Eric is Anxious

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

It wasn't about his abs.  Might want to re-read, and again, a comment about his pecs or abs would be fine.  "Damn he's so ripped!" is more than appropriate.  It's the wanting to kiss them with the drooling emoji.  

This isn't that hard, vale9001.  

That scene is  there to let people said i want to kiss this abs. Come on 😅.

The director knows it, Hemsworth knows it.

Moderation

I'm still not sure why people here are in a tizzy on something that is fairly mild compared to posts made countless times in the past, but we're done with this whole Hemsworth sexualizing controversy. If anybody still wants to talk to me about this, just shoot me a PM. Continue the conversation further here, you'll be threadbanned.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Okay genuine question 

Why is no one at Marvel talking or addressing the sudden drop in quality? On the contrary they are just increasing these mediocre spamming of TVs and Movies rather than looking at the problem.

Has success of Phase 3 made them too much over confident? 

What we call drop in quality, they call "We gave them a Chloe Zhao movie, a Sam Raimi movie and another Taika Waititi movie, why aren't they responding better?" 

One cannot accuse them of sloppiness or resting on their laurels since they hired top talent. But those movies didn't resonate like they hoped , so you bet they are looking into it. 

That said, you know why they are increasing mediocre TV spam. Disney demands D+ content. Lucasfilm is too slow at getting anything off the ground. So it has to be Marvel to do the work for everyone.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

I mean for example yes it was Infinity Saga, but first few solo MCU movies were solely building towards The Avengers.

They had in mind what they need to do down the line, but their main focus was Avengers.

Here in Phase 4 i feel currently they are thinking what they need to do many years later, and doubt so many different things which are different to each other.

Only place where i felt we are really in MCU we know was Shang Chi post credit scene.

5 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

That scene is  there to let people said i want to kiss this abs. Come on 😅.

The director knows it, Hemsworth knows it.

Taika knows it indeed, look how happy he was with Hemsworth on top of him.

King behavior tbh

• Like 1

Godzilla 2014 is the best, like miles better than others. It’s super different. Slow buildup and reveal always makes me on the edge of the sea. It also succeeded on keeping that tempo and tensions throughout the film. Keep me wondering what kind, how big, how many Godzilla and monster are there. Plus it has the best cinematography, direction and most cool scenes. Not to mention the gloomy soundtrack and theme. 

also this iconic line

recap bachelorette GIF

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Back to what this thread is actually for, the Thor early number looks like $40m for today.  

So right around Jurassic World Dominion's OW. Probably a bit less if that $40m sticks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

What we call drop in quality, they call "We gave them a Chole Zhao movie, a Sam Raimi movie and another Taika Waititi movie, why aren't they responding better?" 

One cannot accuse them of sloppiness or resting on their laurels since they hired top talent. But those movies didn't esonate like they hoped , so you bet they are looking into it. 

That said, you know why they are increasing mediocre TV spam. Disney demands D+ content. Lucasfilm is too slow at getting anything off the ground. So it has to be Marvel to do the work for everyone.

Certainly hasn't worked out as well as hoped but they definitely gave Zhao and Raimi and, especially, Waititi a lot of rope. Something they used to do not that often. I'm glad they're doing it... I imagine Gunn will essentially doing whatever he wants to which is exciting for me. He's already been given room already but even more now. But, I wonder if Feige will start try reign every filmmaker in a little bit here soon.

I'm not sure why Marvel would publicly discuss and admit their missteps. Where would the stage even be? Feige already mentioned at CinemaCon he's taking time at a resort to map out the rest of Phase 5. And in 2 weeks, ComicCon will present release dates and some casting news which can alleviate some of this recent fan doubt. 

I'm sure they were aware/understood Dr. Strange and Thor 4 were disappointments. For various reasons. everyone involved in Strange remarked how COVID changed production around. And Thor had very weak marketing and buzz.

5 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Godzilla 2014 is the best, like miles better than others. It’s super different. Slow buildup and reveal always makes me on the edge of the sea. It also succeeded on keeping that tempo and tensions throughout the film. Keep me wondering what kind, how big, how many Godzilla and monster are there. Plus it has the best cinematography, direction and most cool scenes. Not to mention the gloomy soundtrack and theme. 

also this iconic line

recap bachelorette GIF

It has a problem, once they revealed Godzilla, there was no reason to keep cutting away from fights.

First reveal of Godzilla was in Hawai, and since then they must've cut from fight multiple times, this pissed off people.

But yes, the whole Hawaiian sequence right from the start Tsunami to the Stomp in airport and the reveal with the roar is the most well crafted moment in Monsterverse history.

• Like 1

$140m is necessary for Thor to basically get it above Ragnarok. 

What's interesting is that in terms of admissions, Thor 4 won't beat Ragnarok for sure and will beat Thor 1 but not by nearly as much as people think. 

• Like 1

Hold up....so 29 Million previews but True Friday is 40 Million?   Definitely showing front loaded signs but let's see how the rest of the weekend unfolds.    Looks like "Jurassic" will be the bar.   But I'll give it to Marvel fans, they do rush out and see the film immediately because that 29 Million Preview number is pretty good actually.   So Doctor Strange is now more popular than Thor? Or did it get that "No Way Home" bump. 

Edited by filmscholar

17 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Certainly hasn't worked out as well as hoped but they definitely gave Zhao and Raimi and, especially, Waititi a lot of rope. Something they used to do not that often. I'm glad they're doing it... I imagine Gunn will essentially doing whatever he wants to which is exciting for me. He's already been given room already but even more now. But, I wonder if Feige will start try reign every filmmaker in a little bit here soon.

Yeah, they can afford to make more auteur-driven movies, which is a noble goal, certainly not something to give a side-eye. And to be fair, the biggest problem with all 3 was the script not the director's flare for comedy or horror or golden hour light. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Noctis said:

So right around Jurassic World Dominion's OW. Probably a bit less if that $40m sticks.

sounds about right, as now that we are in the thick of July weekdays, a small portion of the weekend audiences will bleed into weekdays instead (as compared to early/mid June).

This should finish close to JWD, so maybe 350? Not bad at all for a Thor film. 

Just now, VanillaSkies said:

sounds about right, as now that we are in the thick of July weekdays, a small portion of the weekend audiences will bleed into weekdays instead (as compared to early/mid June).

This should finish close to JWD, so maybe 350? Not bad at all for a Thor film. 

It's not sniffing $350m with the WOM it's getting.

Probably $325m-$330m if it ends up with a $140m OW.

• Like 1