Eric the IF

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

10 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Here is the honest truth about Disney/Pixar and their path forward.  I was one of the first that saw the kiss scene in Lightyear and said it was super harmless, sweet, loving and anyone who had an issue with it was an idiot.  

With that said, for movies and shows targeted at young children, including scenes of representation in every project is going to be a losing strategy overall for Disney.  At the end of the day, even parents that are completely supportive and comfortable with LGBTQ+ representation and gay rights just want to have their kids watch a movie that entertains and doesn't stir controversy every time you want to turn on something new.  The argument is valid that the fact that it is even "controversy" is the problem, but the reality is that people just want to be entertained.  

All that works great for adult skewing stuff like Doctor Strange: MoM and similar, but it is just going to tank projects like Lightyear and Baymax.  

Omfg can y’all give this shitty take a rest already.

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Here is the honest truth about Disney/Pixar and their path forward.  I was one of the first that saw the kiss scene in Lightyear and said it was super harmless, sweet, loving and anyone who had an issue with it was an idiot.  

With that said, for movies and shows targeted at young children, including scenes of representation in every project is going to be a losing strategy overall for Disney.  At the end of the day, even parents that are completely supportive and comfortable with LGBTQ+ representation and gay rights just want to have their kids watch a movie that entertains and doesn't stir controversy every time you want to turn on something new.  The argument is valid that the fact that it is even "controversy" is the problem, but the reality is that people just want to be entertained.  

All that works great for adult skewing stuff like Doctor Strange: MoM and similar, but it is just going to tank projects like Lightyear and Baymax.  

“There’s no hard-and-fast evidence proving that the political conversation hurt Lightyear, although the film did under-index by a fairly large margin in the Midwest, according to a source with access to Comscore regional data. (Toy Story 4 was within the range of normal three years ago in the Midwest.)

Disney insiders counter that red-leaning states contributed the same percentage of the overall gross for Lightyear as they did for Sonic 2.

Lightyear also under-indexed in the Northeast, where many locales are Democratic-leaning, as well as in Canada. It overperformed in the West and in the Southeast, including in many Hispanic-led markets. (Hispanics made up more than 30 percent of the audience.)” from The Hollywood Reporter

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/lightyear-box-office-family-problem-1235169002/

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Question is would the jaundiced monsters impact TGM this weekend. Suddenly we have a uber opener instead of just another big opener. I certainly hope not. I think Minions OD including previews will be 45m+ !!!

The Thursday hold yesterday (-7%) was a lot nicer for TGM than when JWD opened (-26%). So I like to think Minions won’t impact it as much but we will see.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Yo, the gay agenda being so powerful that it takes down an entire company sounds rad as shit. More gayness in kids movies please, we gotta take down those awful capitalist fat cats!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

Yo, the gay agenda being so powerful that it takes down an entire company sounds rad as shit. More gayness in kids movies please, we gotta take down those awful capitalist fat cats!

The Baymax stuff especially is Rufo wanting to make a controversy out of nothing and it's good that news orgs aren't playing along with it so far. 

The scene itself is about buying pads or tampons and there's zero attention drawn to anything else they want to be angry about.

Meanwhile in the real world https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/floridas-dont-say-gay-law-takes-effect-schools-roll-lgbtq-restrictions-rcna36143

As Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' law takes effect, schools roll out LGBTQ restrictions

Some school officials have been accused of warning teachers not to wear rainbow articles of clothing and to remove pictures of their same-sex spouses from their desks.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The Baymax stuff especially is Rufo wanting to make a controversy out of nothing and it's good that news orgs aren't playing along with it so far. 

The scene itself is about buying pads or tampons and there's zero attention drawn to anything else they want to be angry about.

Hey at least Disney Dining played along.

hmm, Turning Red got more news stories about being controversial than the baymax stuff.

Wow! How glorious this is. A Pixar film absolutely bombs and then a minions film shocks the hell out of the members here at the forums. Many here seem to hate illumination, and yet they just keep on chugging out hits with a smidget of the budget of a Pixar film (75 mill production budget for last Minions film). 

I hope this one hits a billion dollars again. The second despicable me came within a sneeze of a billion dollars and then minions and despicable me 3 made a billion. Pretty sure this one can get there as well.

• Like 2

Just now, baumer said:

Wow! How glorious this is. A Pixar film absolutely bombs and then a minions film shocks the hell out of the members here at the forums. Many here seem to hate illumination, and yet they just keep on chugging out hits with a smidget of the budget of a Pixar film (75 mill production budget for last Minions film). 

I hope this one hits a billion dollars again. The second despicable me came within a sneeze of a billion dollars and then minions and despicable me 3 made a billion. Pretty sure this one can get there as well.

I hate Illumination and love Pixar but I am glad to see this Minions do well. Animation needed a win at the box office, and if it takes the annoying Twinkies to do it, that’s fine by me.

(also even as a Pixar fan, lightyear absolutely sucked so I’m pretty pleased with it underperforming anyway. Go minions!) 

• Like 6

Honestly this whole controversy is just an online thing. 

In real world, most people that cares about this will complain but go anyway if they really want to see the movie. And honestly i doubt it's that many that cares, most people probably doesn't even know about the kiss before the movie opened

I'm sure it's just an insignificant amount of people that would actually go from super excited to see it on opening weekend to boycott it because of 5 seconds.

In Lightyear case there was way more serious reasons for this flop, but even if it was the case, stop doing representation and letting this hateful minority wins is unnaceptable. Woman didn't accept the world simply deciding that they can't vote, and we won't accept people saying that 5 seconds of such a small LGBTQIA+ representation is degenerating children in a world that accept us being killed for giving hands on the street. 

It's 2022, we're also consumers, and companies must choose what side they want to be close for the whole world see because being neutral and get money from everyone won't happen anymore.

As for the Lightyear underperformance, I’m not denying that there’s some parents who couldn’t handle the concept of a gay kiss but at most, it wouldn’t be more than 5M at the OW for box office. Lightyear died because the signs for months were obviously pointing at an underperformance as the trailers never gained the momentum online like Detective Pikachu for instance (The warning signs were the memes of the concept and high views for just the teaser). It looked unappealing as fuck to every demographic and to add onto that Disney+ has trained the audience that it’ll be there 30-45 days later, it’ll take a few films to break that mold. If Strange World bombs it’s not because of the gay teens in that movie, it’s because the same reasons as Lightyear and probably because Disney will focus its marketing on Wakanda, Avatwo and the Holiday Disney+ slate.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

Impossible, most of the markets post a lower opening day than the first + it won’t have China. But it still would be super profitable tho.

June grosses ~$968m in total, just 30m short of $1bn, thanks to LY flop. 

First half of 2022 made around $3.65bn, down by 35% as compared to first half of 2019 which made near $5.7bn and down by 41% as compared to 1H2018 ($6.2bn). 

In term of admission, I believe we are only half way to the pre-pandemic level.