EmpireCity

Weekly Thread 6/27-6/20

On Sunday TGM broke record for the "best legs" for a $100-million opener. Currently it's at x4.15. It will be over x5 when it's all done. For movies with +$50m OW (Friday releases) only two films have over x5.00 legs - Avatar (x9.74) and Jumanji: The Next Level (x5.40). Well, there's also Jurassic Park, but it was +$50m with Thursday previews.

Edited by Juby
  • Like 8

If $4.75m for TGM is true, than I see $4.15m on Wednesday, $3.75m Thursday, $24.5m 6th weekend ($6.4m + $9.3m + $8.8m / -17.2% lw), $7.5m July 4th = +$570m next Monday, and about $595-599m on July 10th. $650-670 million domestic final is the target now.

I expect JWD to close the gap slight or stay within the same deficit behind JWFK with lot of people scheduling vacation with the 4th of July weekend coming.

Of course, given what Tuesday's were pre pandemic, it's well behind JWFK's Tuesday number. Roughly 1M as JWFK did 4.92M on it's third Tuesday. It should be ahead of it Wednesday and Thursday to close the gap a bit. As of Tuesday's number JWD is 31M~ behind JWFK. But, if the Wednesday drop is steep as they've been it's actually still pretty possible that JWD stay slightly behind JWFK on Wednesday and, potentially, Thursday too. JWFK did 3.2M and 2.9M on its third Wednesday and third Thursday.

The question will become after it gains a little ground the rest of this week/weekend/July 4th Monday, will it continue with Thor coming that weekend after the 4th of July? I'd assume not but it's possible? To best JWFK this coming weekend, JWD needs to do over 16.2M+. To best it the weekend that Thor opens, JWD will need to do 11.3M+. 

As of now, I'm pretty confident that 375M+ is happening for JWD so it'll at least edge out fellow blockbuster The Batman. I'm hoping that it can get to 385M+ though. Still very possible. If it matched/exceeded JWFK from here on out, JWD would do 387M~ DOM.

• Like 2

I agree that JWD is likely to have a 50%+ drop against Thor.

It will be coming off an inflated July 4th weekend number and is likely to lose alot of screens to Thor (I expect Thor to take more screens from JWD than TGM). 

June has been a somewhat disappointing month compared to pre-summer thoughts. Obviously TGM is a huge win, but JWD has been a disappointment relative to expectations and LY was a complete flop. Nothing else has really broken out. Decent but not great numbers.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

I agree that JWD is likely to have a 50%+ drop against Thor.

It will be coming off an inflated July 4th weekend number and is likely to lose alot of screens to Thor (I expect Thor to take more screens from JWD than TGM). 

June has been a somewhat disappointing month compared to pre-summer thoughts. Obviously TGM is a huge win, but JWD has been a disappointment relative to expectations and LY was a complete flop. Nothing else has really broken out. Decent but not great numbers.

I'm pretty happy with the Elvis and Black Phone numbers so far... We'll see how each holds up but I expect both to hold pretty well.

9 hours ago, Alex SciChannel said:

One thing I think some overlooked today is that Dominion actually has a larger 3rd Monday than Fallen Kingdom. Let @Brainbug the Dinosaur know when they wake up.

Eh, mostly difference in release weeks - weekdays around 4th of July are naturally inflated. FK’s second Monday fell in that period (July 2nd, so the gap last week was overstated), while JWD is getting some of that bump this week (will probably be split across 2 weeks given July 4th falls on a Monday)

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

Eh, mostly difference in release weeks - weekdays around 4th of July are naturally inflated. FK’s second Monday fell in that period (July 2nd, so the gap last week was overstated), while JWD is getting some of that bump this week (will probably be split across 2 weeks given July 4th falls on a Monday)

I don't think 4th of July weeks between the two films are directly comparable as Fallen Kingdom it landed on a Wednesday and for Dominion it lands on a Monday. And considering you aren't comparing Dominion's actual 4th of July week and instead associating the Monday 7 days before it as being influenced by it, I'd say your assessment is a bit of a stretch. Obviously Dominion won't earn comparable amounts on Tuesday anymore because of post pandemic trends but other  than that, it should be at least somewhat comparable to the 3rd week.

Edited by Alex SciChannel

@Alex SciChannel fyi on the Tmobile stuff - when it does happen, it is usually on Tuesdays, but the type of tickets isnt the same. Sometimes its for day of, sometimes its for anypoint, and its never every week. Usually as frequent as they can work a deal out, but usually at least once a month over the past year or so. 

As you follow trends, the tracking thread has had to deal with it when it has impacted films they are tracking, but not released. 

@TwoMisfits has been the harbinger of when they happen of late since I believe she has Tmobile for service. 

Edited by narniadis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex SciChannel said:

I don't think 4th of July weeks between the two films are directly comparable as Fallen Kingdom it landed on a Wednesday and for Dominion it lands on a Monday. And considering you aren't comparing Dominion's actual 4th of July week and instead associating the Monday 7 days before it as being influenced by it, I'd say your assessment is a bit of a stretch. Obviously Dominion won't earn comparable amounts on Tuesday anymore because of post pandemic trends but other  than that, it should be at least somewhat comparable to the 3rd week.

It’s that a decent number of people take vacation around July 4, often for a week (or more).  For FK, with a Wed 4th, far more people were off that Mon 7/2 than the comparable for JWD 

A Mon 4th is trickier, you get some inflation the week before but also in the week after, rather then a single week. But also FK had Ant-Man & Wasp as competition in week 3,  while JWD has Elvis and BP.

tl;dr- just wouldn’t read too much into that direct comparison 

8 hours ago, Juby said:

On Sunday TGM broke record for the "best legs" for a $100-million opener. Currently it's at x4.15. It will be over x5 when it's all done. For movies with +$50m OW (Friday releases) only two films have over x5.00 legs - Avatar (x9.74) and Jumanji: The Next Level (x5.40). Well, there's also Jurassic Park, but it was +$50m with Thursday previews.

TFA or any animated movie ?