Eric Prime

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

THANKSGIVING AM: Refresh for chart and more analysis It’s theatrical forever for Disney/Marvel Studios’ Black Panther: Wakanda Forever which is coming in ahead of yesterday afternoon’s estimates with $10M, but not so much for the studio’s animated movie Strange World which did $4.2M. This will translate per industry estimates into a 3-day and 5 day of $43M and $55M-$60M for Wakanda Forever, and a disastrous 3 and 5 day of $15.8M and $20M-$23M for Strange World which cost a reported $135M. That’s not the worst for a Disney animated, particularly over Thanksgiving, but it’s close: Their $140M original animation movie Treasure Planet was in freefall back in 2003 with a 3-day of $12M and $16.5M. One former Disney exec once told me, “They’re very good at making the best worst case decision” and in the scenario of Strange World, that’s sending it to Disney+ by the holidays. Even though the pic is tanking in theaters, that type of big screen release will at least give it some mojo in ancillaries. Everybody remember as theatrical tries to finds its footing, especially among adult titles.

Speaking of adult titles, while Sony and Black Label Media’s Devotion per public box office reporting is seeing $1.8M from yesterday at 3,405 theaters, and $10.2M for the 5-day and 3-day of $6.1M, however, industry sources tells us Netflix’s sneak preview of release of Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery is killing off all adult competition, and it’s only in 638 theaters. We hear Wednesday was very close to $2M, with the 3-day and 5 day projected out to $8.5M and $12.3M, which is amazing for adult counterprogramming right now. 

https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-office-wakanda-forever-strange-world-bones-and-all-timothee-chalamet-thanksgiving-1235180803/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Whew, some dreadful numbers there. 

Devotion’s $1.8m includes the $615k previews? That’s awful. 

What a terrible Thanksgiving week. 

Terrible week, for sure.

But, If Devotion makes what it's predicted to make for the 5 day (around $10 million), I don't think they could have asked for more. It might be getting a tiny bump from Maverick (especially with Glen Powell). It's certainly not a good result, but I wouldn't call it a huge bomb either.

Though, Fabelmans, Strange World, Bones and All... eekkkk

If the Rian Johnson directed, Ram Bergman produced whodunnit sequel arrives at the high end, that’s a massive $19,2K theater average and proof adults still want to go to the movies.

To watch the sequel to a very successful movie that came out pre-pandemic, i doubt the first knives out would make half as much if it came out in the current market

2 minutes ago, motionpic05 said:

Terrible week, for sure.

But, If Devotion makes what it's predicted to make for the 5 day (around $10 million), I don't think they could have asked for more. It might be getting a tiny bump from Maverick (especially with Glen Powell). It's certainly not a good result, but I wouldn't call it a huge bomb either.

it cost 90m to produce devotion, its gonna be a huge bomb barring some miraculous greatest showman legs

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Beyond my dooming over adult films in general, we are starting to get at least some evidence that COVID-19 has changed how people do holidays enough to tamp down the normal boosts.

feels like an excuse for an unappealing slate of movies TBH

• Thanks 2

Terrible week, for sure.

Devotion cost $90m, not including marketing. It’s a giant bomb. 

Terrible week, for sure.

Devotion cost nearly $100M to make (and presumably won't make anything international). The studio's gonna be swimming in red ink on this one. Poor Majors and Powell.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Devotion cost nearly $100M to make (and presumably won't make anything international). The studio's gonna be swimming in red ink on this one. Poor Majors and Powell.

Guess I should have checked the budget again... I thought it was under $50 million

Okay, that's a massive bomb too..