Eric Prime

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

3 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

This in November is kind of wild. I expect Wakanda Forever to have some mighty legs. It will be interesting to follow in the next upcoming weeks.

Also I’m not scrolling back to find the post, but Marvel Studios doesn’t need China. The world is different from 2019 and while I wouldn’t mind China opening up for Hollywood blockbusters eventually, I don’t want and I don’t think that the MCU would benefit of compromises to appeal to the China’s censors. Eff that. No Way Home came out less than one year ago and went gangbusters, MCU’S Phase 4 is one of my favorite times as a Marvel fan and they seem to be just warming up for phase 5 and 6. Onwards. 

Marvel Studios has already compromised with Kuwait's censorship and cut LGBT scene from Wakanda Forever, so they can do compromises in China too.

4 hours ago, Noctis said:

What's fascinating is that BP2 will undoubtedly have sold less tickets than Catching Fire, New Moon, BD1, BD2, and arguably roughly the same as DH1, GoF, and SS (maybe even a bit less than those). 

Inflation, IMAX and premium prices have accounted for a lot.

It puts in perspective how huge were Harry Potter, Twilight and Hunger Games sagas.

Anyways, none of these had to deal with a market damaged by pandemic effects, nor had to fight against streaming services and the change of habits it has introduced.

58 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Imagine if marvel studios was like other studios putting out cbms and fast tracked a BP sequel after the first one blew up. Instead of waiting 4 years, this alternative universe marvel would’ve released BP2 after 2 years. So the rushed sequel would’ve came out in 2020 instead. But and I’m being morbid here I admit, covid still happens and Chadwick Bozeman still passes away from cancer in August of 2020. This theoretical sequel would’ve been delayed to 2021. Do you think this sequel would’ve done more with Chadwick in it as his last role?  I know this is morbid but it’s just a thought that sprang in my head here while I’m sitting on my 15 minute break at work.

Uhh, Marvel is putting out CBMs faster than other studios. Even if we're talking direct sequels, it's all been about the same. Like the Aquaman sequel is coming out next year after a 5 year gap. Pretty sure the only franchise to have sequels release two years apart are the new Spider-Man films (a Marvel co-production).

1 hour ago, Tokugennumataka said:

10.5 (-74%) 

11.0  (+4%) 

8.5 (-23%) 

8 (-6%) 

21.1 (+170%) 

33.7 (+60%) 

20.2 (-40%) // 75M (-59%) wknd

Looks reasonable enough... 

75M second weekend is what I am also expecting.

Close to 300M first week, on its way to 500M DOM. 6th biggest MCU film.

38 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

Marvel Studios has already compromised with Kuwait's censorship and cut LGBT scene from Wakanda Forever, so they can do compromises in China too.

We're not just talking about editing out offensive clips. Marvel Studios has made major casting decisions and story changes to appease the CCP like The Mandarin, The Ancient One, etc

They wanted to completely change the statue of liberty scene in No Way Home.

I'm surprised Thanos' purge snuck through since he resembled a couple communist dictators.

It's time to stop letting an authoritarian autocracy with a long list of human rights violations control Hollywood

Oh the statue of liberty offends the CCP censors? Good, I hope it inspires freedom, truth, justice and democracy everywhere the sun shines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Agreed. It's a sick world when Hollywood feels compelled to make changes to movies in order to appease a country that kills and enslaves its people. This is why I don't personally care about or get into discussion about WW box office. Want to talk about North America and Europe and Austrlia and New Zealand? Fine. Want to even include Japan and South Korea? Great. But China's a whole different thing and to talk about "well if it were released in China, it would make a billion"-screw that and screw them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ken said:

So in the time since the 1st BP in 2018:  there are still no more Star Wars spinoff films, Detective Pikachu ranked only 18th WW in 2019, Mortal Engines and Alita both tanked, CRA didn't take off as a franchise, Depp lost Grindelwald, New Mutants came out during a global pandemic, Gambit didn't get made, Jeffrey Katzenberg's "new TV" venture didn't last a year, AT&T's ownership of WB sputtered, we finally got an Oscar telecast that cut most of the categories, and everybody hated the Wonder Woman sequel.

But through it all: at least James Gunn won in the end.

You forgot Avatar 2 and 3 finally got filmed.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ken said:

So in the time since the 1st BP in 2018:  there are still no more Star Wars spinoff films, Detective Pikachu ranked only 18th WW in 2019, Mortal Engines and Alita both tanked, CRA didn't take off as a franchise, Depp lost Grindelwald, New Mutants came out during a global pandemic, Gambit didn't get made, Jeffrey Katzenberg's "new TV" venture didn't last a year, AT&T's ownership of WB sputtered, we finally got an Oscar telecast that cut most of the categories, and everybody hated the Wonder Woman sequel.

But through it all: at least James Gunn won in the end.

What is CRA?

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

We're not just talking about editing out offensive clips. Marvel Studios has made major casting decisions and story changes to appease the CCP like The Mandarin, The Ancient One, etc

They wanted to completely change the statue of liberty scene in No Way Home.

I'm surprised Thanos' purge snuck through since he resembled a couple communist dictators.

It's time to stop letting an authoritarian autocracy with a long list of human rights violations control Hollywood

Oh the statue of liberty offends the CCP censors? Good, I hope it inspires freedom, truth, justice and democracy everywhere the sun shines.

First of all, the LGBT scene was not offensive. Cutting down the LGBT scene is a big deal. Second, for this same reason, the film has been banned in China. If Marvel Studios had no problem cutting a 10-second LGBT scene in Kuwait, why couldn't they do that in China? Isn't this a double standard?

25 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

First of all, the LGBT scene was not offensive. Cutting down the LGBT scene is a big deal. Second, for this same reason, the film has been banned in China. If Marvel Studios had no problem cutting a 10-second LGBT scene in Kuwait, why couldn't they do that in China? Isn't this a double standard?

You think China would reverse their ban if Marvel cut a 10 second scene?

Highly unlikely. China's ban goes beyond homophobia..

Remember Eternals and Shang Chi both with actors/directors who criticized the CCP in past statements? 

• Like 1

Statue of Liberty/Chloe Zhao/Simu Liu/Pierce Brosnan/gay people etc. all seem like made up excuses to keep most Hollywood fare out. Who knows what the CCP is thinking but I'd guess it's a mix of eliminating competition for local propaganda films and discouraging portrayals of aspirational lifestyles anywhere outside of China.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Factcheck said:

Why advocate cutting anything?  Personally, if I were on the board, I'd vote "no cuts" anymore.  If other cultures can't take it, maybe it's time for them to move forward a bit.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Crazy rich asians i think

Correct.

5 hours ago, eddyxx said:

You forgot Avatar 2 and 3 finally got filmed.

I know what happens when someone says the A word around here.