EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

Was talking to a six-year-old at work today who was talking about how he loves seeing movies with his dad (specifically BAD GUYS), and when I asked him if he was gonna see the buzz lightyear movie with his dad, he said he thought it was supposed to be on Disney+ like the other Pixar movies

anecdotal of course, but kids are smarter than we give them credit and this was the first time I was like “huh maybe the doomsayers are right” 😬

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

A 23m Friday would mean at least 60m OW no?

Yes but it's early Deadline number so pretty worthless. Let's wait for the Gods, and hopefully walkups help it to get to 25M+.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Is this actually a big stumbling block? ADRing every mention of Ukraine with a fake country like Krakozhia, and editing around any garish displays of Ukraine flags should be easy enough. I doubt every single line of dialogue references Ukraine

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Yikes at PostTrak numbers

Just pure ignorance on my part but... what exactly is the bad in this specific PostTrak? 

Not saying it's not bad. I just don't know the historials or what is good in PostTrak

Just now, Juan Caballo said:

Just pure ignorance on my part but... what exactly is the bad in this specific PostTrak? 

Not saying it's not bad. I just don't know the historials or what is good in PostTrak

A 62% recommend is poor in general but for a Pixar movie it's really bad. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Those PostTrak numbers are....not good. 

That's really weird. Report is saying Parents gave it 4.5 stars and kids under 12 gave it 5 stars. So it appears Adults(not parents) and kids above 12 gave it less than 4 stars overall. Anyway this looks to be the weakest received Pixar movie in a big screen since Cars 2. We did not have Post Trak back then but The Good Dinosaur also was not well received. Rest all did good. But with Disney sending Pixar movies to D+ past 2 years has pummeled the brand as DTV. I dont know how they can spend so much money while diluting the brand. This is not good for CGI movies health. 

Edit: I think there is a very controversial twist in final 3rd of the movie which is not well received. I think it annoys even the fans of TS movies. Take it to spoiler thread for details. 

In last night’s PostTrak exits, Lightyear notched four stars with overall audiences and a 62% recommend. The audience make-up was 67% general, 16% parents and 17% kids under 12. Parents gave the movie 4 1/2 stars whereas kids under 12 gave it 5 stars. Boys outnumbered girls, 61% to 39%. Of the general audience, 53% where men, 47% women.

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, YourMother said:

A 23m Friday would mean at least 60m OW no?

Yeah, probably low $60s. And if the reported Thursday gross didn’t include Wed, then it’s essentially $6/$63 = 10.5x

Lightyear postrack seems similar to Onward [A- on cinemascore]

Even though the movie notched great reviews at 86% certified on Rotten Tomatoes, an upbeat response from exhibition, and great PostTrak exits of 4 1/2 stars for general crowds and parents and 4 stars from kids under 12

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, M37 said:

Yeah, probably low $60s. And if the reported Thursday gross didn’t include Wed, then it’s essentially $6/$63 = 10.5x

So, maybe $66M was a spot-on prediction from 2 days ago.  

Maybe I still got it.

Still, I agree with the PPers - that Posttrak is ugly, as was the audience breakdown for a Thursday 3pm preview start.  Only 33% families on a day with almost all schools out for the year...and it's not b/c there were sellouts...

• Like 1