Grebacio

Weekend Thread | Violent Night 1.1M in previews

Wakanda Forever won the week with $54.2M in its third go-round and a running total of $376.1M. The pic made $1.8M yesterday at 4,290.

Fathom Events had the Joshua Enck directed title I Heard the Bells about the writing of the Christmas carol and its author Henry Wadsworth Longfellow; the pic was second on Thursday with $770K at 1,110 locations.

Disney’s Strange World ended its first week with $13.8M, a running total of $20.6M; the pic was 5th yesterday with an estimated $396K.

Sony and Black Label’s Devotion made $7.9M in third place for the week, was 4th on Thursday with $421K, and a running total of $11M.

Searchlight’s The Menu was fourth for the week with $7.7M, a third place Thursday of $514K, and a running total of $21.1M, 7% behind the 14-day running total of Searchlight’s genre movie Ready or Not.

UAR‘s Bones and All was 5th for the week with $3.3M, a $4.8M running total and a Thursday of $238k.

• Like 1

Violent Night was looking pretty strong in my area last night. A few of the theatres I track I would have said 1M is possible based on their attendance, but since I don't have my full tracking abilities anymore, I wasn't willing to go out on that limb :(

Good for it though! Hoping it can hit low-teens this weekend.

13 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Not very good for WF. 

4.7 (+160) 

7.7 (+65) 

5.0 (-35) // 17.4 (-62%) does seem like a likely scenario although there's possibility that it goes lower. 

Could you explain those numbers? Certainly they are not for the weekend. That's $17.4 million. That's a 62% drop from its third weekend. That's the very definition of "falling off the rails".

There will be those who would back pedal and say "that's to be expected" or "people are just being doom and gloom" and be revisionists. Some of those folks were the ones to say that it will reach at least $470 million. 

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

18 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Could you explain those numbers? Certainly they are not for the weekend. That's $17.4 million. That's a 62% drop from its third weekend. That's the very definition of "falling off the rails".

There will be those who would back pedal and say "that's to be expected" or "people are just being doom and gloom" and be revisionists. Some of those folks were the ones to say that it will reach at least $470 million. 

They're for the weekend. I've given reasonable Fri and Sat bumps over that 1.8M Thursday. 17-17.5M looks like where it'll end up. 

23 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Last week was a soft drop because of Thanksgiving. If it was a normal weekend it drop would have dropped around 45% to about $36m. ~$18m would be a normal 50% drop from that.

BP2 is currently performing almost exactly like BP's 5th Mon-Thursday frame. In its 6th weekend it grossed... $17m.

• Like 1

WF is doing what is has done every week now. Bleak weekday numbers and then it recovers during the weekend to a ok number. It will likely do the same again. The second weekend so many was saying it will not even reach 63M... after the weekday numbers

Edited by thajdikt
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Look up November blockbusters' drops on the post-Thanksgiving weekend over the years. They're always brutal.

• Like 2

RT Verified Score at this point in time:

Violent Night: 91%

Honestly better than I expected. I assumed we would have had a Bullet Train-style mid-80s score, so it could at least have a good second weekend hold before Avatar demolishes everything.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thajdikt said:

WF is doing what is has done every week now. Bleak weekday numbers and then it recovers during the weekend to a ok number. It will likely do the same again. The second weekend so many was saying it will not even reach 63M... after the weekday numbers

Yep. @jedijake The culprit here is the really soft weekdays. The weekends have behaved pretty strongly (Friday/Saturday bumps and Sunday drop) but the raw numbers are still a little lower than you'd like because the weekends are bouncing off soft weekdays.

This on top of the fact that post Thanksgiving weekend drops are usually harsh.

Edited by Verrows