grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

42 minutes ago, cannastop said:

IDK... wasn't Gone Girl also "chick lit"? Actually I'm not sure.

I don't know if I would call it "chick lit" but it is certainly a novel targeted more towards women than men. The film is easily one of my favorite films from the 2010s, perhaps even in my Top 10 for the decade. I loved it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

I agree.

But what do you mean not a music movie?. Every kind of movie in terms of genre can have a soundtrack song made for the movie. What is strange?. Twilight, Hunger Games or 50 Shades got an entire album of original songs made for the movies. 

There's nothing wrong with it having an original soundtrack song, the focus on it with Crawdads IMO seems a bit excessive for the kind of movie it is. The trailers were fine, but I feel like I saw a million "Here's Reese Witherspoon saying how much she likes the book! Taylor Swift!" ads. Just an odd way to promote a 1960s coming of age/romance/crime drama, like they felt the cast itself had no star power.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

IDK... wasn't Gone Girl also "chick lit"? Actually I'm not sure.

When Fincher was announced as the director, IIRC some fans of his were surprised since Gone Girl was such a summer beach read sort of book. The subject matter was fairly cynical and the way he approached it got the critics on its side, though it did miss a lot of expected Oscar nominations for such an acclaimed hit.

30 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

There's nothing wrong with it having an original soundtrack song, the focus on it with Crawdads IMO seems a bit excessive for the kind of movie it is. The trailers were fine, but I feel like I saw a million "Here's Reese Witherspoon saying how much she likes the book! Taylor Swift!" ads. Just an odd way to promote a 1960s coming of age/romance/crime drama, like they felt the cast itself had no star power.

Well they weren't wrong. The cast has not star power. For Daisy Edgar Jones is basically the first role on the big screen. 

So I'm not surprised they used stars of other types to promote the movie. 

If i think to other best seller sentations like da vinci's code, gone girl, the girl on the train they all have big stars.

Maybe the most similar thing to a cast like this was The Help but Emma Stone already made a box office hit like Easy A. 

Their strategy was to make a movie with the good production people were expecting but with a low budget because of a no stars cast. It was a risk and it worked. With some biggest  stars as the main protagonists (female and males)  probably it would have open with like a 20-25% more but with 45-50% more budget (35-40M), so a less unknow cast and some kind of external promotion was a good idea at the end of the day.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, harrisonisdead said:

The Greatest Showman has a 56% on Rotten Tomatoes, meaning more than half of critics appreciated it for its sentimentality. Pretty Woman has a fresh 65%, Ghost has a certified fresh 75%, The Notebook has a slightly-more-than-half 53%.

So 50-60% is what great reception looks like to you? And those ratings don't reflect how those movies were received when they were released, they had even worse reception. I don't care about Crawdads at all, but val is right, many critics do have sentimentality bias, freaking The Green Mile had worse critics reception than the most generic Marvel movies or garbage like The Old Guard, and this is an all-timer. Hachi, another beloved tearjerker, is barely fresh on RT. There are tons of examples like that.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Eric Odinson said:

https://deadline.com/2022/07/box-office-thor-love-and-thunder-paws-of-fury-where-the-crawdads-sing-2-1235064783/

Netflix/AGBO’s Ryan Gosling/Chris Evans/Ana de Armas spy film Gray Man which is getting a promotional one-week theatrical play near 400 locations is coming up significantly short in ticket sales next to Red Notice. That Dwayne Johnson-Gal Gadot-Ryan Reynolds action heist film chalked up between $1.25M-$1.5M in its opening weekend at 750 locations. This was during a fall when the box office was beginning to get back on its feet and more auditoriums were available because we didn’t have as many blockbusters around then as we do now. Gray Man is estimated to be doing just under $200K according to distribution sources. Again, the streamer doesn’t care, nor do they report figures. It’s all about maintaining subscribers and possibly adding new ones after this $200M+ investment hits the service on Friday. Even though this movie is at 52% on Rotten Tomatoes, ya gotta think if it was a wide theatrical release, it would be raining an additional $10M-$20M in box office cash on exhibition. They’d gladly take it.

That's also much lower than Army Of The Dead, which reportedly had a 780k opening weekend playing in 450 theaters :ph34r: