matinee brawl at the box office between a Disney Pixar space ranger and Universal/Amblin dinosaurs, the prehistoric beasts win. Industry estimates show Jurassic World Dominion swallowed up Saturday over Lightyear, $21.8M to $15.7M. Lightyear will be lucky to hit $50M for the 3-day (these estimates do not come from Disney), if it has a robust Father’s Day as Dominion will also steal the Friday-Sunday frame with $58.3M, -60% –not far from 2018 Fallen Kingdom‘s second weekend -58% decline. All in with the 4-day holiday, Dominion is looking at $67.6M. This will put the Coin Trevorrow directed, co-written and produced sixth Jurassic title at $258.7M, 6% behind Fallen Kingdom‘s 11-day running cume

Also, let’s behold the unstoppable sound barrier breaking power of Paramount’s Top Gun: Maverick. The Tom Cruise pic’s fourth weekend stands at $43.1M, which is the third best fourth weekend ever for a major motion picture

• Like 1

I do that. But no matter how much queer-friendly media I consume, the fact that a major film and TV company is categorically opposed to LGBTQ representation-- or at least good LGBTQ representation-- in its works is a cause for serious concern.

(This post was originally much longer, but I cut it down because I typed some stuff that would probably get me blocked from the forum)

14 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

I do that. But no matter how much queer-friendly media I consume, the fact that a major film and TV company is categorically opposed to LGBTQ representation-- or at least good LGBTQ representation-- in its works is a cause for serious concern.

(This post was originally much longer, but I cut it down because I typed some stuff that would probably get me blocked from the forum)

Well Strange World supposedly will have LGBT themes as well, so it'll be another litmus test. Also seems it'll be more integral to the story.

I'd much rather Disney develop a gay narrative organically than force one of their established characters into that mold based on fan demand. I imagine that's already a lost cause for legal reasons anyway.

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well Strange World supposedly will have LGBT themes as well, so it'll be another litmus test. Also seems it'll be more integral to the story.

I'd much rather Disney develop a gay narrative organically than force one of their established characters into that mold based on fan demand. I imagine that's already a lost cause for legal reasons anyway.

Mostly I'm disappointed because Disney, probably more than any other movie studio, is famous for its love stories. Lady and the Tramp. Cinderella and her Prince. Ariel and Eric. Belle and the Beast. Aladdin and Jasmine. And so many more. They are fully capable of adding a queer relationship to the pantheon of great cinematic Disney romances, but that hasn't happened yet. Even Lightyear only counts as progress in the very generous sense that its queer character has a major supporting role-- she still isn't the main protagonist.