Grebacio

Weekend Thread | Actuals: Smile 22.6, DWD 6.85, TWK 6.8, Avatar 5, Bros 4.8

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Disney really should extend the re-release, if not domestically atleast OS, some countries have shown excellent holds, nothing like what you'd expect from a re-release.

I don't know WTF they are doing. They should have given it more than 1800 theaters dom. They should extend OS re-release. Disney is either disinterested in Fox IPs or inept at handling them.

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

Disney really should extend the re-release, if not domestically atleast OS, some countries have shown excellent holds, nothing like what you'd expect from a re-release.

Even the domestic hold (-54%) is far better than most of the rerelease. In fact, even a new release may not have this hold.  

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Smile should be good for at least $60M+ total with all of October coming up and being the most high-profile horror title that is a theatrical exclusive for spooky season. 2022 ended up being a pretty solid year for the genre.

Quality wise, it’s been excellent.

Smile should join Scream, Nope and The Black Phone in over $100m worldwide. 

It’s a shame there’s been so many great films that didn’t catch on at the box office. 

Only two theatrical ones to go: Halloween Ends and Prey For The Devil. 

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Even the domestic hold (-54%) is far better than most of the rerelease. In fact, even a new release may not have this hold.  

True, but pulling it OS after it's had a 40% drop 12.3M second weekend is downright silly. Really just leaving money on the table here.

Edited by JustLurking

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It’s a shame there’s been so many great films that didn’t catch on at the box office. 

It's been a lil while before we've had a possession film like Prey for the Devil as well. Maaaaybe that's got something in the tank too.

Obvs international still has Barbarian to release. Ants in my pants trying to avoid any kind of spoilers for that. 

Are Hatching, Menu and Speak No Evil not getting any kind of wide-ish release at all in North America or Europe?

EDIT: Seen Speak No Evil technically has already been released in UK on Shudder with no cinema footprint so that's a no there then. Shame.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The Menu and Bones and All are considered horror titles too, even if they're more "artsy" on the surface than the more traditional spooky flicks.

Weekly non-IP update Top 10

Nope- 123.2m (170.7m WW)

Free Guy- 121.6m (331.5m WW)

The Lost City- 105.3m (190.8m WW)

Everything Everywhere- 70m (100.7m WW)

Dog- 61.7m (84.9m WW)

Tenet- 58.5m (365.2m WW)

The Woman King- 46.7m (50.6m WW)

The Northman- 34.2m (69.1m WW)

Barbarian- 33.1m (34.8m WW)

Don't Worry Darling- 32.8m (54.7m WW)

If only Smile was original (based on a short film)

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

It's been a lil while before we've had a possession film like Prey for the Devil as well. Maaaaybe that's got something in the tank too.

Obvs international still has Barbarian to release. Ants in my pants trying to avoid any kind of spoilers for that. 

Are Hatching, Menu and Speak No Evil not getting any kind of wide-ish release at all in North America or Europe?

EDIT: Seen Speak No Evil technically has already been released in UK on Shudder with no cinema footprint so that's a no there then. Shame.

Hatching came out in the US back in April this year and in the UK last month, I watched at Cineworld, it was good! 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The Menu and Bones and All are considered horror titles too, even if they're more "artsy" on the surface than the more traditional spooky flicks.

Ah I forgot about Bones & All. The Menu looked like a thriller to me. Will see what it’s like. 

• Like 1

Nice hold for Don't Worry Darling all things considered. With those reviews, audience reception and the negative media coverage, this should have been a big flop, but will end up at least breaking even theatrically, and then easily turning a profit on VOD where it should receive relatively more attention. These numbers will probably look even better when Amsterdam opens. Olivia Wilde handled the controversies with grace, delivered an entertaining thriller and succeeded in the end, what a Queen :worthy:

16 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

According to NYTimes Bros had a marketing budget between 30 and 40 million.

Also:

Where’s the link to this article?

edit: found it

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/02/movies/bros-smile-box-office.html

That number still seems way too high for me. Did they mean $40m in total?

Edited by AJG

22 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

According to NYTimes Bros had a marketing budget between 30 and 40 million.

Also:

To be a little more blunt this time because of this comment from Eichner

I work in areas around musical theatre, my extended social and work group is made up of large swathes of Queer, especially gay, professional men and women; and I am in weekly training contact with dozens of LGBT students.

This film has no buzz about it. What this film thinks is its demographic cares fifty times more about Hocus Pocus 2, the new Hellraiser and the drama around Don't Worry Darling than a New York specific story that leans into a closed, Broadway-ified, definition of the "LGBT Community" that has alienated and continue to alienate a plurality of the gay and lesbian people who don't live in the 2 or 3 main urban pods of the biggest Western nations.

It's a demographically different version of when everyone was surprised Crazy Rich Asians didn't play well in China. Why would China care about the Americanised foibles of rich American Asians? Why would an 18 year old lesbian in Leeds who's never heard of Debra Messing see any kinship in the nuances and dynamics of balancing dudebro cache and Queer subcultural capital in middle class New York?

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 4