YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

20 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

This diversity breakdown for Black Adam actually shocks me...

"In addition, there’s a great diverse turnout of audiences for Black Adam with 29% Black, 26% Hispanic, 25% Caucasian and 13% Asian. "

THE ROCK IS ONE OF US!!!!

12 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

reading between the lines, this is at 3.5 stars on posttrak and high 70s % positive which places it in range of Thor 4 (3.5/77) and something like Alita Battle Angel (another film that went out of its way to give real numbers) or Eternals (3.5/78%positive/60% recommend)

remember "general audience" = non family audience so not the same as an overall star grade

, 4 stars from general audiences and 90% from kids under 12 on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak and 89% on the Rotten Tomatoes audience.

Don't know why they didn't include the recommend.

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

They really should've played up the Shazam connection more in the promo. People dug that movie.

Shazam remains one of the best DCEU movies ever made. So heartfelt..

Unfortunately most of Asia (whom loves The Rock) didnt really like Shazam; so having less of a connection may not be a bad thing.

United Artists Releasing and Eon’s Till  went to 104 runs in 28 markets and had some good plays in Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, St. Louis Baltimore, NYC and LA before going wide next weekend. $312k weekend outlook, +29% for a $602K ten-day run off a near 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

10.) Triangle of Sadness (NEON) 280 (+249) theaters, Fri, $215K (+63%), 3-day $645K/Total $1.4M/Wk 3

‘Box Office: Black Adam’ Powers To $25 Million On Friday – Deadline

Hot take: The Rock plays a de facto superhero in all his movies anyway and this was advertised as more of a Rock action movie than anything, so the added value of it being a DC superhero movie was always a bit overrated. People weren't clamoring to see "The Rock as a superhero" because they already get that.

• Like 1

Man of Steel 2 I'm up for. I feel the original is a few toppings short of being a classic pizza. No real interest in a sequel being another DC greatest hits mashup, but that's its destiny by the looks of it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

reading between the lines, this is at 3.5 stars on posttrak and high 70s % positive which places it in range of Thor 4 (3.5/77) and something like Alita Battle Angel (another film that went out of its way to give real numbers) or Eternals (3.5/78%positive/60% recommend)

remember "general audience" = non family audience so not the same as an overall star grade

What am I missing? The PostTrak is 4 stars per Deadline.

7 minutes ago, stephen said:

Seems a decent opening for the film, all things considered. Hyperoble aside, what's makes this film a success? 180 US, 400+ WW?

I think it would need to make 550+ to call it a success on the budget but I assume WB will probably be ok with anything 400+(since a sequel is apparently already written). 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

, 4 stars from general audiences and 90% from kids under 12 on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak and 89% on the Rotten Tomatoes audience.

Don't know why they didn't include the recommend.

21 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

What am I missing? The PostTrak is 4 stars per Deadline.

In Posttrak's dumb lingo, "general audience" score doesn't mean "audience score" it means the cross tab of something like "not-parent or kid rating." 

Take a look at how deadline described HTTYD for proof

The ‘A’ CinemaScore and ComScore/Screen Engine PostTrak polls are proof of that: 5 stars from general audiences (90% overall), 5 stars from parents (93%) and 4 1/2 stars from kids under 12 (92%). Overall audience make-up here is 52% general audience, 34% kids, and 14% parents.  - https://deadline.com/2019/02/weekend-box-office-how-to-train-your-dragon-dwayne-johnson-fighting-with-my-family-1202562635/

So we have "Kids gave it an high marks (4.5 stars?), non parents or kids gave it 4 stars and parents gave it ??? 

Perhaps it averages out to 4 stars but it's just a suspicious framing. 

on this topic, there are ~18/100 films this year with explicit posttrak data including what I'd consider unambiguous star ratings (i.e. I wouldn't include BA), ~71 w/ recommend #s, and ~65 with % positive

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I think it would need to make 550+ to call it a success on the budget but I assume WB will probably be ok with anything 400+(since a sequel is apparently already written). 

Always a good idea to have your sequel script locked before you know how audiences are going to react to the first film.

Anyway, I feel like WB can chalk this up as a “success” if it can claw its way to 175m domestic, 450m global. I can see this playing well on HBO Max and adding some value there. And that would be enough to at least keep The Rock around in an ensemble capacity, where he thrives.

Just now, OncomingStorm93 said:

Always a good idea to have your sequel script locked before you know how audiences are going to react to the first film.

Anyway, I feel like WB can chalk this up as a “success” if it can claw its way to 175m domestic, 450m global. I can see this playing well on HBO Max and adding some value there. And that would be enough to at least keep The Rock around in an ensemble capacity, where he thrives.

Maybe they were happy with audience reactions from test screenings? I don’t know tbh. 

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Not as bad as being halfway through filming Justice League when BVS dropped.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Astonished 1

Enormous, outstanding number for certified hit Black Adam.. Elite WOM is clearly driving above average IMs all around.. $70m weekend looks likely along with $200m+ domestic gross..

Henry Cavill's Superman vs. The Rock's Black Adam will be an easy $150m+ opener, if not well above..:popcorn:

Edited by excel1
  • Haha 9
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Enormous, outstanding number for certified hit Black Adam. Elite WOM is clearly driving above average IMs all around. $70m weekend looks likely along with $200m+ domestic gross.

Henry Cavill's Superman vs. The Rock's Black Adam will be an easy $150m+ opener, if not well above.

If this goes under 200m domestic, it is your fault for jinxing it.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 5

Missed the Blue Beetle discussion but honestly think it can be pretty big. DC comics fumbled the big with both Jaime Reyes and Virgil Hawkins as both could’ve easily been their Spider-Man in the comics despite Blue Beetle and Static being somewhat popular thanks to exposure in 2000s cartoons and appearances in video games. It also helps that’s there has never been a Hispanic led superhero film and test scores are pretty great. If marketing is strong and reviews are stronger, I think Shang-Chi numbers are the minimum (especially if it goes to September 22nd).

• Like 1