Eric the Ape

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

what? I thought everyone agreed that movie was crap. Well. Nearly everyone.

I dunno, I just recall Star Wars geeks i.e. Last Jedi haters dick-riding RoS. 

• Haha 1

One thing Marvel has going for it over Star Wars is there wasn't that huge gap between the OT and PT (and then PT and ST) for Marvel. That gap allowed fan's idea of what Star Wars was to solidify in a way that hasn't happened with Marvel. That has hampered Star Wars to a degree that Marvel hasn't had to worry about.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Orestes said:

One thing Marvel has going for it over Star Wars is there wasn't that huge gap between the OT and PT (and then PT and ST) for Marvel. That gap allowed fan's idea of what Star Wars was to solidify in a way that hasn't happened with Marvel. That has hampered Star Wars to a degree that Marvel hasn't had to worry about.

They're also just structured very differently. The interwoven subfranchises thing meant a lack of s set aside portion to hold up as like, "true MCU."

However I think we are rapidly seeing that infinity saga feels set apart (perhaps aided by COVID), and may become the OT analogue.

Edited by Legion and Thunder

2 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Not having a hard and fast canon certainly helps as well, anything that's seen as going "too far" always feels reversible or at least easily backtracked. Also Marvel is basically a lot of separate fandoms that occasionally get together for big events. Otherwise, they mostly just hang out in their own corners. 

• Like 3

Marvel has enough good will and no real toxicity, just insecurity, among fans that I don’t think the brand is diluted just yet.

BP2 won’t be very good probably and make substantially less but that’s an asterisk movie. General audiences will probably find it acceptable enough with like an A- CS. Guardians 3 will be fine. Antman hasn’t really broken out yet but that movie sounds like a winner so maybe it has a Ragnarok moment next year. 

The Marvels and Blade is when I start to worry. I am pretty confident about Marvels shitting the bed while a great Blade can really reaffirm the good will and faith. I think if Feige can at least pull off Blade and put together a nice F4/Mutants cast.. it can escape this SW/Jurassic World burnout. Deadpool 3 would just be a cherry on top

• Like 1

Thor's word of mouth is going to be a huge step down from Ragnarok.

It is much too short for everything it crams in and the tone feels all over the place. This is a huge letdown given the talent involved. 

• Like 1

Marvel's strongest and most undeniable asset throughout has been QUALITY. They had virtually no "bad" films and maybe 3-4 "meh" films (IRON MAN 2 & 3, The Dark World, Dultron) from Iron Man to Endgame. The run of CIVIL WAR > GOTG 2 >RAGNAROK > BLACK PANTHER > INFINITY WAR > ENDGAME was all time insane sprint quality wise. History says Marvel should have gone off track somewhere between 2008 and 2019, but it never really happened. That run is not only the most incredible achievement in film financial history, it will probably ALWAYS be that way. 

In 2006, if you had told - anyone on Earth - that in 10 years, Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man and Chris Evans Captain America would be immortal cinematic legends, that would have been met with profound laughter. Downey was in a position more akin to current Lindsay Lohan than Hollywood A-lister while Evans was a D-list young actor who was totally overshadowed by Josh Hartnett, Heath Ledger, and Ashton Kutcher in the early 2000s. 

It's hard to fully describe how impressive Marvel's 2008-2019 run was quality wise, and it created an otherworldly amount of good will among audiences. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

TROS was a very entertaining film that made no sense, from the very first sentence of the crawl , i knew we were in for a magical experience

My friend just dissolved in laughter at the first sentence, he couldn't contain himself at how ridiculous it was. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Thor's word of mouth is going to be a huge step down from Ragnarok.

It is much too short for everything it crams in and the tone feels all over the place. This is a huge letdown given the talent involved. 

Wasn’t this obvious from the trailers which offered little insight regarding the plot and villain?

I loved Thor4, cried a little at the end, 8.75/10

as for TRoS, there’s something I love about it, not as an actual movie, mind you, but what it represented.

To me, it represented a father who catches their kid smoking and makes them finish the whole pack so they never want to smoke again.

Disney was MAD at the hardcore TLJ haters, and realized that they were never going to satisfy them no matter what they did, so they decided to give them everything they said they wanted……and make them regret it.

It was the old “Fine, leave, and don’t let the door hit you on the way out” to the most toxic fans, and since then, that’s when Disney was like, we’re not cutting crap out for the bigots in countries like China and Saudi Arabia, we don’t need your money, we are tired of trying so hard to pander to a relative handful of loud jerks who will never be satisfied unless you tell them they’re the most special little dumplings and only they matter.

Disney stopped caring if they complained because they knew half of them would still buy their crap anyway, and focused on the next generations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

At my 2 local NJ theaters, Thursday is looking better than expected.  Friday...not so much.

"Thor"sday:

Ticket Solds      Total Seats        Capacity

Theater 1:

1045 2735 38.21%

Theater 2:

781 1183

66.02%

DS:MOM Comp: $30.88M (.8103x)

Friday:

Ticket Solds      Total Seats        Capacity

Theater 1:

633 2632

24.05%

Theater 2:

674 1690 39.88%

DS:MOM Comp: $30.64M (.6388x)

DS:MOM Comp (Th+Fri): $61.52M (.6781x)

Due to the front-loaded nature of Marvel and almost an entire Summer day of previews, Thor's Friday ain't looking too hot.  I do believe Thor's Friday will gain more sales than Doctor Strange did, s o expect that number to go up.

• Thanks 1

Marvel is like Hydra. If they kill one franchise, another three will take its place.

Star Wars is different animal. When TLJ fumbled the ball the entire thing was compromised.

Even with Avengers, a major crossover event, a subpar movie like AOU didn't kill the momentum too much.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Marvel is like Hydra. If they kill one franchise, another three will take its place.

Star Wars is different animal. When TLJ fumbled the ball the entire thing was compromised.

Even with Avengers, a major crossover event, a subpar movie like AOU didn't kill the momentum too much.

I totally heard that in Red Skull voice. 

• Haha 3

as for TRoS, there’s something I love about it, not as an actual movie, mind you, but what it represented.

To me, it represented a father who catches their kid smoking and makes them finish the whole pack so they never want to smoke again.

Disney was MAD at the hardcore TLJ haters, and realized that they were never going to satisfy them no matter what they did, so they decided to give them everything they said they wanted……and make them regret it.

As what Disney probably considers a TLJ hater, I'm not sure your example holds up.

I haven't seen TRoS.  When something I love gets turned into a joke, I lose interest.   (To me, the "Holdo Maneuver" was the dumbest thing ever done in a major movie franchise.  Apparently, if you lightspeed into something it goes boom, and trillions of people over thousands of years were unable to figure this out.)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

the star wars backlash was just as big during the prequels, just the internet was not as big , spreading hate from everywhere

• Like 7