Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 16-18/09/22 | The Woman King $19M, Pearl $3.12M, See $3.10M

18 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

It's crazy that this became the center of an online culture war when like two weeks ago nobody besides industry followers knew it existed.

It's a pretty fucking stupid culture war, too. From what I've heard, the movie is very anti-slavery (Viola Davis's character was formerly enslaved herself, I believe), and the movie addresses slavery all throughout.

I wish people had watched the damn movie beforehand before complaining. Yes, there are historical inaccuracies in The Woman King, but what Hollywood historical epic (Gladiator, Braveheart, Lincoln, etc.) doesn't have them? This movie is no different - it's a piece of entertainment, not a documentary. 

I, for one, am looking forward to watching this film with the full knowledge that this is "historical fiction" and hopefully will have a good time watching it.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

Theaters in Portugal struggling to meet the demand for Ticket to Paradise. They were not prepared. 400 seats screens sold out with lot of time left until the shows start. It is insane. I saw it in a special preview on Tuesday. WOM is gonna be throught the roof. My girlfriend loved it. People were non-stopping laughing.

Just watched it and my showing was surprisingly packed too. My 139 seats auditorium had 60 tickets sold, which is almost half of the seats sold.

There were a handful of loud laughs and when the movie ended I heard a lot of positive comments (some people even had tears on their faces)

My mom also really loved it.

Would be shocked if the Cinemascore is not an A.

I had this at ~45M Dom but now I think 80s are likely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Ticket to Paradise looks like a throwback to the 1990s-2000s, the critics were not really here for studio romcoms back then. Many big, beloved 2000s hits of that type (The Proposal, 50 First Dates, Miss Congeniality, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Maid in Manhattan) are no where close to being fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. The Wedding Planner is 17 percent on RT and TBS is scheduled to show it four times in the next 10 days!

If it was too much of a "chick flick" or not "subverting the genre" somehow or wasn't an Oscar hopeful, critics just didn't care for the conventional romcom. Now, today's critics are probably so grateful to see a new Julia Roberts comedy instead of another cinematic universe entry, that their reviews are probably a bit generous.

Anyway, 73 percent fresh for a mainstream romcom is pretty good, unless it has some unconventional twist, a score in that range should have good WOM.

A lot of these movies deserved bad reviews. How To Love a Guy, Maid in Manhattan, Wedding Planner are trash. 

Julia Roberts and Meg Ryan, and to a lesser extent Sandra Bullock, were the only ones to deliver quality. 

I think people take for granted how massive Julia's movies were outside the US. Most of these comedies, even the iconic ones, bombed outside the US. Then you look at Pretty Woman or Notting Hill and your jaw drops. 

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

The Martian counts as a comedy as much as any MCU movie. And Get Out? Really? It is a straight up horror thriller with some humor, but not exactly a comedy...

It's a joke cause both were nominated for best comedy at the Golden Globes.

Ricky Gervais hosted the ceremony where Martian was nominated and he had a running gag of how bizarre was considering Martian a comedy.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Would Ticket to Paradise total > Halloween Ends total surprise anyone? 

Will Ends even make $75m at this rate? Feels like Kills killed (heh) all the momentum.

Edited by cookie

41 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

100M incoming

List of September releases to gross $100M, starting with an OW below $30M 

… that’s none! Only 5 non-horror, non-animated movies have broken the $100M threshold from a September start at all, and the only one to clear $105M is Sully 

The lower weekday numbers this time of year makes it difficult for even the best received moves to reach a 4x OW, much less a >4.5x (if not even 5x+)