Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Minions 2 was this year's example of the out of nowhere weekend - presales did not indicate ANYTHING like that weekend was...and then it still had legs...

Yes, I had to leave for a spell but when I was on the road Minions 2 came to me as an example as well.  Not only because of the insane preview number that was completely unexpected, but that weekend showed that it wasn't just meme-ing and it had a real chance at longevity.

Thu/Fri could have just been a flash in the pan.  Sat though was the first real sign that "wow, this really might be something".

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Black Panther says hello.  Others probably, as well. 

But for me the Out of Nowhere Saturday Number on top of the better than foreseen Friday is the Gold Standard for "Something Magical Is Developing".

For me, it’s some momentum (which your examples fit), with numbers consistently landing on high end or beating daily expectations/% change and/or mid-day estimates, the later of which suggests more late breaking ticket buyers 

Here was TGM’s daily and OW estimate by Deadline report: 

Fri mid-day = $50M Fri/$117M 3-day 

Fri eve = $51M Fri

($52M actual)

Sat AM = $150M 4-day 

Sat PM = $37M Sat

($38M actual)

Sun AM = $151M 4-day/$32M Sun

($36.7 actual)

Mon AM = $156M 4-day ($28.4M Mon)

($160.5/$33.6M actuals)

Even adjusting to new information as weekend went along, estimates still kept falling short, because WOM effect had begun and was adding even more to each day 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, M37 said:

For me, it’s some momentum (which your examples fit), with numbers consistently landing on high end or beating daily expectations/% change and/or mid-day estimates, the later of which suggests more late breaking ticket buyers 

Here was TGM’s daily and OW estimate by Deadline report: 

Fri mid-day = $50M Fri/$117M 3-day 

Fri eve = $51M Fri

($52M actual)

Sat AM = $150M 4-day 

Sat PM = $37M Sat

($38M actual)

Sun AM = $151M 4-day/$32M Sun

($36.7 actual)

Mon AM = $156M 4-day ($28.4M Mon)

($160.5/$33.6M actuals)

Even adjusting to new information as weekend went along, estimates still kept falling short, because WOM effect had begun and was adding even more to each day 

From memory Venom 2 kept on beating projections after every update.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CanadianNaturist said:

1 hour ago, cookie said:

Armageddon is mid-level Bay. Falls apart once they land on the asteroid, IMO

The only good thing to come out of that movie was that banger of a song by Aerosmith

Spoiler

And Liv Tyler

7 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Also from Deadline:

"Avatar: The Way of Water easily gets an A CinemaScore, the same grade as its first film 13 years ago. PostTrak is still 5 stars, 91% with men at 58%, women at 42%. Men over 25 are the biggest quad at 36% (89% grade), followed by women over 25 at 24% (93% grade), men under 25 at 21% (89% grade), and women under 25 at 19% (94% grade) — arguably a great hearty turnout for each demo. Diversity demo update on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak audience exits are 33% Caucasian, 27% Hispanic, 17% Black, 15% Asian and 8% Other."

Makes you wonder, are they increasing the diversity by appealing more to minorities, or by decreasing appeal to whites? Because the latter would suggest they left $40m+ on the table by not bringing out a more representative audience.

2 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

Edge of Tomorrow was very solid other than the ending, which I remember feeling like it was a copout.

I imagined a sequel in my head where Tom becomes the monster thing. He (inadvertently) starts turning humans into mind zombies, and the Emily Blunt eventually figures out it is Tom and has to find a way to kill him, and the monster, permanently. In the third film, we find out Tom actually got Benjamin Buttoned.

1 hour ago, Reddroast said:

Bay's best work is pain and gain

One of the best performances from both Marky Mark and The Rock.

20 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

The only good thing to come out of that movie was that banger of a song by Aerosmith

Hide contents

And Liv Tyler

Put another way, you enjoy things that come out of Steven Tyler.

11 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Realistically we're probably looking at $42-44M for Saturday. I'd say it's 95% likely to fall in that range.

That seems low. Not saying your wrong just that will barely get to 130. I was hoping 140 might still be on the cards but seems like no I guess.