Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yeah I mean this was pretty obvious to anyone paying attention to RT from 2015 onwards. RT lowered the qualifications for RT certified critics which led to people like Jeremy Jahns getting in. RT scores have continually felt inflated since then compared to what those movies would have gotten in 2014 or 2015. And why the gap between the All Critics score and the Top Critics score keeps widening.

Still though, that speaks to how poorly Eternals was received if those outlets couldn’t even help it get to a fresh score.

Not that I think those outlets feel “incentivized” to give MCU movies good reviews. More likely they just really like MCU movies and nothing else.

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Nope. Last 4 pixar movies released direct to streaming bypassing movie theaters. Plus these Pixar original movies lack the huge fan base that MCU has built over past decade and half. They will go and watch it on theaters even if do hybrid like BW did an year back. That is why I say Pixar needs a big sequel to try to get back on track. It wont be easy for sure. 

yep. On your lack of a huge fan base for these new films comment, this is EXACTLY what I’ve been saying is the problem with major films debuting on streaming. 

if you’re a kid and you get taken to the theatre to see one of these movies that is an experience. You remember it. It feels like a big deal. You want every piece of it. 
When it’s a thumbnail that gets lost amongst the noise within days it just isn’t the same thing.  I’m never going to feel the same way about Soul as I do Up. Even though I think it’s a better movie. Why? Because when I think of Soul I associate it with my living room.  Up, I remember sat with a massive audience, recalling the laughter and the tears. 

These movies need to be in their church, on the big screen exclusively for months, before being behind a significant paywall for a period. 

There is not one advantage to not going down that route. Let alone zero proof not having these films debut or show up seven weeks on free streaming does anything to sub numbers. 

We all have bad experiences sometimes at theatres, but in general our best memories of films are seeing them at the movies. I mean imagine seeing Maverick for the first time on tv - fml. Instead we’ll treasure that film forever because of those memories. Even catching up with it on physical/digital we’ll look at it differently because we’ve seen it in all its glory. 

So yeah, Disney are quickly realising this and the writing is on the wall. There’s work to be done but I would not be in the bit surprised if they buy into a certain theatrical chain very soon. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

yep. On your lack of a huge fan base for these new films comment, this is EXACTLY what I’ve been saying is the problem with major films debuting on streaming. 

if you’re a kid and you get taken to the theatre to see one of these movies that is an experience. You remember it. It feels like a big deal. You want every piece of it. 
When it’s a thumbnail that gets lost amongst the noise within days it just isn’t the same thing.  I’m never going to feel the same way about Soul as I do Up. Even though I think it’s a better movie. Why? Because when I think of Soul I associate it with my living room.  Up, I remember sat with a massive audience, recalling the laughter and the tears. 

These movies need to be in their church, on the big screen exclusively for months, before being behind a significant paywall for a period. 

There is not one advantage to not going down that route. Let alone zero proof not having these films debut or show up seven weeks on free streaming does anything to sub numbers. 

We all have bad experiences sometimes at theatres, but in general our best memories of films are seeing them at the movies. I mean imagine seeing Maverick for the first time on tv - fml. Instead we’ll treasure that film forever because of those memories. Even catching up with it on physical/digital we’ll look at it differently because we’ve seen it in all its glory. 

So yeah, Disney are quickly realising this and the writing is on the wall. There’s work to be done but I would not be in the bit surprised if they buy into a certain theatrical chain very soon. 

My city had stopped showing Maverick after 2 weeks.

I happen to travel to a big city after 2 weeks where Maverick was still playing, ended up watching it in IMAX twice.

Can't imagine such movies on Streaming.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Let's be real, nobody in their senses is gonna say The Dark World is a superior film to Love & Thunder. 

Haha... I'm gonna!

Dark World is not a great movie, but it looks awesome (it's the only one where Asgard has some actual Game of Thrones style grandeur - the Asgards in every other Thor look like screensavers), it has a wonderful portal jumping conceit for its third act, and a lot of it is actually guided by a compelling idea that no matter what he's done you can never live with or without your brother.  And even if the infinity stone stuff in that movie feels fairly perfunctory, it ends up paying out huge in Endgame, which I never would've expected...

