Eric is Quiet

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

43 minutes ago, cannastop said:

EjZ_-IEX0AE_uDn.jpg

I understand why certain actors could get $7.5 million upfront for a part in an MCU sequel, or Lena Headey getting that much for a Game of Thrones movie. It just seems odd she could command that much for a Thor movie where the role was ultimately insignificant enough to cut (if the reports are accurate).

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Thor was perfectly fine. It was basically 'Marvel Lite' where a little less effort was put forth on all fronts. There's an airiness about it, edging closer to a Saturday morning cartoon.

The usual caveats of lacklustre production, CGI, score, sound mix, cinematography and action sequences apply.

Waititi's comedy works for me and helps the film stand out amongst it's MCU brethren. Goats are GOAT. 

Bale seemed like he was having a hell of a time, one of the better MCU villains.

Attempts at emotional heft are struck by that Marvel Lite thing. They garner a mild reaction. 

It's an irreverent Thor adventure with characters you like having fun interactions but with even 10 more minutes it could have been so much more.

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Eternals started off disjointed but came together nicely. Stakes felt high and the worldbuilding was done quite well, characters and story worked great for me. It's the second-best movie of this phase for me, only slightly behind NWH. 

I'm a fan. It's not fantastic or anything, but the pure form of it is better than 80% of Marvel movies. 

I don't even know where the MCU phases begin and end.

But Eternals is the only MCU movie I actively want a sequel to(well I guess I'm down for Gaurdians 3 as well but you get it)

Edited by Ethan Hunt

4 hours ago, Gopher said:

Hard to imagine Thor ending much below Jurassic Dominion total with July weekdays. Ant Man and the Wasp collapsed -62% weekend two, which I imagine Thor would be lucky to match, and legged it out from there to nearly a 3x. July weekdays are too strong and there's nothing getting this out of bigger auditoriums until Nope. 

Anyone else feeling a big Bullet Train breakout? I've heard the script is phenomenal, and it's the kind of ensemble engineered to get every demo through the door...

140-145m weekend

43-52m weekdays

47-55m second weekend (62-67%)

230-242m by end of 2nd weekend

335m -365m dom.

Its becoming pretty evident that MCU has weaker openings when the reviews are bad. It'll probably always have good openers unless the franchise becomes completely toxic but will fail to hit its potential without amazing WOM. This is not a critic proof franchise.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the average 2022 ticket price is? Curious to make adjusted for inflation comparisons since the new Box Office Mojo is way behind on providing that information.

2021 as well.

Edited by superduperm

5 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Does anyone know what the average 2022 ticket price is? Curious to make adjusted for inflation comparisons since the new Box Office Mojo is way behind on providing that information.

2021 as well.

13 hours ago, Legion and Thunder said:

There has been 18.5% CPI inflation from nov 2017 to may 2022. 2017 atp was 8.97, 2021 full year was 10.17, so 13.4% — very close to CPI 13.1% from dec 2017 to dec 2021. So 2022 ATP will probably be about 7% higher, 10.88, for ~21%.    

Call it an even 20% for 2017-2022 and it’s a similar amount of CPI inflation as  2007-2017 or atp inflation as 2009-2017 — taking rag to about 370-380M

• Like 1