Issac Newton

Weekend - 08/05-08/07 | Actuals: Bullet Train 30, Super Pets 11, Nope 8.5, Thor 7.7, Minions 7.1 | TGM sinks Titanic! 7th-biggest film DOM | Bodies Bodies Bodies earns 37.8K PTA

18 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Only digital,  if disc was coming out anytime soon it would be on pirate sites by now

You’re right. August 22nd is the digital date. I can’t see a disc release anywhere. Disc movies usually leak 2 weeks before the actual release dates.

Edited by AJG

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

The rule of thumb is 2.5 to 3x gross compared to the budget to profit completely through theatrical only. 2x to profit after theatrical plus secondary market.

All of that obviously does not take participation and stuff into account but it's a pretty good guide.

That rule of thumb doesn't really work when the marketing budget dwarves the production budget.  For example, Peele's US cost $20m production, then $75m marketing. Grossing $50-60m would have made that a bomb.

48 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

That rule of thumb doesn't really work when the marketing budget dwarves the production budget.  For example, Peele's US cost $20m production, then $75m marketing. Grossing $50-60m would have made that a bomb.

I think Deadline can be a bit over the top with those marketing budget estimates. That’s why we can’t really count them in. 

Films also don’t have to make back their budget and marketing budgets from theatrical only, to be considered a hit. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I think Deadline can be a bit over the top with those marketing budget estimates. That’s why we can’t really count them in. 

Films also don’t have to make back their budget and marketing budgets from theatrical only, to be considered a hit. 

They can, but considering Nope had a Super bowl trailer (which alone would be 5.5M marketing dollars) and Universal pretty much went all out towards the release, it can be a big marketing budget equivalent to the production budget for sure 

30 isn't bad for BT considering it's R Rated Action.   I do not understand why "Super Pets" isn't doing much better.  To me that was an easy 120-150 Domestic Grosser but I guess Families are pretty full this Summer with "Minions" i killin it too much.    If "Minions" is the best case and "Super Pets" is a low case.   Then I guess "Lightyear" and "Bad Guys" are more the norm with "Minions" being the outlier for families.  Also I guess "Jurassic" did end up being a Family film for the Summer that's not animated.   

Good for "Minions" crossing 900 Million.   Thor should hit 700 but will gross less than the last one.   "Jurassic" is at 960, does it have 40 left in the tank to get that Billion?   "Top Gun" has not left the Top 10 since it came out over 2 1/2 months ago.   Instant Classic Run.   700 seems to be the big number.   It's less than 40 Million away but it's going to have to keep crawling there.  Top 7 Domestic All Time is must mind blowing.   Was hoping for "Nope" to cross 100 but it will do that on Monday.   I guess Summer is winding down.    Also I watched "Prey" today and it was fantastic.  Best Predator Film since the Original.   

Edited by filmscholar

16 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise only actors with 100m grossers in all of the 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, 2020s

i guess he doesn't count because it's all supporting roles and he's more of a character actor but willem dafoe has done this too.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

30 isn't bad for BT considering it's R Rated Action.   I do not understand why "Super Pets" isn't doing much better.  To me that was an easy 120-150 Domestic Grosser but I guess Families are pretty full this Summer with "Minions" i killin it too much.    If "Minions" is the best case and "Super Pets" is a low case.   Then I guess "Lightyear" and "Bad Guys" are more the norm with "Minions" being the outlier for families.  Also I guess "Jurassic" did end up being a Family film for the Summer that's not animated.   

Good for "Minions" crossing 900 Million.   Thor should hit 700 but will gross less than the last one.   "Jurassic" is at 960, does it have 40 left in the tank to get that Billion?   "Top Gun" has not left the Top 10 since it came out over 2 1/2 months ago.   Instant Classic Run.   700 seems to be the big number.   It's less than 40 Million away but it's going to have to keep crawling there.  Top 7 Domestic All Time is must mind blowing.   Was hoping for "Nope" to cross 100 but it will do that on Monday.   I guess Summer is winding down.    Also I watched "Prey" today and it was fantastic.  Best Predator Film since the Original.   

Minions is at 757M, i think BOM made a mistake 

It's probably gonna get there tho eventually, there are markets left iirc

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Minions is at 757M, i think BOM made a mistake 

It's probably gonna get there tho eventually, there are markets left iirc

I figured something may have been wrong because that was a big jump.  They did the same with Thor saying it was 700 WW when it was 500 but it eventually got there, lol.  Guess it was a typo.   Anyways it's still the Biggest Animated Film of the Year.  

• Like 1