Eric is Quiet

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

There are different access levels. I think previews numbers are visible to distributor for their own movies.

They are rolled at end of day in overall numbers and based on some hourlies numbers, etc one can estimate the actuals, but they are usually almost accurate. The only major deviation I have noticed is TFA, its preview should be 54M.

Didn’t theaters run 24 hours for TFA? That discrepancy may be due to when one decided previews end and Friday began, which may not match what official reporting cutoff depending on when theaters closed out the day and switched over 

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Very good. 

150M is probably locked since it would have to get a lower IM than both DS2 and NWH to miss the milestone, and honestly i think it's a bit absurd to expect a Thor movie that already behave differently during presales to be more frontloaded than a juggernaut SM movie. 

I think 155-160M is the goal here. 

Its all about the true Friday no.

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I actually thought GA would like this better than MoM because of it being a colorful comedy. WTF has Taika done?

haven’t seen it yet but it seems they might have given him too much freedom. For Ragnarok, he directed but others handled the script 

35 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

AVATAR will stretch its legs now though. It only dropped 28.4% cumulatively from weeks 6-9

True, it will start making up the deficit with TGM and not look back moving forward.

I think with that kind of number it puts minions in line for at least a 50 million weekend. Maybe even as high as 52.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

haven’t seen it yet but it seems they might have given him too much freedom. For Ragnarok, he directed but others handled the script 

This movie feels like it had no script. Ragnarok’s script existed but was mostly thrown out on set but at least they knew where things were leading..  

6 minutes ago, Doffy said:

Wat if true Friday numbers are around 30 to 35 with previews 60 to 65 can it still gross 150 ow.

We know TF won't be that low (minimum should be $39M), but IF it did come in at that range the OW would be below $140M for sure. 

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

so the same that GotG 1 and 2. The first GotG had more than Gunn on the script and GotG 2 was pure Gunn

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think with that kind of number it puts minions in line for at least a 50 million weekend. Maybe even as high as 52.

Just as I said on weekdays thread, Minions 2nd weekend > Lightyear OW

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

so the same that GotG 1 and 2. The first GotG had more than Gunn on the script and GotG 2 was pure Gunn

GOTG 2 had more gunn but the script and all the pivotal moments where not undercut by humour .

Same can't be said for TLT though where taikas goes all in with little restraint and there was more improvisation than a properly written script.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Looking like 40m true friday according to presales I'm seeing in the tracking number thread. Sat jumps will be mute or can stay flat .

Let's see where walk-ups take us.

150-160m.

It can miss 150 if Fri comes in 40-42m range . But thinking 44-45m.

Yeah i saw, but it's too early so it should grow during the day (like the previews). 

I'm hoping for 43-44M too.

21 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I actually thought GA would like this better than MoM because of it being a colorful comedy. WTF has Taika done?

Yeah. I did too. Leans too heavy into Mel Brooks, Monty Python territory I'd think. It's more like that show he's involved with... Our Flag Means Death. I definitely liked TLT a good deal though. But, yeah, Portman, Thompson, Hemsworth, etc. just aren't as sharp with the improv chops that the folks he with on What We Do In The Shadows or some of his other films. So the humor, drama, action, visuals work outstandingly in spurts but also don't work at all in other stretches. It's going to be a jarring watch for some.

All that said, sink or swim, I love when directors are given HUGE leeway to do their thing on these big budget flicks. So, glad he took a big swing at it. And, for what worked in it for me really worked so glad it happened. Definitely get people pushing back on it though. 

With say, I was surprised the action beats weren't all that great. In concept, I love the idea, especially near the climax but the actual execution of the action isn't all that great there though.

Glad it's off to a good start and should finish comfortably above the 130 or so a few users kept hammering home.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

All audience RT score now 77%, just 3% higher than Eternals

This is mostly useless, it's too easy to manipulate this, especially for a movie with a tone that many die hard fans dislike and with women and LGBTQIA+ characters. 

Verified audience it's the more helpful grade. But still it's too early to say, this is the kind of movie that GA could ended up liking more than fans online, happened recently with JW.

Let's wait for CS, i doubt it will be like Eternals, probably A- / B+

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

GOTG 2 had more gunn but the script and all the pivotal moments where not undercut by humour .

Same can't be said for TLT though where taikas goes all in with little restraint and there was more improvisation than a properly written script.

GOTG 2 still has onr of the most emotional MCU moment of all time.

Yondu's death >> Tony, Natasha, Gamora 

Amd then that Funeral with his old partners, Sylvester Stallone renounced him in middle of the movie and then he was the one saying "He didn't let us down".

Just masterfully done. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

GOTG 2 still has onr of the most emotional MCU moment of all time.

Yondu's death >> Tony, Natasha, Gamora 

Amd then that Funeral with his old partners, Sylvester Stallone renounced him in middle of the movie and then he was the one saying "He didn't let us down".

Just masterfully done. 

Overall, I'd agree. I'd say Pratt's acting in the moment of Yondu's death undercuts it a bit. By the way, the little we got of the Guardians in TLT made me really look forward to seeing that gang together again. They're definitely more at home with improv and comedic beats any other group of heroes in the Marvel stuff. I miss them. Gunn will deliver.