Eric the Ape

Weekend Thread (8/12-14) | Estimates: Train 13.4, Pets 7.17, TGM 7.15, Thor 5.31, Nope 5.3 | Bodies 3.25, Fall 2.5, Laal Singh 1.8, Mack 1.09, E.T. 1.07

Bodies Bodies Bodies' Demography 

The guy skewing R-rated movie at 52% men, and 78% between 18-34 played best in the cities, i.e. LA, NY, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas, Austin, DC, Boston and Seattle and fared quite well in the Alamo Drafthouses which notched seven of the pic’s top ten runs. Diversity demos were 48% Caucasian, 23% Latino and Hispanic, 13% Black, and 16% Asian/other.

Fall's Demography

Those who showed up for Fall were 53% guys 56% between 18-34

I went to see Crawdads this afternoon. Very pleasant little movie. Anyways, I saw the trailer for that Clooney/Roberts/Kaitlyn Dever comedy that’s coming out?

Good god George and Julia look like they’ve taken a covid paycheck for that.  Maybe they thought the movies really were dead when they signed up for it? Who knows, the movie might be good but it’s an awful trailer. Mortifying for them actually. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

I went to see Crawdads this afternoon. Very pleasant little movie. Anyways, I saw the trailer for that Clooney/Roberts/Kaitlyn Dever comedy that’s coming out?

Good god George and Julia look like they’ve taken a covid paycheck for that.  Maybe they thought the movies really were dead when they signed up for it? Who knows, the movie might be good but it’s an awful trailer. Mortifying for them actually. 

Exotic holiday and a fat check... They're taking a play out of the Adam Sandler book. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

but it's great to see a big rom com with big stars on the big screen . The genre seems more than ever just made for netflix. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ticket to Paradise looks fun IMO. The perfect "Sunday afternoon at the movies with mom" flick. It's nice to see that studios are trying to bring the romcom back to the multiplex after relegating the genre to streaming for a while.

On the flip side if it flops with those leads, studios will most likely take it as "it's dead, pack it exclusively low budget, for streaming" 

16 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

On the flip side if it flops with those leads, studios will most likely take it as "it's dead, pack it exclusively low budget, for streaming" 

Was discussing this on discord the other day. It's a bit surprising no studio has tried to become a Blumhouse for romcoms.

Sign up and coming actors to 3-4 movies with escalating paychecks and a few bigger names with profit participation like Ethan Hawke does for his cheap horror movies.

Each romcom budgeted under 10M with the logic being that if the movies are successful the actors will be built up for future movies while making the studio a brand unto itself.

The occasional big budget romcom with bigger names when you can afford to take a risk as well. Blumhouse has shown this works for horror, someone just needs to translate it towards romcoms. Feels like there's a chance a good romcom can still make 40-50M theatrical.

• Like 3

Speaking of WOM/being on the fence … finally got to see Elvis this weekend (after two failed attempts) 

With the added caveat that I’m not really a huge Baz or Elvis fan (but do generally like musical movies): it’s probably the best film I’ve seen this year (yes, ahead of TGM, though still haven’t caught EEAAO). Worth trying to catch in theaters 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Was discussing this on discord the other day. It's a bit surprising no studio has tried to become a Blumhouse for romcoms.

Sign up and coming actors to 3-4 movies with escalating paychecks and a few bigger names with profit participation like Ethan Hawke does for his cheap horror movies.

Each romcom budgeted under 10M with the logic being that if the movies are successful the actors will be built up for future movies while making the studio a brand unto itself.

The occasional big budget romcom with bigger names when you can afford to take a risk as well. Blumhouse has shown this works for horror, someone just needs to translate it towards romcoms. Feels like there's a chance a good romcom can still make 40-50M theatrical.

I think even with a very small budget, it might be seen as very low return theatrically. Horror is reliably a draw for cinemas, as it works for a date movie with younger crowds. Rom-coms are seen as chick flicks and less of a draw for that crowd. 

It would most likely be female-heavy, but 35+ that would pay for a theatrical rom-com. And they would probably be drawn by bigger names, thereby making the lower budget more difficult. Thereby...it's still probably a streaming genre as of now... 

i think it looks fine. it doesn't look any worse than a bunch of the romcom hits that came out at the peak of that genre. people always saying the romcom should make a comeback but they were the marvel movies of their day in that twenty years ago people on internet forums were decrying them as the death of cinema.

• Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think it looks fine. it doesn't look any worse than a bunch of the romcom hits that came out at the peak of that genre. people always saying the romcom should make a comeback but they were the marvel movies of their day in that twenty years ago people on internet forums were decrying them as the death of cinema.

I’ll still see the thing. Maybe it was just the shock of them being in something like this and I was harsh - I don’t know. 
I want studio original comedies to start making big money again. 

24 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Same with Michael Bay being seen as the death of cinema and now people were talking about seeing Ambulance in theaters to support movies by real filmmakers.

40 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

One of the biggest benefits of the romcom was that it created genuine female stars. And a lot of those stars used their pull to get a lot of other female oriented projects made. Stars with an appeal to an audience just as underserved now as they were then.

Now, every female actor needs a MCU vehicle and even then they are only seen in those movies. This tweet went viral this week

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

One of the biggest benefits of the romcom was that it created genuine female stars. And a lot of those stars used their pull to get a lot of other female oriented projects made. Stars with an appeal to an audience just as underserved now as they were then.

Now, every female actor needs a MCU vehicle and even then they are only seen in those movies. 

It's because the star system died and romcom was the poster for star system - the star's name was everything. Now it's franchise world where name doesn't matter because the brand draws the audience. Moreover, due to oversaturation with franchise movies, most specifically MCU as the biggest producer of them and now shows, being in a franchise is no more a launching pad for career cause everyone and their mother is in any of 1000 franchises. It doesn't give a competitive edge anymore. It's an assembly line where roles are practically the same one over and over. It's hard to show what new you bring to the table when 100 other people give the same performance every year. That's why something like Elvis puts an actor on the map.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

It's because the star system died and romcom was the poster for star system - the star's name was everything. Now it's franchise world where name doesn't matter because the brand draws the audience. Moreover, due to oversaturation with franchise movies, most specifically MCU as the biggest producer of them and now shows, being in a franchise is no more a launching pad for career cause everyone and their mother is in any of 1000 franchises. It doesn't give a competitive edge anymore. It's an assembly line where roles are practically same one over and over. It's hard to show what new you bring to the table when 100 other people give the same performance every year. That's why something like Elvis puts an actor on the map.

Also, people are now fans of studios. The Twitter feed of the Lonely Abandoned Beagle is a wild ride

Same guy sent this reviewer a manifesto on why reviewing Lightyear is a necessity to ensure more LGBTQ+ characters are seen in movies

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1