Eric Furiosa

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

19 minutes ago, GipJo said:

No Way Home is one of the worst movies from Marvel. I'm surprised how people could be so blind by all those nostalgia. It was horrible movie that didn't even feel like a movie. It tells no story with no real character with no emotion weight (other than blindly emotional just because woohoo three spidermans on the same screen melikey).

I have no nostalgia for previous Spider-Man movies (I barely remember them, to be honest), and I enjoyed No Way Home more than most movies I've watched in the past few years. If you don't like it doesn't mean it's horrible or has no emotional weight. Peter's only relative dying or him being forgotten by everyone who knew him and loved him is plenty emotional.

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

I can’t believe I am enabling this but…

Endgame was so special. My Bestie and I met up in NYC to see it together. I will never forget our first showing. When it got to Portals/Avengers Assemble line up, I was muttering I under my breath “say it.”  Then suddenly some guy in the back is screaming “SAY IT”. Next thing you know the whole thing is basically chanting. You could HEAR “Assemble” it was so loud when the cheers erupted 

Magic. 

Cinemas are so awesome. I love seeing movies with people. 

I never cried at a movie theater so much. I never screamed at a movie theater so hard. It was the most cathartic moviegoing experience of a generation. The house that Kevin has built.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

I can’t believe I am enabling this but…

Endgame was so special. My Bestie and I met up in NYC to see it together. I will never forget our first showing. When it got to Portals/Avengers Assemble line up, I was muttering I under my breath “say it.”  Then suddenly some guy in the back is screaming “SAY IT”. Next thing you know the whole thing is basically chanting. You could HEAR “Assemble” it was so loud when the cheers erupted 

Magic. 

Cinemas are so awesome. I love seeing movies with people. 

Yes when people express their emotions and celebrate the characters it's amazing. That's what theatre is for !!!

• Like 1

Just now, M37 said:

I specifically used the analogy of watching at a bar (not live) where it’s still the TV broadcast and sound does matter. Like a celebration erupting over a TD catch where you miss the announcers pointing out the flag or that the QB is writhing on the ground in pain. Yeah, you’ll probably figure it out in due time, but there’s still a loss in that moment 

(Not being critical of your preference, just saying there’s appetite for both options)

I guess so, but just not the same thing for me, if only because of the difference in immersion between the two - just a completely different kind of experience. I could easily watch a sport broadcast without the announcers but no way in hell would I watch a film with people screaming over it, I'd just walk out tbh.

To each his own yea but I sure am grateful audiences here share my PoV so I've had pretty much never had any complaints (other than the rare annoying kid in some shows). Those kind of reactions might be cool cool when I'm re-watching a scene I liked maybe but on first watch? Pass.

Top crazy crowds for me:

-AEG(theater was a stadium)

-AIW 

-Avengers

-Spider-Man NWH

-GOTG(2014) 

-LOTR ROTK 

-TITANIC(I just remember looking around in the theater as a kid when the movie was over & the entire crowd was in tears. Very powerful) 

-Black Panther 

-The Wolf of Wall Street  

-The Hunger Games CF 

-Gone Girl

22 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

I mean have you read that treatment and how Mary Jane was the absolutely the worst and how much of an incel in the making Peter was depicted? 

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/spider-man/james-cameron-spider-man-movie

It’s well documented. For all my historical grievances with Sam Raimi and mostly Avi Arad, we avoided a bullet here. 

There's a lot of bullshit in this article, like Arnold as Doc Oc rumor who wasn't even in that treatment or erotic spider dance nonsense. And how Peter staring at his crush and falling from the wall makes him an incel exactly? There are tons of scenes like that in coming of age comedies. Again, I'm not blue checkmark on twitter, so I don't get what's the problem here. Cameron took some liberties with the source material, but I'm sure it would've been a massive hit and considered a classic now if he made it, it's Jim Cameron after all and there was a lot of interesting stuff in that treatment. Also R rating could work, even though I doubt Cameron would go for it if he made it.

Edited by Firepower

22 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Yeah but like, I show up to theaters because I love movies. I want the content. I don't give a fuck what other people are thinking about the film until the credits start playing - then sure, clap, scream, do whatever.

Watching a sports game does not require you to immerse yourself in the picture, nor does it matter if you can't hear the sound etc. so not really the same thing. The actual "loss in content" from crowds in sport events is minimal, while in films it is huge.

I strongly disagree but again, I am Indian.  My crowd can dance right next to me, depending on the movie shown and I won't be bothered at all - Rarely, there are occasions where Movie requires complete Silence and Generally, Audience are sensible enough to keep quite at right moments.

I have met Korean who wasn't able to drive Vehicle in India simply because of constant Horns. Just Yesterday, I saw a Japanese Couple waiting at Cross-road here in Lucknow, while staring at Indians who kept crossing road while showing their hands to incoming vehicles. I had to urge 'em to move ahead with a promise that I will protect 'em, nothing will happen to 'em. So, Yeah - what may seem problem to you might be super normal for other. 

