Eric Loves Rey

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

Doesn’t seem like Netflix will provide numbers for Glass Onion, but looks like it’s doing good in the limited amount of theaters it’s in. Hopefully this encourages them to dip their toes into theatrical releases more in the future. People will see movies from Netflix if they’re good and cinematic 

Just now, Flip said:

I think these numbers are really just proof for the importance of marketing. Much has been said about the absence of marketing for Strange Worldbut there really hasn’t been much marketing for Devotion, which is sad because audiences seem to love it and it’s two stars are very up and coming. Fablemans and Bones and All are understandable, those are more niche titles, but Devotion and Strange World really seem like the type of mainstream movies that would thrive around this time. 

Absolutely. Strange World could have benefited greatly from being in the Disney Thanksgiving slot where so many have been successful in (Frozen films, Moana, even Encanto). Plus, there's literally no competition. The last family film was Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile and that's over 6 weeks old.

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Here's an idea: if studios stopped sending everything to streaming, maybe we'd have a healthier release schedule that isn't dominated by 1-2 movies at a time. Emancipation probably would've brought in more than any of the non-Glass Onion releases this weekend if it had a full theatrical rollout.

I don't think that's it. Throughout this year we've had a number of movies that didn't obviously scream "tentpoles" (Everything Everywhere, The Lost City, Elvis, The Black Phone, Where the Crawdads Sing, The Woman King, Smile, Ticket to Paradise) that made plenty of money.

The struggles of the Oscar/adult fare this fall has been a combination of the older audiences (and perhaps even the LA/NY ones too) that powered these movies becoming highly accustomed to watching them on streaming, the movies themselves having concepts that seemed limited in terms of commercial appeal in the first place, and given all the talk about a potential recession these days, people only having so much money to go around.

Edited by filmlover

I guess cannibalism and Thanksgiving don't go well together. Well maybe cannibalism and....anything don't go well together.

With all of these horrific performances, shouldn't BPWF be putting up stronger numbers this weekend?

Thor Rag had Coco, Wonder, and Justice League to contend with. It dropped less than 23%.

Doctor Strange had Fantastic Beasts and Moana. It dropped less than 23% also

Even Eternals had Encanto and Ghostbuster AL as well as its own rotten score and dropped less than 30%.

With an A score and 95% audience and certified fresh with NO real competition, the hell is  BPWF's excuse???

Edited by jedijake

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I don't think that's it. Throughout this year we've had a number of movies that didn't obviously scream "tentpoles" (Everything Everywhere, The Lost City, Elvis, The Black Phone, Where the Crawdads Sing, Smile, Ticket to Paradise) that made plenty of money.

The struggles of the Oscar/adult fare this fall has been a combination of the older audiences that powered these movies becoming highly accustomed to watching them on streaming, the movies themselves having concepts that seemed limited in terms of commercial appeal in the first place, and given all the talk about a potential recession these days, people only having so much money to go around.

Totally agree. A film needs a lot nowadays. People are pickier. There's more options now and more to consider. Going to the cinema costs a significant amount of money in these times, and people need to feel motivated to go.

All of the original films that released this year and were successful had something fresh and enticing to a wide audience. Everything Everywhere All at Once was heavily praised, had a Marvel type of feeling, etc. The Black Phone and Smile were horror films with great reviews, with a strong year for the genre in general, and both had originality attached to it. Ticket to Paradise relied on GC and JR and audiences wanting to see those two on the screen again. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't think that's it. Throughout this year we've had a number of movies that didn't obviously scream "tentpoles" (Everything Everywhere, The Lost City, Elvis, The Black Phone, Where the Crawdads Sing, The Woman King, Smile, Ticket to Paradise) that made plenty of money.

The struggles of the Oscar/adult fare this fall has been a combination of the older audiences (and perhaps even the LA/NY ones too) that powered these movies becoming highly accustomed to watching them on streaming, the movies themselves having concepts that seemed limited in terms of commercial appeal in the first place, and given all the talk about a potential recession these days, people only having so much money to go around.

I didn't even go see Till at NYFF or theatrically when it was one of the higher grossing speciality titles this fall, so yeah. Not everything demands a big screen if I'm dealing with a long week.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I guess cannibalism and Thanksgiving don't go well together. Well maybe cannibalism and....anything don't go well together.

With all of these horrific performances, shouldn't BPWF be putting up stronger numbers this weekend?

Thor Rag had Coco, Wonder, and Justice League to contend with. It dropped less than 23%.

Doctor Strange had Fantastic Beasts and Moana. It dropped less than 23% also

Even Eternals had Encanto and Ghostbuster AL as well as its own rotten score and dropped less than 30%.

With an A score and 95% audience and certified fresh with NO real competition, the hell is  BPWF's excuse???

some people are just Marveled out , and will just wait a month to stream

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Outside of one or two, these films are still largely making significantly less than they would have even five years ago. This is a problem that is important to recognize, because it shows, even if there are modest successes, that most audiences just aren't interested in movies that don't sell Happy Meals anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

some people are just Marveled out , and will just wait a month to stream

I think people are more "Marveled" out than we might realize. 

There's certainly still interest, and people are checking them out, but people don't seem to be in as big of a rush. 

This means nothing, but a man sighed when the Ant Man trailer came up before The Menu yesterday

He then said "Another one?"

1 minute ago, Eric Clade said:

Outside of one or two, these films are still largely making significantly less than they would have even five years ago. This is a problem that is important to recognize, because it shows, even if there are modest successes, that most audiences just aren't interested in movies that don't sell Happy Meals anymore.

Which one or two because all of these look pretty close to their potential or exceeded it. Comedies were already struggling in 2017 so The Lost City and Ticket to Paradise could've made the same money then that they did now and would've been no more or less impressive. 

I'll just repeat something I've been saying for the past couple years: The box office recovery will take time. 2022 is already ahead of 2021, and we're starting to see signs that streaming isn't the "theater killer" it was feared as evidenced by Glass Onion's apparent popularity and Amazon now investing a billion in theatrical exhibitions.

Yes, Strange World bombing as hard as it is is pretty concerning and it's disappointing that a lot of the well reviewed middlebrow stuff is still not finding an audience, but as long as the general trend is upward I think it's premature to say those genres are doomed to those fates (much like a lot of industry discourse since 2020, lol).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Which one or two because all of these look pretty close to their potential or exceeded it. Comedies were already struggling in 2017 so The Lost City and Ticket to Paradise could've made the same money then that they did now and would've been no more or less impressive. 

Everything Everywhere, Elvis, Black Phone, and Smile. Though debatably the latter two could have made slighly more coin. So yeah, re-reading things, I was exaggerating. But this is definitely applicable to Lost City, Ticket to Paradise, Crawdads, and Woman King. Even with comedy woes happening in 2017, I can see a scenario where Lost City did 135M and Paradise going to the century mark. Ditto for the other two.