Eric the IF

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

19 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

I doubt JWD is getting to $1 bil 

Talked out of my butt there... truly thought from its worldwide opening there was no way it could miss, but if you make a lousy movie, anything can happen...

Tangentially, an underspoken element of the new theatrical/streaming age is that shareholders of these big corporations are driven more by perceived success than actual revenue. It becomes easy to say in hindsight 'well Lightyear should've always been a Disney+ TV show' and deny any film they have like it coming up an actual box office run where it can make money before its streaming debut because they don't want the stink of failure that independent box office reporting may give you. And in reality Lightyear's serious underperformance has still been helping keep the daily box office humming alongside all the other movies that are doing as well or better than expected. The only way we'll get back to near pre-pandemic levels is if everything in the top ten is doing at least a couple million dollars-- so Lightyear pulling a couple million the July 15th weekend does make a difference...

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 4

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

No, it didn't. 

We do have 15 or so mixed to negative reactions. 

But it's just because this have way more reactions than usual, probably close to 150. There's a lot on the thread (and there's a few missing). 

But overall, probably around 90% of the reactions are positive, most of them very positive actually. But since yesterday there are some people trying to spin this for some reason, it even turn into a mini-discussion on the thread.

Marvel movie first reaction tweets are always glowing calling it one of the best Marvel movies or one of the best superhero movies ever. You have to read between the lines 

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Marvel movie first reaction tweets are always glowing calling it one of the best Marvel movies or one of the best superhero movies ever. You have to read between the lines 

Yes, we do read between the lines, majority of then are glowing. 

And this time instead of the usual 50 reactions coming out of the premiere, we have 3x more than that because Disney is doing multiple screenings for days now. 

Honestly, it's even offensive that me and some others always spend time digging reactions that counts to RT to compilate then on the threads just to people go there and pick whatever they want and turn the reality. This way honestly maybe it's better to not waste time compilating information on the thread if people just ignore it and say whatever they want.

This is not Thor thread so i won't go further, but this isn't true.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

Amazing for the yellow fuckers. I hate the Minions with a passion but im really glad that the film is breaking out. Especially because its proof that animated movies can still do really well in theaters.

Disney/Pixar/Chapek/Lightyear/Disney+ looking really silly in comparison.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Wait. Are you saying Thor 4 will open > MOM OW?

I think he's saying in long term. 

MOM legs was simply awful. If Thor opens with 155M (which seems reasonable unless it have a pretty meh final week), legs can compensate.

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Total.  Thor is going to easily blow past MoM due to lack of competition and summer legs.  

That is definitely possible. Let us wait for reviews/wom. MCU movies(especially sequels) have gotten more frontloaded due to fanbase expanding big time but summer weekdays will help thor for sure. Plus July has no other PG13 heavy hitter after Thor. 

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Total.  Thor is going to easily blow past MoM due to lack of competition and summer legs.  

Are you confident? I think it will need a super strong final week to reach +30M previews and get 180M OW. 

I think 28M previews and 155ish OW seems more reasonable, but let's hope you're right, having two overperformings back to back would be very nice.

Edit: just saw the total lol, ignore it. I think it's time to sleep.

Edited by ThomasNicole

Here is the honest truth about Disney/Pixar and their path forward.  I was one of the first that saw the kiss scene in Lightyear and said it was super harmless, sweet, loving and anyone who had an issue with it was an idiot.  

With that said, for movies and shows targeted at young children, including scenes of representation in every project is going to be a losing strategy overall for Disney.  At the end of the day, even parents that are completely supportive and comfortable with LGBTQ+ representation and gay rights just want to have their kids watch a movie that entertains and doesn't stir controversy every time you want to turn on something new.  The argument is valid that the fact that it is even "controversy" is the problem, but the reality is that people just want to be entertained.  

All that works great for adult skewing stuff like Doctor Strange: MoM and similar, but it is just going to tank projects like Lightyear and Baymax.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 3

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Are you confident? I think it will need a super strong final week to reach +30M previews and get 180M OW. 

I think 28M previews and 155ish OW seems more reasonable, but let's hope you're right, having two overperformings back to back would be very nice.

Dude, check your reading comprehension.  I'm talking about TOTAL, not opening weekend.  

• Knock It Off 1

Consensus seemed to be Thurs should have been closer to 9m, that it went significantly above probably means it did a little better outside of metro areas where most of the tracking comes from is my guess.

What kind of friday is minions looking at, high 20s to 30-ish is what I gather from the tracking thread. DM3 basically held even Friday to Saturday, Sunday might be down 5-10%, Monday down 15-25%...

10.75+29+29+27+23 seems reasonable if a little on the conservative side.

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Dude, check your reading comprehension.  I'm talking about TOTAL, not opening weekend.  

Yes, i put an edit like 5 seconds later. 

Give a reload on the page and it will appear, no need to be rude.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Eric the Minion said:

Imma be honest here, like obviously Top Gun 2 is the story of the summer and the most incredible performance...but Minions 2 is not that far behind, and you could make a solid argument that it's the crazier opener. The last couple movies had bad reception and most animated franchises similar to this like Ice Age get some big diminishing returns. So how is this going leaps and bounds ahead of DM3 and debuting only slightly behind the first Minions? It can't just be Lightyear bombing. Is it just because of the Minions name? I don't get it.

If you exclude Lightyear there’s been very limited family releases in the theater. May just be a factor of first big family animated film kids and parents are interested in since COVID started.