Eric Loves Rey

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

1 minute ago, Eric Clade said:

Everything Everywhere, Elvis, Black Phone, and Smile. Though debatably the latter two could have made slighly more coin. So yeah, re-reading things, I was exaggerating. But this is definitely applicable to Lost City, Ticket to Paradise, Crawdads, and Woman King. Even with comedy woes happening in 2017, I can see a scenario where Lost City did 135M and Paradise going to the century mark. Ditto for the other two.

I dunno, I think Crawdads overperformed even the highest of expectations for it tbh, even with the immense popularity of the book (something that doesn't always guarantee the movie will be a hit). Nearly $100M for a drama that had mostly lousy reviews and no star power in the cast feels like an achievement not easily reached. 

• Like 3

Strange World earning only a B CinemaScore grade is very "not great, Bob." This and Lightyear both flopping goes to show that the Disney action/sci-fi curse (a class that includes Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Mars Needs Moms, John Carter, Tomorrowland, and A Wrinkle in Time) lives on.

If it weren't for Turning Red think this would be the worst year for collective Disney animation arms in recent memory.

Maybe they should try releasing that in theaters for awards campaigning, might do better than this at least

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Wow, these verified RT reviews are getting even worse! As if the homophobia wasn't enough, now there's racist reviews upset about the interracial couple? These people are nuts. I would normally expect this from the review-bombing "All Audience" amalgamation, but sad that it happens even with ticket verification.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, datpepper said:

Wow, these verified RT reviews are getting even worse! As if the homophobia wasn't enough, now there's racist reviews upset about the interracial couple? These people are nuts. I would normally expect this from the review-bombing "All Audience" amalgamation, but sad that it happens even with ticket verification.

Buying a ticket just so they can spout ugly rhetoric online only reveals that they're even more sad and pathetic than simply review-bombing a movie unseen.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, AniNate said:

If it weren't for Turning Red think this would be the worst year for collective Disney animation arms in recent memory.

Maybe they should try releasing that in theaters for awards campaigning, might do better than this at least

Even with turning red — what was worse?

Feel like people should kind of ease off the bigots narrative after that B…  

like, yes, clearly there are some bigots in America. They will object to the film for bigoted reasons if they see it, and some did — but most bigots just don’t go see it! Clearly it is not working for GA either. Similar case to Bros quite recently

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, datpepper said:

Its RT-verified audience score is what a movie gets with a B Cinemascore. I think either the movie is bad or a section of the audience who don't want kids to watch LGBT movies didn't know the movie would be about LGBT and hence gave it a bad rating.

If it’s doing these BO numbers with anti-gay people turning up because they didn’t realize it has gay characters, imagine how low it would be with better marketing — true 12d chess tactic here from the house o’ mouse /s

• Haha 1

Ouch that B is as bad as Marvel's B ultimately. Considering that family audiences are usually easier to please and a B+ would have already been concerning, a B speaks to it not sitting well with more than just the bigoted side. Hmmm.... totally not what I expected. 

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Turning Red is great and a smash [sadly on D+ because Chapek is stupid] 

Was low-mid Pixar for me personally and streaming numbers were good-not-crazy-good, but those are both beside the point. Turning red definitely brings the yearly avg up a lot, but in order to avoid being the worst there’s gotta be a different year which is actively worse — I’m curious which year that is in their estimation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Was low-mid Pixar for me personally and streaming numbers were good-not-crazy-good, but those are both beside the point. Turning red definitely brings the yearly avg up a lot, but in order to avoid being the worst there’s gotta be a different year which is actively worse — I’m curious which year that is in their estimation.

Ohhhh now this makes more sense than what i understand lol 

It´s definitely their worst year this century at least. Until this past decade they always just dropped 1 movie every year, 2 at most when Pixar releases [and it wasn´t yearly], so it´s hard to compare. 

But in these past years that they releases 3 movies in a span of months i think 2022 is by far their worst selection, they dropped bad movies before but it´s usually 2 goods - 1 bad, now 1 good - 2 bads is a new terrible place for them

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Legion By Night said:

like, yes, clearly there are some bigots in America. They will object to the film for bigoted reasons if they see it, and some did — but most bigots just don’t go see it! Clearly it is not working for GA either. Similar case to Bros quite recently

To add to that the primary audience families/kids are easy to please .  Even with some bigoted reviews . B cinemascore is just plain bad.

If there was any issue of VA backlash,think we would have seen a clear discrepancy in the CS. Guess just turned off a section of the GA.

Let's see what postrak brings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Legion By Night said:

I think it’s currently in the three most streamed films of the year.

edit: I’m starting to think it’s the biggest 2022 released film. I’m gonna check.

Edited by AJG

2 hours ago, Legion By Night said:

Is it similar to Bros though? Bros worked for those that saw it, it's just that almost nobody cared. Strange World is on the worst of both worlds, most people aren't interested but those that are also still aren't liking it.

More than about representation, it should probably tell Disney to just give up on the sci-fi animation. And, like, make better films while they're at it.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1