Eric the Fall Guy

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

46 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Fabelmans is whatever. Michelle's overacting and it's longer than it needs to be. Brilliant Paul Dano performance tho.

Now Bones and All... yum. That's a feast.

I had no idea Fablemans was out (let alone going Wide this weekend) until I saw this post…

• Like 1

I don´t really care about Strange World but still this makes me very sad because being honest, i think it´s possible that we´re about to see Hollywood going back to less representation, especially LGBTQIA+. 

They want money, and while i can argue that all the recent flops have way more to do with quality or marketing, i bet they will just see all the awful headlines surrounding the movies with a lot of attacks and boycotts online, the terrible box office numbers and the fact that all of them have queer characters to make a decision. 

From Lightyear, to Bros, Fantastic Beasts 3 and now Strange World, pretty much all the movies with proeminent queer characters not only flopped hard this year, but also suffer from attacks. 

The attacks are despicable, the failure is normal tho since a lot of movies with white or straight people also flop, but with LGBTQIA+ characters i feel there´s no wildly succesful movies to balance things. If this trend of failures continues without huge movies in between, all this progressist attemps will vanish which is depressing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

I had no idea Fablemans was out (let alone going Wide this weekend) until I saw this post…

Absolutely nothing from the fall festivals has sustained buzz aside from Banshees and TÁR, which came out in October during/right after the last big fests and still underperformed. It's a mix of studios being scared their films will peak too early and simply that older audiences aren't back for speciality releases yet (and Fabelmans is absolutely a speciality release; nowhere near as accessible as the last few Spielberg dramas)

Edited by WrathOfHan

I've seen both Glass Onion: Knives Out (at TIFF) and Fabelmans (in theatres Today)

I think Glass Onion is fantastic. Easily top ten of the year for me and I think it's better than the first film. It can be kind of over the top at times, and some of the "jokes" aren't great and don't work, but It's different and doesn't just replicate the original. As someone else stated, Janelle is phenomenal. She stands out. I think Craig was fantastic too.

Fabelmans is overrated by critics. It's certainly fine and a good movie, but it drags on. The story seems all over the place at one point as well.

Spoiler

Half of the movie focuses heavily on the love of movies, and the next hour is heavily focused on family drama. 

• Like 2

Some on Twitter are being overly dramatic about movie theatres. 

I've seen "theatres are going to close" posts. 

Audiences are just being pickier. Plus, it's not like the new releases are heavily appealing to a wide audience. 

Strange World didn't even get promoted. 

Devotion looks like a Maverick rip off. 

Glass Onion is out on Netflix for free in a week.

Fabelmans is only targeted towards cinema lovers.

Bones and All just simply seems niche.  

If cinemas faced off a pandemic that basically shut down releases for a year, I think they are going to be paddle through.

Perhaps, theatres will become more of an "event" and some theatres will close, but cinema is always going to be here.

4 hours ago, Gopher said:

TREASURE PLANET Thanksgiving weekend, adjusted for inflation: 26.26 million

STRANGE WORLD Thanksgiving weekend, if it follows ENCANTO's daily holds from last year... 26.33 million. 

I know Disney dumped STRANGE WORLD, but they dumped TREASURE PLANET too, back in the day. Yikes.

Honestly Treasure Planet's bombing remains more embarrassing simply because it wasn't even the biggest Disney movie over that Thanksgiving weekend (getting edged out barely by the in-its-5th-weekend The Santa Clause 2). Strange World isn't either, but the other Disney movie is a big Marvel juggernaut that's still going strong in its third frame so it's excused.

6 minutes ago, motionpic05 said:

Some on Twitter are being overly dramatic about movie theatres. 

I've seen "theatres are going to close" posts. 

Audiences are just being pickier. Plus, it's not like the new releases are heavily appealing to a wide audience. 

Strange World didn't even get promoted. 

Devotion looks like a Maverick rip off. 

Glass Onion is out on Netflix for free in a week.

Fabelmans is only targeted towards cinema lovers.

Bones and All just simply seems niche.  

If cinemas faced off a pandemic that basically shut down releases for a year, I think they are going to be paddle through.

Perhaps, theatres will become more of an "event" and some theatres will close, but cinema is always going to be here.

Post the tweets here. I want to laugh.

Edited by AJG

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Post the tweets here. I want to laugh.

I assume they're referring to this thread from the executive editor at Variety:

Favorite of mine is pinning the low numbers for Bones and All on Timothee. lmao that movie was always going to be a future cult hit at best. Chalamet may be popular and everything, but he's not a miracle worker who can will an off-putting concept to success.

Edited by filmlover

Here's an idea: if studios stopped sending everything to streaming, maybe we'd have a healthier release schedule that isn't dominated by 1-2 movies at a time. Emancipation probably would've brought in more than any of the non-Glass Onion releases this weekend if it had a full theatrical rollout.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I assume they're referring to this thread from the executive editor at Variety:

Favorite of mine is pinning the low numbers for Bones and All on Timothee. lmao that movie was always going to be a future cult hit at best. Chalamet may be popular and everything, but he's not a miracle worker who can will an off-putting concept to success.

That's the one.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Here's an idea: if studios stopped sending everything to streaming, maybe we'd have a healthier release schedule that isn't dominated by 1-2 movies at a time. Emancipation probably would've brought in more than any of the non-Glass Onion releases this weekend if it had a full theatrical rollout.

Emancipation isn't selling Happy Meals. People don't want to go to movies that don't sell Happy Meals anymore. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, ringedmortality said:

The sad thing about Strange World is that it won’t even get an Oscar nomination, unlike Treasure Planet. Because back then there were way less animated movies released back then.

Congrats to Universal though on possibly getting two and beating Disney at their own game.

Are they though? Turning Red, Marcel, and Pinocchio all seem safe, and the other two could easily be some of Netflix's films. Maybe Bad Guys has a chance to sneak in, but it's not a safe bet IMO

I think these numbers are really just proof for the importance of marketing. Much has been said about the absence of marketing for Strange Worldbut there really hasn’t been much marketing for Devotion, which is sad because audiences seem to love it and it’s two stars are very up and coming. Fablemans and Bones and All are understandable, those are more niche titles, but Devotion and Strange World really seem like the type of mainstream movies that would thrive around this time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric Clade said:

Are they though? Turning Red, Marcel, and Pinocchio all seem safe, and the other two could easily be some of Netflix's films. Maybe Bad Guys has a chance to sneak in, but it's not a safe bet IMO

Marcel is not safe at all, it probably won’t even end up with a nomination.

They have Bad Guys and Puss in Boots. At the very least Bad Guys is a lot likelier than Marcel. It’s also likelier than Wendell and Wild (which no one seems to care about).