charlie Jatinder

11-14 Weekday Thread | Featuring Future BOFFY Award Winning Meltdown of Our Fallen False God

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Speaking of non-MCU fanbases with toxic fanbases and long Box Office Mojo histories, I thought the new Lord of the Rings trailer today kicked ass. And I thought the first teaser looked dogshit, so that's a big turnaround. I've gone from skeptical to cautiously optimistic.

I still find the core concept funny. in the last decade we've seen Tolkien's son re-adapt and re-release 3 epic stories with strong characters and stirring set piece battles. Thus they're adapting...the thing they chose because "young aragorn" fell apart based on the "faction" that never really made a whole lot of sense. They're both adapting almost nothing into a prequel and condensing thousands of years into 10? I know the reason is lack of rights but it still sounds just inherently stupid. 

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Said this previously, but I think the difference is in who dislikes it and why. Strange was seen by some as letdown from advertising, turning off fans, and subject material that limited the GA appeal, especially families. Generally better WOM, but from a then reduced audience pool

Thor seems to have worse reception with fans in terms of quality, which is why its dailies are falling down so quickly, but the slapstick rather than scary tone is more palatable with GA/families, which could help the legs/soften drops in the longer run. As a parent, I've sat through many a terrible animated movie just to get kids out of the house for a few hours

Agree with others a bad second weekend is incoming, but doesn't necessarily mean precipitous drops will continue

But, as someone mentioned in the original Thor weekend thread, for whatever reason, kids don't care much about Thor.  He's been the least drawing family Avenger through all his solo campaigns...I mean, OW, he got 4 (or was it 5%) kids...and that's b/c the parents, at 9%, probably dragged them to avoid babysitting, b/c it was 2 parents for every 1 kid...

So, for this Avenger, being kid friendly/GA friendly doesn't help...

1 hour ago, James said:

This looks so good wow. 

Its insane to me that TV shows are looking like actual movies. Granted, its the most expensive show ever made but still.

WOW. This looks soooo much better than that first trailer. Definitely on the hype train now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I know the reason is lack of rights but it still sounds just inherently stupid. 

can you please expand on that

is the series adapting the second age as tolkien wrote it or is it all new content?

1 minute ago, Xavier said:

https://www.the-numbers.com/news/252230830-2022-market-prediction-Maverick-gives-theatrical-business-a-giant-lift

Are they, like, crazy? Do they actually have Avatar 2 at $320mil domestic?

No, that's just their prediction for what it grosses up to end of december 2022. Obviously still low though but I'm pretty sure they have been steadily increasing it and probably will increase it further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James said:

Its insane to me that TV shows are looking like actual movies. Granted, its the most expensive show ever made but still.

I remember the movies looking better than that, something about it still screams "cheap"

Come to think of it, I did wonder why a weekday thread was at page 13 or so on a random weekday, but didn’t actually read enough of the thread to see why.

(this was before the PMs and notifications rolled in)

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I still find the core concept funny. in the last decade we've seen Tolkien's son re-adapt and re-release 3 epic stories with strong characters and stirring set piece battles. Thus they're adapting...the thing they chose because "young aragorn" fell apart based on the "faction" that never really made a whole lot of sense. They're both adapting almost nothing into a prequel and condensing thousands of years into 10? I know the reason is lack of rights but it still sounds just inherently stupid. 

Comparing the people who made this show to Christopher Tolkien is a joke.

Christopher Tolkien had listened to his father telling tales from his mythology since he was a kid. The last book he published was when he was 93. That's almost 90 years of being involved in his father's creation.

Tolkien sent chapters of The Lord of the Rings to his son to read as it was being written during WW2.

In the final years of Tolkien's life he and Christopher discussed The Silmarillion and Tolkien's wish was for his son to continue his work when he died if he himself could not finish it.

Christopher Tolkien spend 50 years of his life researching and editing his father's work. He made a 12 book series detailing the creation of the mythology.

Christopher Tolkien's position was always to present the stories as close to what his father intended as possible. Any editorial decision he made was explained in his editor's notes. It was never to re-imagine or remake them.

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But, as someone mentioned in the original Thor weekend thread, for whatever reason, kids don't care much about Thor.  He's been the least drawing family Avenger through all his solo campaigns...I mean, OW, he got 4 (or was it 5%) kids...and that's b/c the parents, at 9%, probably dragged them to avoid babysitting, b/c it was 2 parents for every 1 kid...

So, for this Avenger, being kid friendly/GA friendly doesn't help...

It was 5% kids under 12, not kids overall, so doesn't include teens (with families or without), for a total of 14%. Those are figures Deadline gets from Disney exit polling, who for some reason count 13+ as not part of a family, even if they go with parents, hence the odd parent/kid ratio

How about a challenge? Without looking it up, see if you (or anyone) can match the Disney reported family turnout on OW to the title

GOTG2

Black Widow

Shang-Chi

Eternals

Strange MoM

Reported: 12%, 12%, 15%, 19%, 23%

I would have failed my own test here fwiw

7 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think they think it ruined their childhood.

SW doesn't reach the highs of GoT. So TROS disappointing doesn't feel much to me personally.

GOT8 is like the biggest collapse of a massive cultural IP

I personally know people who won't even go back and watch Seasons 1-4 and 6 because of 8.  And I thought people were mad about the ending of LOST.

2 hours ago, James said:

This looks so good wow. 

Amazon's The Rings of Power:  A Lord of the Rings Story

1 hour ago, baumer said:

It's insane to me that Lord of the rings came out more than 20 years ago now.

and still the GOAT

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Comparing the people who made this show to Christopher Tolkien is a joke.

Christopher Tolkien had listened to his father telling tales from his mythology since he was a kid. The last book he published was when he was 93. That's almost 90 years of being involved in his father's creation.

Tolkien sent chapters of The Lord of the Rings to his son to read as it was being written during WW2.

In the final years of Tolkien's life he and Christopher discussed The Silmarillion and Tolkien's wish was for his son to continue his work when he died if he himself could not finish it.

Christopher Tolkien spend 50 years of his life researching and editing his father's work. He made a 12 book series detailing the creation of the mythology.

Christopher Tolkien's position was always to present the stories as close to what his father intended as possible. Any editorial decision he made was explained in his editor's notes. It was never to re-imagine or remake them.

The intended analogy is to the sources they're adapting. Instead of adapting that stuff Tolkien's son continued to collect and refine (people really should check out those published books), they're technically extrapolating 5 pages from Return of the King - Appendix A - The Numenorian Kings, plus <10 pages "On Durin's Folk," a series of 1 line annals entries comprising Appendix B and some stray references Tolkien inserts into Aragorn or Elrond's mouth. They're obviously going to fake it to some degree and pull inspirations from the wider corpus but they're still working from cliffnotes here. 

Christopher Tolkien could stitch those first age stories together because they're the actual stories Tolkien focused on for significant portions of time throughout the years. There's a significant chunk of those stories written that you could hypothetically adapt from and instead they're going the fantastic beasts route. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

No, that's just their prediction for what it grosses up to end of december 2022. Obviously still low though but I'm pretty sure they have been steadily increasing it and probably will increase it further.

Shouldn't they be low by design? It seems designed to miss extreme events in favor of nailing normal ones. 

Based on their weekly posts, the numbers' formula also appears to (1) generate the closest 10? comps (2) grab the *median* OW gross of those films to extrapolate from (3) pull pandemic effects/theatrical release size variables and (4) throw in presale tracking. 
plus (5) some sort of legs analysis missing from opening weekend prediction descriptions.