Eric is Anxious

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The Black Phone with the best drop in the top 10 is pretty cool. Could actually get close to a $90M finish if it continues to see drops like this.

Elvis and Black Phone are each having awesome multipliers from their OW DOM. It's great to see. Close to over 4+ multi for each.

Elvis and BP offer good counter-programming for summer crowd. I admit I was not very happy with Elvis opening since tracking suggest a number closer to 40m but its leg largely wash away the negativity. If it follow ASIB’s 11m weekend from here , it will get to 140m.

As for TBP, I thought it is a horror? It is so unusual to see a horror hold this good. The power of B+ cinemascore for horror.  

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

As for TBP, I thought it is a horror? It is so unusual to see a horror hold this good. The power of B+ cinemascore for horror.  

That and the lack of Horror competition.

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

It's much more of a thriller than a straight-up horror movie, which is why it's having good holds. That and also being a definite crowd-pleaser. My audience reacted with applause and cheers at one point during the movie like the kind you would only expect at a Marvel movie.

Lets not forget The Black Phone is getting released on VOD next Tuesday (which also means it will be available online to download) while Elvis will be on HBO in early August.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lets not forget The Black Phone is getting released on VOD next Tuesday (which also means it will be available online to download) while Elvis will be on HBO in early August.

I am actually start to consider if PvOD will help mid-sized film since the additional buzz volume generated from PVOD viewers and the marketing from various platform that in turn help a movie to sustain its latter box office run. Let see if TBP will prove that. 

11 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Luhrmann said it isn't going there next month and the fact is this was always more of Kilar's baby.

Zaslav clearly isn't as beholden to HBO Max.

How can a WB distributed film escaped its 45 days hbo max policy? I don’t see any report from either producer or WB confirm the special treatment for Elvis.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's much more of a thriller than a straight-up horror movie, which is why it's having good holds. That and also being a definite crowd-pleaser. My audience reacted with applause and cheers at one point during the movie like the kind you would only expect at a Marvel movie.

so it is not exactly a supernatural horror or slasher film that tend to free fall in leg.