Grebacio

Weekend Thread | Actuals: Smile 22.6, DWD 6.85, TWK 6.8, Avatar 5, Bros 4.8

Is Bros getting to get beaten by the Indian Tamil film that's only on in 500 screens and has had basically no marketing?

Lordy that would be humiliating.

But the niche culture that is represented is just so narrow, horrendously New York and celeb/scene-culture-centric. If you are going to aim for (as you should) the mainstreamification of the LGBT romcom then you can't indulge exclusively one version of New York scene progressivism and specifically highlight the newly minted ahistorical interpretation versions of the Stonewall riots that alienate those who were actually there. 

Well, you can. But it's going to shrink your audience. That audience might love it, but it's the Scott Pilgrim V the World dynamic but with a much smaller audience base.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Yep, massive jumps on Saturday:

WK + 79% for 7M (-36%)

TGM + 72% for 1.2M (-24%)

Bullet Train +70% and then some crazy Sunday jump of 122% for 2.4M (+32%)

https://www.the-numbers.com/

The last one is a mistake. Bullet Train's weekend is 1.4, but Numbers accidentally put that number into the Sunday results. Pretty funny tho

34 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Is Bros getting to get beaten by the Indian Telugu film that's only on in 500 screens and has had basically no marketing?

Tamil film. Based on a bestseller from almost 70 years ago which has been hugely marketed to the Indian community. 

It's like LOTR for Tamilians.

• Thanks 1

@WrathOfHan @Blankments Sorry for not getting my trailer stuff up earlier, but here you go.

11x:

Black Adam: Uncharted, The Batman, The Phantom of the Open, Elvis, Thor: Love and Thunder, Breaking, Jaws, The Woman King, Don't Worry Darling, Avatar, Pearl

9x:

Don't Worry Darling: Elvis, The Black Phone, Nope, Where the Crawdads Sing, Bullet Train, Bodies Bodies Bodies, Emily the Criminal, Three Thousand Years of Longing, Barbarian

7x:

The Woman King: Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, Where the Crawdads Sing, Bullet Train, Emily the Criminal, Breaking, Three Thousand Years of Longing, Barbarian

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: Bodies Bodies Bodies, Breaking, Jaws, Barbarian, Avatar, See How They Run, Pearl

6x:

Ticket to Paradise: Mr. Malcolm's List, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Breaking, Minions: The Rise of Gru, Jaws

Strange World: Lightyear, Thor: Love and Thunder, Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Minions: The Rise of Gru, DC League of Super Pets

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish: The Bad Guys, Lightyear, Marcel the Shell, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Minions: The Rise of Gru, DC League of Super Pets

5x:

The Invitation: The Black Phone, Vengeance, Where the Crawdads Sing, Bullet Train, Bodies Bodies Bodies

Lyle Lyle Crocodile: Marcel the Shell, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Minions: The Rise of Gru, DC League of Super Pets, Avatar

Till: Nope, Bullet Train, Breaking, Three Thousand Years of Longing, The Woman King

4x:

Moonage Daydream: Top Gun: Maverick, Crimes of the Future, The Black Phone, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Jaws

Amsterdam: Vengeance, Emily the Criminal, Barbarian, Avatar

Shazam! Fury of the Gods: Minions: The Rise of Gru, DC League of Super Pets, Don't Worry Darling, See How They Run

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: Dog, Uncharted, The Guide, RRR

3x:

Bodies Bodies Bodies: Men, The Black Phone, Nope

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: Thor: Love and Thunder, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, Vengeance

Pearl: Bodies Bodies Bodies, Three Thousand Years of Longing, Barbarian

Bros: Elvis, Bodies Bodies Bodies, Emily the Criminal

Tar: Vengeance, The Woman King, Don't Worry Darling

Triangle of Sadness: Don't Worry Darling, See How They Run, Pearl

Halloween Ends: Nope, Barbarian, Pearl

She Said: Where the Crawdads Sing, The Woman King, See How They Run

Oppenheimer: Nope, Jaws, Avatar

2x:

Mack and Rita: Elvis, Where the Crawdads Sing

Beast: The Black Phone, Nope

Smile: Top Gun: Maverick, Don't Worry Darling

Prey for the Devil: The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Pearl

Devotion: Phantom of the Open, The Woman King

Avatar: The Way of Water: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Thor: Love and Thunder

I Wanna Dance with Somebody: The Woman King, Don't Worry Darling

Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom: Uncharted, The Batman

The Flash: Uncharted, The Batman

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Lightyear, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris

1x:

Barbarian: Nope

Medieval: Bullet Train

See How They Run: Mr. Malcolm's List

The Silent Twins: Vengeance

The Good House: Emily the Criminal

Call Jane: Emily the Criminal

The Inspection: Pearl

The Menu: Men

Emprie of Light: See How They Run

Knock at the Cabin: Don't Worry Darling

John Wick: Chapter 4: Bullet Train

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1: Top Gun: Maverick

Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre: The King's Man

The Unbreakable Boy: King Richard

White Bird: A Wonder Story: Thor: Love and Thunder

I have gotten Black Adam and Wakanda Forever at 5 out of the 8 movies I've seen this month. And I'm sure I'll get them many more times this month. I don't think I can handle this anymore.

• Like 1

Bros with a smaller opening than Easter Sunday is just sad.

Don't Worry Darling's drop is bad but could've been worse after how frontloaded it was last weekend tbh. Strong holds for The Woman King and Barbarian, which should hit totals of $70M and $40M, respectively. 

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Tamil film. Based on a bestseller from almost 70 years ago which has been hugely marketed to the Indian community. 

It's like LOTR for Tamilians.

Corrected with thanks. Should have realised with the Lankan reference in the trailer.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

lmao just noticed Super Pets still dropped 25% despite the HBO Max factor. I know that there's literally nothing else out for little kids and Lyle will make it drop like a rock next week, but it's still legit impressive this didn't follow every other HBO Max release.

• Like 1

The strongest performing movie of the week for fantasy movie league is… Minions.    

One does assume that these are about to have a crocodile sized bite taken out of them — probably ending right around DM2 and SLOP, like a mil short of batsy 

17 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Massive, i think 75M is happening 

+130M WW including China with just re-releases. I think we can safely say Avatar 2 will be massive, the only question is how big.

OS is totally primed for Avatar 2 so while I think it's going to be very big dom as well, OS is going to be the real story.

Re: Smile. It's funny that the least hyped September opener crossed the covered 20M. WK had heavy marketing and lots of critical hyped while DWD had now legendary feud coverage. But Smile prevailed.

• Like 1