Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 16-18/09/22 | The Woman King $19M, Pearl $3.12M, See $3.10M

38 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Why are the right wing using this narrative? When have they ever been precious about black stories before? Lol.

They honesty cannot see shit going past them. One farts and the rest latch onto it. 

Probably not. But another sequel is on the way regardless.

A24 must be making money on these films somewhere. 

Seems stranage indeed. Pearl and X were filmed together which explains the existence of Pearl somewhat, is there any chance that's the case, at least partially, with the other as well, because it's beyond me how it gets made otherwise. X was polarising - albeit with many people really enjoying it - but no way round that it did actively badly even by A24 horror standards.

It's entirely possible for there to be multiple groups upset about The Woman King for different reasons? IMO it's a mix of:

a) African-Americans who have issues with the movie's historical accuracy. There's probably some overlap with the people who wanted to boycott Harriet a few years back, which didn’t stop other, less "online" Black people (and others) from still seeing it.

b) The types who often get bothered by movies starring Black people, but this time they've latched onto the "historical inaccuracies" as the reason they're so bothered by TWK in particular, because they're not racist, you know.

And probably bots are inflaming the situation on Twitter. Depending where you are on the internet, you may be seeing complaints from Group A or Group B. Given the general bent of r/movies, for example, you can guess which side is leading the negativity there.

People bring up Gladiator and Braveheart but they didn’t have to face social media discourse as new movies. Who knows what the outrage would have been? Even so, Twitter/Reddit/etc hate doesn't doom a project to failure.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Disney's getting the Avatar rerelease into 4k theaters so I'm not surprised.

Might want to revise that number down a little...

On 9/15/2022 at 3:34 PM, interiorgatordecorator said:

im confused

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

35 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Surprised that Barbarian didn't get an expansion this week after last week's great PTA

Horror grosses tend to be much more concentrated in the upper half of the distribution, as they just don't draw well in a lot of markets, which is why the theater counts are usually lower to begin with. A $10M horror flick in second week had a low ceiling of potential for those 2400-3000 level theaters, and a potential expansion probably hurt by Pearl getting 3000 locations, See How They Run another 2400, plus a handful of other lower tier openings. Had it just been Woman King, there may have been room to add

Plus Disney probably doesn't care all that much, just going through the motions

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

This is becoming a funnier bit than that BT Jolie guy

I don’t understand why people choose this particular forum to troll, where users generally know their shit? Trying to claim WK is going to make only $13M after a $6M+ Fri is so laughable that it’s impossible to get angry about, which is the underlying intent 

Like, go back to r/boxoffice or Twitter where some people might actually believe these ridiculous assertions

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Disney's getting the Avatar rerelease into 4k theaters so I'm not surprised.

Disney is only doing the Avatar rerelease to feed Cameron's ego. I doubt Disney expects to make much from it. NWH rerelease numbers $10m at MOST.

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Seems stranage indeed. Pearl and X were filmed together which explains the existence of Pearl somewhat, is there any chance that's the case, at least partially, with the other as well, because it's beyond me how it gets made otherwise. X was polarising - albeit with many people really enjoying it - but no way round that it did actively badly even by A24 horror standards.

Maxxxine hasn’t started filming yet, so they definitely announced that one knowing how X performed. 

40 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

This is becoming a funnier bit than that BT Jolie guy

he’ll be raging when Bullet Train passes $100m soon. But thankfully we won’t have to hear about it lol

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

I don’t understand why people choose this particular forum to troll, where users generally know their shit? Trying to claim WK is going to make only $13M after a $6M+ Fri is so laughable that it’s impossible to get angry about, which is the underlying intent 

Like, go back to r/boxoffice or Twitter where some people might actually believe these ridiculous assertions

That’s exactly what adds to the surrealist humor 🤣

• Like 1