Love & Thunder has the energy of an Austin Powers or Anchorman sequel, where they really wanna triple down on all the jokes that felt fresh in Ragnarok and don't work a second time, but it also shares its stage with a hyper-sad storyline that doesn't have emotional logic to it so it's just a huge bummer against the bad flat comedy surrounding it (which Portman unsuccessfully plays, sadly). It also has the same baffling fetchquest storytelling logic of Rise of Skywalker, where you can truly feel how many scenes were cut out and how little anybody involved with the movie cared to make the story work dramatically, so they're just telling everything as fast as they can. Nearly every actor (even Hemsworth) feels like they were told what was going on in the scene moments before they filmed it. And it feels very apparent that the, uh, macguffins the villain has were added late into reshoots and just amplify all the other tonal clashes going on. 

Bale beats Eccelson, though, I'll give it that...

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 9

28 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Haha... I'm gonna!

Dark World is not a great movie, but it looks awesome (it's the only one where Asgard has some actual Game of Thrones style grandeur - the Asgards in every other Thor look like screensavers), it has a wonderful portal jumping conceit for its third act, and a lot of it is actually guided by a compelling idea that no matter what he's done you can never live with or without your brother.  And even if the infinity stone stuff in that movie feels fairly perfunctory, it ends up paying out huge in Endgame, which I never would've expected...

Love & Thunder has the energy of an Austin Powers or Anchorman sequel, where they really wanna triple down on all the jokes that felt fresh in Ragnarok and don't work a second time, but it also shares its stage with a hyper-sad storyline that doesn't have emotional logic to it so it's just a huge bummer against the bad flat comedy surrounding it (which Portman unsuccessfully plays, sadly). It also has the same baffling fetchquest storytelling logic of Rise of Skywalker, where you can truly feel how many scenes were cut out and how little anybody involved with the movie cared to make the story work dramatically, so they're just telling everything as fast as they can. Nearly every actor (even Hemsworth) feels like they were told what was going on in the scene moments before they filmed it. And it feels very apparent that the, uh, macguffins the villain has were added late into reshoots and just amplify all the other tonal clashes going on. 

Bale beats Eccelson, though, I'll give it that...

you’ve just convinced me to watch The Dark World today, for the first time since 2014. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Marvel needs to nail that Comic-Con panel on the 23rd. Really sell the fans on the upcoming slate. Otherwise they'll be more of a fractured mess than Star Wars's fanbase.

Expect nothing less . Disney has good PR , it's all about excution now.

As for becoming fractured  as starwars fanbase , nah doubt that.

Starwars fanbase is divided I think bse 

First of all OT,PT and ST all have devoted fanbases that will defend them at all costs ,even not acknowledging flaws .

Secondally think starwars has been in a state of creative bankruptcy for a while now.They are those myself included who want LF to be a little more creative and those are comfortable where starwars is now which is fine.clashes all result from this too.

MCU fanbase is not like this for now. General consensus even among the most optimistic ones is that phase 4 has been a stepdown and is not as good.

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

you’ve just convinced me to watch The Dark World today, for the first time since 2014. 

TDK has better visuals than TLT.

Yeah the villians suck and the plot is direction less and super generic but enjoyed bits of the action and all the bits with loki.

Not a good film but it's better than , TLT

Bottom 3 for me

IM2 6/10. Bad viillian,severely undermines elements of the first film.

TLT 6/10 could drop to 5.5 bse the more I think about it ,the worse it gets.

Eternal 5/10 . Boring paper thin characters for the most part and boring world. 

5 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Yeah pretty much. TDK was bad but TLT made me miss serious thor at points.

Phase 4 has made me appreciate phase 1 more.

Exactly this. I don’t mind a bit of fun in my Thor tale, but I would at least like them to take things semi-seriously. It’s now gone totally Monty Python. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Exactly this. I don’t mind a bit of fun in my Thor tale, but I would at least like them to take things semi-seriously. It’s now gone totally Monty Python. 

Nah, it would be cool if this had the wit of Monty Python comedies.