Edited by Shanks
  • Like 1

Just now, cookieleeann said:

Top crazy crowds for me:

-AEG(theater was a stadium)

-AIW 

-Avengers

-Spider-Man NWH

-GOTG(2014) 

-LOTR ROTK 

-TITANIC(I just remember looking around in the theater as a kid when the movie was over & the entire crowd was in tears. Very powerful) 

-Black Panther 

-The Wolf of Wall Street  

-The Hunger Games CF 

-Gone Girl

I legit think people do not understand what the MCU is. This isn’t going the way of the westerns, the MCU will very much outlive us all or die when we all die out of an world ending scenario. It’s the culmination of what blockbuster filmmaking is. You might not enjoy it, you might love it or hate it. It’s here to stay. And you all can blame George Lucas for that. Or Stan Lee. Or both.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shanks said:

I strongly disagree but again, I am Indian.  My crowd can dance right next to me, depending on the movie shown and I won't be bothered at all - Rarely, there are occasions where Movie requires complete Silence and Generally, Audience are sensible enough to keep quite at right moments.

I have met Korean who wasn't able to drive Vehicle in India simply because of constant Horns. So, Yeah - what may seem problem to you might be super normal for other. 

Just Yesterday, I saw a Japanese Couple waiting at Cross-road here in Lucknow, while staring at Indians who kept crossing road while showing their hands to incoming vehicles. I had to urge 'em to move ahead with a promise that I will protect 'em, nothing will happen to 'em. 

Yeah I gotcha, cultural (or even just personal) differences and all. Just can't imagine it myself.

5 minutes ago, Shanks said:

My crowd can dance right next to me

Well that's what they do in Single Screens.

6 minutes ago, Shanks said:

staring at Indians who kept crossing road while showing their hands to incoming vehicles.

Well that's a classic Indian behavior.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

To each his own yea but I sure am grateful audiences here share my PoV so I've had pretty much never had any complaints (other than the rare annoying kid in some shows). Those kind of reactions might be cool cool when I'm re-watching a scene I liked maybe but on first watch? Pass.

I think I agree with you, in that I would prefer to absorb the movie in first watch, but would have no issue with a “fan” experience on subsequent viewings, where you’re not missing anything 

With that said, I’ve never had the kind of first watch experience @Cap described for Endgame (the only big Thursday preview I think I’ve seen in 10 years was … Finding Dory), so I can’t directly compare

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Good point about hearing people crying in Titanic. That was incredible. 
Happened in ROTK too when Sam picked up Frodo. I really struggled to keep it together in that scene. 

It was during my high school days. Lots of my classmates lost their virginity thanks to Cameron. Not me though, it came later that year and involved climbing to a second floor balcony in the middle of the night, Spider-Man style. Or Daredevil.

• Astonished 1

40 minutes ago, GipJo said:

No Way Home is one of the worst movies from Marvel. I'm surprised how people could be so blind by all those nostalgia. It was horrible movie that didn't even feel like a movie. It tells no story with no real character with no emotion weight (other than blindly emotional just because woohoo three spidermans on the same screen melikey).

You know, it’s like different people have different tastes in movies than you.

I’m not an Avatar fan, but a lot of people like that film.

Lmao, these trolls are getting out of control. 

A movie doesn’t make 800+ million dollars if people don’t like it. Get the fuck over yourself.

And lol at there being no stakes, stakes were higher in No away home than every other MCU film(minus Infinity War/Endgame).

Edited by KJsooner

3 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

I’m not an Avatar fan, but a lot of people like that film.

A movie doesn’t make 800+ million dollars if people don’t like it. Get the fuck over yourself.

And lol at there being no stakes, stakes were higher in No away home than every other MCU film(minus Infinity War/Endgame).

On that point, what exactly were the stakes in NWH.

Bunch of people coming to this universe who knew Peter.

Compared to world ending stakes of many previous MCU movies?

Just now, KJsooner said:

I’m not an Avatar fan, but a lot of people like the film.

It has arguably the most in-story heartbreaking loss. I could only compare with Wakanda Forever and Endgame. As a Spider-Man lifelong comic book fan the idea of changing Peter Parker’s story so much should be sacrilegious. The trilogy made it work because they made us care about May more than we actually throughly care about Uncle Ben in the comics. They made us feel that death and that truly come out of nowhere during the film, and I’m so glad that I didn’t get spoiled for what was coming. When she started talking ‘with great power there must also come great responsibility’ I started crying and whisper ‘no no no’ at my seat. Spider-Man: No Way Home is an impossible film that should absolutely not work but yet it’s one of best superhero films of all time. A celebration of who Spider-Man is, of 20 years of the character’s film history and literally marked the return of blockbuster cinema at one of the worst moments of the movie industry of all time. This is historical stuff. We will be talking about how Spider-Man: No Way Home was the first full blown blockbuster film after the pandemic for the next 30 years. 

With that said, of course that there will be naysayers. All the best films have those. 

And France is so screwed. Good. Messi 1 x 0 France.