Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 16-18/09/22 | The Woman King $19M, Pearl $3.12M, See $3.10M

Theaters in Portugal struggling to meet the demand for Ticket to Paradise. They were not prepared. 400 seats screens sold out with lot of time left until the shows start. It is insane. I saw it in a special preview on Tuesday. WOM is gonna be throught the roof. My girlfriend loved it. People were non-stopping laughing.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 6

52 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Theaters in Portugal struggling to meet the demand for Ticket to Paradise. They were not prepared. 400 seats screens sold out with lot of time left until the shows start. It is insane. I saw it in a special preview on Tuesday. WOM is gonna be throught the roof. My girlfriend loved it. People were non-stopping laughing.

People are STARVED for movies!!!

Just now, DAJK said:

Ticket to Paradise about to become the highest grossing comedy since... Pitch Perfect 2? 22 Jump Street? Am I forgetting any from the last 10 years?

People say Crazy Rich Asians isn’t a comedy for some reason, but I think that one totally counts

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Ticket to Paradise about to become the highest grossing comedy since... Pitch Perfect 2? 22 Jump Street? Am I forgetting any from the last 10 years?

Bad Moms is the last straight comedy to cross 100M dom that I can remember

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Now that I remember, The Martian and Get Out were 2 of the last succesful comedies.

43 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Now that I remember, The Martian and Get Out were 2 of the last succesful comedies.

The Martian counts as a comedy as much as any MCU movie. And Get Out? Really? It is a straight up horror thriller with some humor, but not exactly a comedy...

Edited by CJohn

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Do you know why they opened so in advance of the US?

On RT it has a 73 from 30 reviews. Decent but nothing that indicates the confidence to open early and screen embargo-free for critics.  Odd. 

59 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Do you know why they opened so in advance of the US?

On RT it has a 73 from 30 reviews. Decent but nothing that indicates the confidence to open early and screen embargo-free for critics.  Odd. 

Ticket to Paradise looks like a throwback to the 1990s-2000s, the critics were not really here for studio romcoms back then. Many big, beloved 2000s hits of that type (The Proposal, 50 First Dates, Miss Congeniality, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Maid in Manhattan) are no where close to being fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. The Wedding Planner is 17 percent on RT and TBS is scheduled to show it four times in the next 10 days!

If it was too much of a "chick flick" or not "subverting the genre" somehow or wasn't an Oscar hopeful, critics just didn't care for the conventional romcom. Now, today's critics are probably so grateful to see a new Julia Roberts comedy instead of another cinematic universe entry, that their reviews are probably a bit generous.

Anyway, 73 percent fresh for a mainstream romcom is pretty good, unless it has some unconventional twist, a score in that range should have good WOM.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Anyone see The Woman King?

Did they depict African Kingdoms at war to avoid become slaves themselves. Basically if you weren't helping European slave traders and gaining power that way you were at risk of becoming POW's who were sold into slavery.

But the conversation is basically just "look at the inaccuracy, blacks were really the biggest slave traders".

Very little is being being discussed about the silver or led dynamic.