Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 16-18/09/22 | The Woman King $19M, Pearl $3.12M, See $3.10M

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Probably not unless being the most high-profile horror movie around Halloween (aside from Prey for the Devil but I doubt that's going to make much of a mark) helps it out.

Prey for the Devil is from Lionsgate. I doubt it even gets released at all.

2 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Would you say so?

Brooklyn - Success

Ladybird - Success

Mary Queen of Scots - Modest

Little Women - Big Success

All her other films seem deliberately low scale and, in the case of Ammonite, is excellent low scale. She's only fleetingly in French Dispatch. 

I mean given she isn't really presented as an A-lister so much as a prestige actress it wouldn't occur to me her career is in any way struggling.

How dare you forget the amazing Hannah! 🙃

Seriously though, you’re right. 
Her career so far has been mostly just wins and she has nothing to worry about. 

6 hours ago, Legion By Night said:

605-D9-EC5-0-D9-A-409-B-8-A8-F-7942-B1-A

C30-A4436-FBE4-4-EA8-A8-D5-C2-F4-DD501-C

D2-BE2445-9-A38-466-E-8676-303046054-D32

D77-A0-A6-B-93-D6-4881-919-F-630790630-B

All did it off >5x — though only one this century, and barely at that. I believe that’s comprehensive— the only other films to open above 10M in Sep and leg >5x look to be Last of the Mohicans (75M), Sneakers (51M), and Sea of Love (58M).

Edit: Missed one. Did it off just 3.5x so of course not good enough to TWK

8-DCDEC43-8263-47-BE-8378-7-BD3-EA395-D0

Drew Barrymore Oops GIF by NETFLIX

My bad for only checking back 20 years 

Main point about the limit to legs this time of year still stand

• Like 1

I hope Halloween Ends makes more than $75m. I thought the “Ends/Finale” aspect would boost it above Kills but then they decided to put it online for free at the same time, so we’ll see. 

I just hope I like it more than Kills. 

Also, why did Double Jeopardy cost $70m lol

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

fwiw Barbarian is having pretty stellar holds at literally every theatre I'm tracking. Wouldn't be shocked at all with a sub-50 drop.

Lack of initial advertising and surely many passed thinking it was another in string of forgettable horror releases, but seems like WOM is getting around, that it’s actually pretty good

Also market a bit starved for usual September horror fix (keep that in mind while Smile comes out)

32 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

This is bad. I was hoping it would surprise and build on X based on people seeing X on streaming. Mia Goth should be front-runner for Best Actress. What a performance! Her monologue and the final shot of the movie will not be topped by whoever wins BA, I can guarantee it. 

Edited by Flopped

7 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

maybe they are from African Americans who don't want to celebrate people that sold their ancestors, would Jews be made to celebrate Nazi heroes.... Hell NO

I think my heavy African American audience didn't think of it that way as they were applauding at a lot of stuff throughout the movie, including the credits and the Wakanda Forever trailer.

Review-bombing WK is the dumbest thing ever cause the movie does everything right re:diversity - it doesn't appropriate European history but depicts African history, doesn't race and/or gender bend historical figures cause they are African historical figures, doesn't have token non-African Agojie, as for Dahomay slavery it doesn't gloss over it either (never trust trailers!), has an actual African actress in a co-lead role (Thuso Mbedu). Point being, if you don't like race-bending, historical appropriation, tokenism, than you have to be consistent and support movies that don't do it. But...you know. 

• Like 1