Eric Lasagna

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

Sooooo, when is Deadline gonna admit what new user this year they are, or that they read ALL of our posts in all of our forums...

I'm not sure you all saw this nugget in their Thursday preview, but I think I know which club they didn't join (at least in spirit)...now, do you read it with certainty or with a hint of a note of desperation - only you decide!:)

https://deadline.com/2022/07/box-office-thor-love-and-thunder-1235060300/#comments

"Clearly, Love and Thunder‘s weekend has to overshoot the dinosaurs’ gross."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 2

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Overall, I'd agree. I'd say Pratt's acting in the moment of Yondu's death undercuts it a bit. By the way, the little we got of the Guardians in TLT made me really look forward to seeing that gang together again. They're definitely more at home with improv and comedic beats any other group of heroes in the Marvel stuff. I miss them. Gunn will deliver.

Every single scene with Guardians were funny.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is mostly useless, it's too easy to manipulate this, especially for a movie with a tone that many die hard fans dislike and with women and LGBTQIA+ characters. 

Verified audience it's the more helpful grade. But still it's too early to say, this is the kind of movie that GA could ended up liking more than fans online, happened recently with JW.

Let's wait for CS, i doubt it will be like Eternals, probably A- / B+

Eternals was a female lead movie & it had actual gay kiss scene unlike L&T, so I say A-, B+ or B anything is possible

29 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is mostly useless, it's too easy to manipulate this, especially for a movie with a tone that many die hard fans dislike and with women and LGBTQIA+ characters. 

As far as I know the movie has no explicitly queer characters here and it's  just old-school queer-baiting. There's no reason for anyone to review-bomb this movie lol.

Tracking thread spot on again, with $29m. 

Down $7m on Doctor Strange 2 (it was down -35% on that film here in the UK too). But its multiplier should be better. 

I think $168-172m, which is great. 

Gonna guess Cinemascore as an A-

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

As far as I know the movie has no explicitly queer characters here and it's  just old-school queer-baiting. There's no reason for anyone to review-bomb this movie lol.

Of course there is, the “MSheU” crowd. 

All audience score is always useless though. That’s why the verified option is there. 

• Like 3

This movie goes so overboard with the comedy that it becomes a parody. It is non-sensible, random, aimless and awkward. Audience in my showing, more than once, laughed at the movie (not because of its humor) and literally said "what the heck is happening?".

I see bad legs coming.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Porthos said:

Thor: Love and Thunder Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report:
PREMIERE NIGHT (FINAL REPORT) [3:45pm-4:35pm]

Capped

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

42.33%

Total Showings Added Since Mid-Day

Total Seats Added Since Mid-Day

Total Seats Sold Since Mid-Day

T-0 [Mid-Day] Comps

%

Sold Since
Mid-Day

Total

Sold

Sellouts

Shows

Seats Left

Total Seats

Perct

Sold

Final

Sold

% of

Final

Comp

BW [4:20-5:20]

0/260

23235/32431

28.36%

184.45%

25.49m

NWH [3:00-4:30]

4/395

15229/43412

64.92%

60.19%

30.09m

MoM [3:30-4:35]

0/409

25412/46529

45.38%

80.32%

28.92m

FINAL SOLD NOTES: "Final sold" is the number of tickets sold for the movie in question at stop of tracking while "% of final" is the percentage of Love and Thunder's current tickets sold versus that final number.

COMP NOTE: The BW comp has been adjusted to reflect the absence of Ontario theaters in the DOM market during BW's pre-sale run (what would normally be the comp/0.955)

Regal:       2227/6632  [33.58% sold]
Matinee:    1355/3713  [36.49% | 7.99% of all tickets sold]

====

Jesus Flippin' Christ, what a day. :lol:   Pretty much mirrored what @Inceptionzq saw in Denver (edit: And what @katnisscinnaplex saw in their regionals  as well [they posted while I was  getting the Sacto numbers]).  

Not gonna quite call for 29.5m though, as I said I was gonna anchor on MoM.  So with that in mind, let's go for an even 29m +/- .8m.

(also congrats to @katnisscinnaplex who nailed it exactly as well [as well as @ZackM and @M37)

• Like 2

Legs are gonna be brutal for Thor. A $150m OW would still mean less than $350m overall.

Ragnarok with great WOM had a 2.58x multiplier...this will do similar to DS2. 

If it opens to $150m, it'll cap off around $330m. If it opens to $140m (highly unlikely with that preview number, then it won't even pass Ragnarok's total.

But let's wait for OD numbers. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Legs are gonna be brutal for Thor. A $150m OW would still mean less than $350m overall.

Ragnarok with great WOM had a 2.58x multiplier...this will do similar to DS2. 

If it opens to $150m, it'll cap off around $330m. If it opens to $140m (highly unlikely with that preview number, then it won't even pass Ragnarok's total.

But let's wait for OD numbers. 

Noctis you have 25k posts on a Box Office forum surely you know by now that you can't compare OW legs between summer releases and november releases...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Noctis you have 25k posts on a Box Office forum surely you know by now that you can't compare OW legs between summer releases and november releases...

I mean, you would think so at least....

27 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

People i know tell me there's 2 openly queer characters, but i didn't see the movie. I'm sure it's something irrelevant for the plot tho, but so is Lightyear.

But i mean, it doesn't really need to have anything big, there is a group of people that review bomb any movie with a female getting any protagonism (in this case Natalie Portman). 

Someone already said, but there is the MSheU people doing their absurd things.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Verified audience it's the more helpful grade. But still it's too early to say, this is the kind of movie that GA could ended up liking more than fans online, happened recently with JW.

Let's wait for CS, i doubt it will be like Eternals, probably A- / B+

Yep. Review bombing for Captain Marvel is why the Verified Audience stat even exists.

It's why Ms Marvel has an 81 pércent audience score (which would be seen on here as something despised by all who saw it) but it has a 98 with critics, the highest of any MCU release ever, including Black Panther.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

but the bad WOM can compensate, so it can still have a worst multiplier than a well received movie in November. 

Plus its first weeked is of course more frontloaded than Ragnarok after Thor 2, cause thor 2 was really hated and this come after 2 big marvel releases and is the sequel of a really apprecciated third chapter with the same director and style. 

26 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Tracking thread spot on again, with $29m. 

Down $7m on Doctor Strange 2 (it was down -35% on that film here in the UK too). But its multiplier should be better. 

I think $168-172m, which is great. 

Gonna guess Cinemascore as an A-

85% verified score more like B+ and small change at a B if the score drops .

150-160m weekend . 165m at best .

Mcu is only get more frontloaded due to 3pm preview starts.