Eric the Ape

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

4 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

The Rise of Skywalker was fucking horrible.  Easily the worst and most damaging movie in the franchise.  ZERO redeeming qualities.  

acting was fine, cgi not as distracting as prequels , stopping being a toxic fan 😃

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 hours ago, exomassey said:

Especially with Strange, Wanda and Thor of all characters. Arguable the most popular characters after the Infinity Saga and now their part of these films.

Can’t be good for the Marvel brand.

I feel like Strange (and to a degree Thor) are hollow characters. With RDJ you got this larger than life character, but throughout the series he deals with very real, down-to-earth problems. Strange basically left his old life and struggles with nothing but the mission at hand. It would have been nice to have a smaller scale film, where he struggles with wanting to go back to being a doctor, missing his old life, friends, colleagues, etc. With Thor, dude can lose his home planet and he's quipping jokes in the next scene. Loki had far more depth than Thor ever will.

1 hour ago, Felandria said:

Disney was MAD at the hardcore TLJ haters, and realized that they were never going to satisfy them no matter what they did, so they decided to give them everything they said they wanted……and make them regret it.

It was the old “Fine, leave, and don’t let the door hit you on the way out” to the most toxic fans, and since then, that’s when Disney was like, we’re not cutting crap out for the bigots in countries like China and Saudi Arabia, we don’t need your money, we are tired of trying so hard to pander to a relative handful of loud jerks who will never be satisfied unless you tell them they’re the most special little dumplings and only they matter.

Disney stopped caring if they complained because they knew half of them would still buy their crap anyway, and focused on the next generations.

Disney turned all their marketing material into a game of "Where's Waldo" for black characters. And apparently that means people can't criticize crappy writing. Disney is the company that loudly and proudly stood behind the 'Free Tibet' movement, then realized money is actually way better than Tibet, so the brought in Henry Kissinger to negotiate their return to China, lol.

To think the hardcore 'TLJ haters' are more bigoted than Disney is laughable. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, krla said:

Strange basically left his old life and struggles with nothing but the mission at hand. It would have been nice to have a smaller scale film, where he struggles with wanting to go back to being a doctor, missing his old life, friends, colleagues, etc

Did you watch Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and What If...

• Like 3

In terms of writing and plot Tros is worse than AoTC but the thing going for is that it is more watchable than AoTC. 

Tros is a movie you can watch and laugh at it's stupidity . AOTC is cringe at points where it's unbearable.

Tros definitely does more damage to the saga though. Makes the OT feel pointless.

12 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Did you watch Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and What If...

I haven't seen MoM yet (I watch all MCU films with my best friend, but he's been working), and I don't watch animated shows much, Are you suggesting I'm talking out of my ass? lol...

Donald Trump Lol GIF by GIPHY News

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I enjoyed TROS more than Thor 4. It’s a much better movie, regardless of how I actually don’t like what they did with the story and think it’s the worst of the saga.  

Love and Thunder just sort of happens. First half is really ‘is this actually going to get good? Is it me or is most of this comedy actually not funny?’

then it does get much better for the last act. I can’t excuse the mediocrity that came before though.  This is definite bottom three or four MCU for me. 

• Knock It Off 1

Phase 4 only has one movie that was loved Worldwide and that is not from Disney.

Shang-Chi ,the other movie that people loved was limited to mostly USA. 

People said I was hyper in making predictions about MCU losing it's trajectory but I was right.

Thor 4 should be making waves but it's just another mid MCU movies that majority just don't like

25 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Phase 4 only has one movie that was loved Worldwide and that is not from Disney.

People said I was hyper in making predictions about MCU losing it's trajectory but I was right.

Thor 4 should be making waves but it's just another mid MCU movies that majority just don't like

Box office wise MCU won't lose anything, most of the upcoming MCU projects are either 1st one or last one. 1st MCU Blade, deadpool, F4, black CA, Mutants, last ant-man & GOTG. Hype & excitement to see these movies 1st time & last time is so huge that they are certain to do $700-1B at box office & this could be the reason why they are not caring about quality now.

Top Gun: Maverick made $2.85m on Thursday.  It is at $582m going into this weekend.  

With that Thursday number, should be enough to hit around $17m+ and $600m will be passed either by Sunday night or Monday night.  

After this weekend with nothing huge coming out and its rewatchability and theatrical window, 30% drops or so should be the norm for it on the weekend.  

Has at least $50m+ in weekends going forward and the likely expansion on Labor Day.  Older skewing movie with summer weekdays feeding it as well.  

I am declaring $700m+ locked.  Enjoy the run.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

41 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

What does this even mean... 

Both Thor and Strange are doing the same as any Phase 3 movie without China except Black Panther and Avengers movies, literaly.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Not that the first 2 MCU phases had many movies praised/loved anyways.

Phase 1 had just IM. And then the first Avengers.

Phase 2 had Winter Soldier and Guardians. The rest had positive not great reviews.

Phase 3 is in another league, clearly benefiting from a more stablished and focused universe/characters, with the Infinity stones as cool mcguffins and a real villain.

Phase 4 is just a new start, presenting many new characters and themes. It already has 2 praised films and some praised series, Shang Chi, NWH, Loki & Wandavision. Only Eternals has had real problems with both critics and GA.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, krla said:

I feel like Strange (and to a degree Thor) are hollow characters. With RDJ you got this larger than life character, but throughout the series he deals with very real, down-to-earth problems. Strange basically left his old life and struggles with nothing but the mission at hand. It would have been nice to have a smaller scale film, where he struggles with wanting to go back to being a doctor, missing his old life, friends, colleagues, etc. With Thor, dude can lose his home planet and he's quipping jokes in the next scene. Loki had far more depth than Thor ever will.

Disney turned all their marketing material into a game of "Where's Waldo" for black characters. And apparently that means people can't criticize crappy writing. Disney is the company that loudly and proudly stood behind the 'Free Tibet' movement, then realized money is actually way better than Tibet, so the brought in Henry Kissinger to negotiate their return to China, lol.

To think the hardcore 'TLJ haters' are more bigoted than Disney is laughable. 

also evans- captain america. hes a fantastic actor as well is chris evans.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Top Gun: Maverick made $2.85m on Thursday.  It is at $582m going into this weekend.  

With that Thursday number, should be enough to hit around $17m+ and $600m will be passed either by Sunday night or Monday night.  

After this weekend with nothing huge coming out and its rewatchability and theatrical window, 30% drops or so should be the norm for it on the weekend.  

Has at least $50m+ in weekends going forward and the likely expansion on Labor Day.  Older skewing movie with summer weekdays feeding it as well.  

barack obama president GIF

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Nice

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Oh God he said "locked". For the love of God, that other guy, don't make it a big deal.