Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 16-18/09/22 | The Woman King $19M, Pearl $3.12M, See $3.10M

I was hoping so badly for 20M+ OW. Oh well. The 17-19M range is still solid tho. Hopefully legs are strong.

Meanwhile I saw 3 movies in the past 2 days in theaters.

Beast was a fun fast paced thriller that uses really well long takes. The editing is top notch, and the CGI lion is mindblowing. The final confrontation was a bit underwhelming and I think this is why legs aren't better.

The Invitation was absolutely legendary. The so bad it is good legendary level. My God. What the fuck. I was laughing all the time. More of this please. Inject it into my veins.

And finally, Minamata, an old school drama about a shocking true story with a great leading performance from Johnny Depp. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

lol these are probably the same idiots mad about a black mermaid and taking their frustration out on "the black woman movie" as revenge

And I'm betting 99% of them have never heard of this Dahomay group or any of the awful shit they did more than 3 weeks ago, thats just a convenient cover for their ulterior motives

31 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Disney doing a Black Panther: Dora Milaje limited series on D+ after seeing how well Woman King is doing for sure.:bourne:

18~ mil OW doesn't exactly scream profitable to me, BP having a >150 OW and legging it out past $500mil would probably be good for that though

17 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

18~ mil OW doesn't exactly scream profitable to me, BP having a >150 OW and legging it out past $500mil would probably be good for that though

Obviously we won’t be looking only at the american opening weekend 3 day to determine profitability. Especially not with an A+ Cinemascore and rave reviews from critics ;) 

On the other hand, I don’t know if I’d be jumping for joy excited about Black Panther 2 dropping $200m from its predecessor. 

Edited by Krissykins

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Obviously we won’t be looking only at the american opening weekend 3 day to determine profitability. Especially not with an A+ Cinemascore and rave reviews from critics ;) 

On the other hand, I don’t know if I’d be jumping for joy excited about Black Panther 2 dropping $200m from its predecessor. 

From a purely profit driven pov? BP 2 making even just 1 billion WW is going to be MUCH more profitable than TWK hitting 200mil. Sure studios care about trends in gross to an extent but 1-2 data points isn't a trend and BP making a crap ton of money means the TV show would be profitable regardless. And it is likely profitable since even deducting the cost of the show from BP 1 since it's already been given the go-ahead it could have the bare minimum of viewers and execs would be annoyed rather than worried about being roasted by the company since it's a slight dud out of the entire history of the MCU and coming off an extremely successful movie.

29 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

From a purely profit driven pov? BP 2 making even just 1 billion WW is going to be MUCH more profitable than TWK hitting 200mil. Sure studios care about trends in gross to an extent but 1-2 data points isn't a trend and BP making a crap ton of money means the TV show would be profitable regardless. And it is likely profitable since even deducting the cost of the show from BP 1 since it's already been given the go-ahead it could have the bare minimum of viewers and execs would be annoyed rather than worried about being roasted by the company since it's a slight dud out of the entire history of the MCU and coming off an extremely successful movie.

hall of fame game missed the point GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

At 6PM, The Woman King Harkins

SAT - 7157/67290 (228 showings) $73,077

Around +20% same time y'day. Expecting 8.4-8.6K final for $6M ish.

Edit: At 7:20 PM
SAT - 7,838/67,290 (228 showings) $81,083

4.15 // 17, 15.3 true OW

weekdays 38%, 5.8 // 22.8 cume, 21.1 true OWeek

2.9x -> 21.1*2.9+1.7, 63M

55-72

• Like 1

But seriously. The Invitation. How are people not talking about this. Three of the most powerful families in the World need to find a 3rd bride for Dracula in everything but name in order to survive and continue to rule forever and their best resource is to use a Find Your Family website to get a match for lost relatives. I was in the floor laughing.

They clearly wanted this to be a horror movie with social commentary about race. But instead of smart dialogue you get actors giving Oscar performances with the most cringe worthy lines of all time.

Also, the attempts at scary scenes are peak darkness. You can't see shit. Because if there was light you would see the vampires are regular humans. There is no transformation or anything. So instead you get DARKNESS and LOUD NOISES.

And the final setpiece. What the fuck. Everything is rushed to death. And the friend just believes the vampire story out of thin air in the epilogue. And Nathalie changes his looks completely why? Because she is a cool vampire now? THIS MOVIE I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS.

My description for this would be GET OUT WITH VAMPIRES. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

14 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Why are the right wing using this narrative? When have they ever been precious about black stories before? Lol.

They honesty cannot see shit going past them. One farts and the rest latch onto it. 

Probably not. But another sequel is on the way regardless.

A24 must be making money on these films somewhere. 

14 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

X did indeed have a $1m budget. It hasn't been reported what Pearl cost but not much more, probably.

Pearl cost only a million too, both seem to be in the clear

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

But seriously. The Invitation. How are people not talking about this.

I mean, my answer would be that there's nothing much to it beyond that it is just a excuse fo Gothic opulence, at which it does pretty well. It hits all the comfortable Gothic buttons, nothing more, northing less. 

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

They clearly wanted this to be a horror movie with social commentary about race.

Not sure they did. Certainly not how it came off. Race wasn't mentioned in the least from what I recall, certainly not in any thematic context.

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

Because if there was light you would see the vampires are regular humans.

Vampires ARE regular humans. I mean dead ones, but vampires don't have to be monstrosities, they are often just people with fangs. Just seemed standard Hammer Horror fare, but with 90s-style amounts of darkness.

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

My description for this would be GET OUT WITH VAMPIRES. 

Again, I think you're massively overestimating the race/sociopolitical element of things. There's nothing really there in this movie. The contrivances of the start and the briskness of the ending are so that the middle could be packed with as much Gothic stuff as possible.

It's a modern Hammer Horror film with an infusion of American TV drama style. Just a bit of enjoyable camp Gothic fluff.

OT: I finally watched Morbius last night.  I can't believe that 2 of the worst superhero movies of the last decade were both released this year.  It's awful, but it's also maddening, b/c it too had a decent movie (not great, but decent) to be made, and it just totally bailed on that in the last hour.  The 1st 30 minutes were a B-.  The last hour was a very low F.  That gets me to another D- supers movie.

It almost seemed like they gave the final 1/2 of the movie to a 4th grader to write the script for, and they filmed it EXACTLY that way.  So, when he forgets that there's TWO doses of the poison b/c he's gonna solve his "problem" and then that just gets forgotten, well, that's what a 4th grader would do.  When 2 characters literally die blocks apart in back to back scenes, well 4th graders don't write long stuff so they just hit the highlights - no need for connective tissue.  And character motivations being consistent and making sense, and things just not getting dropped - who cares!  Editting - what's that? 

But wow, now I can see why people want no more supers - if this year's product, sans Batman but including Super Pets, is what we get, sign me out...