Eric S'ennui

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

6 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah. Same. I'd have much rather seen A2 in Dolby 2D than the Dolby 3D I saw it in. Didn't have an option. I don't like the effect 3D has in that makes the giant screen somewhat smaller but pop out like a pop up book but obviously far more detailed. I prefer the giant the screen without the 3D effect. It actually makes it more difficult to become immersed as the 3D, while absolutely magnificent for A2 when compared against other 3D movies I've seen (was around in '09 during that bullshit post A1 fad so A LOT of them unfortunately) but actually takes me out of the movie more than pulls me in. Dolby or IMAX sans 3D I find far more immersive, especially for films shot in IMAX with the IMAX cameras.

Yep, same here on the 3D effects. I remember seeing Avatar’s 3D version in 2009 and noticed the glasses made the screen look smaller. I also get headaches from the glasses. To this day I still think 70mm IMAX is the best presentation. Giant screen with crystal clear image quality. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

USA run is a disappointment, considering it dropped further on Tuesday, whereas i was told movies jump on Tuesday. 

Today is Tuesday, we don't yet know how its doing

So, this doesn't make sense

Most Anticipated Superhero Movies

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  2. Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse
  3. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
  4. The Marvels (July 28)
  5. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

Fandango forgot to add The Marvels in top 10 list?? Or is the first list wrong??

F

Just now, XXR 4x OW or Bust said:

Even on the low end, ATWOW will still make over $1.45B which is a totally respectable number (excluding expectations). FWIW, I’m still in on the $1.7B+ train.

Interestingly enough, taking out Japan (which has always been sort of a weird market in and of itself) and China (since it is impossible to evaluate how a normal China would have done right now), it is interesting how the main disappointing markets are the english speaking ones. Just feels like the movie fell off harder in these places.

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

People can pause things at home.  Also fast forward through parts that are boring them.

People just consume media differently in binge mode than in-a-theater-for-3.5-hours mode.

Honestly, I've always felt that the "well people binge, so what's the big deal" comments were... Well lots of words/phrases could be used but I'll settle on "not really applicable".

Eh...that's certainly possible, they *can* do it, but I'm not sure they actually avail themselves of those options during content that's engaging them--other than bathroom breaks or kitchen runs.

Certainly, I don't. Though that's admittedly a sample size of one.

Still, this line of doubt doesn't feel particularly compelling to me.

Edited by LinksterAC

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

Interestingly enough, taking out Japan (which has always been sort of a weird market in and of itself) and China (since it is impossible to evaluate how a normal China would have done right now), it is interesting how the main disappointing markets are the english speaking ones. Just feels like the movie fell off harder in these places.

Perhaps the 13 years of hate online has influenced the 18-40yo internet addicted male film watchers. Which obviously only applies to English speaking countries.

Edited by IronJimbo

8 minutes ago, M37 said:

Today is Tuesday, we don't yet know how its doing

Fwiw presales were indeed down (and not insignificantly) from what I saw. But these weekdays will have like 75% of business done on walkups so yeah, too early. Very roughly would guess it maybe drops 10%, but some uncertainty as well about how many theaters/chains are canceling discounts. I think most are, but if more are keeping the discount than I thought, it could go higher. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s not even 12am in most of North America. We will have something 12 hours or so from now.

It’s 1:25 PM Eastern and 12:25 PM Central. That covers a huge chunk of population. If Deadline is generous, they might give us a Tuesday estimate in the next 4-5 hours. 

Can't really understand why people are so sure about a $500M+ finish for A2.

It really did underperform up until now in the US.

O/U BP2 total DOM.

On the other hand, OS should bring in $900M, perhaps even more.

Gonna go with $1.3 - $.1.375B

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s not even 12am in most of North America. We will have something 12 hours or so from now.

*whispers*

(Yes, I know, just trying to be a bit charitable with the quoted post.) 😉

Edited by LinksterAC

41 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

I feel like smaller weekdays actually point to bigger weekends, doesn’t burn that much demand and there is still plenty of time to catch the movie - at a proper screen, not just to fill that urge to see it ASAP

While that can be true, small and midsize are already cutting showing and seat availability significantly with weekend 2 (and heck, even with some cuts for Wed, although the biggest ones are Friday).  So, it either makes its money this week and next, or it could get even harder to do in weekends 3 and 4...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

4. The Marvels (July 28)

Fandango forgot to add The Marvels in top 10 list?? Or is the first list wrong??

F

The Tweet and graphic got it wrong, probably on purpose lmao. Everything for those clicks and interactions.

FWIW, My personal most anticipated list for 2023:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3

2. The Marvels

4. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

5. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

6. The Super Mario Bros Movie

7. Blue Beetle

8. Creed III

9. John Wick: Chapter 4

10. Aquaman 2

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

4. The Marvels (July 28)

F

only 5000 votes is very low

5 minutes ago, XXR 4x OW or Bust said:

Even on the low end, ATWOW will still make over $1.45B which is a totally respectable number (excluding expectations).

Not when your production budget is 460 mln. This kind of final result would be a death kiss to 4 and 5.

Edited by Firepower

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

japan could also be counted as part of the english speaking ones to a certain degree

not because of the english speaking but due to the cultural impact english-speaking americans have had there

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

The Tweet and graphic got it wrong, probably on purpose lmao. Everything for those clicks and interactions.

FWIW, My personal most anticipated list for 2023:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3

2. The Marvels

4. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

5. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

6. The Super Mario Bros Movie

7. Blue Beetle

8. Creed III

9. John Wick: Chapter 4

10. Aquaman 2

They should have included The Marvels imo , ik Marvel already had 2 there but still , fudging the graphic on purpose is weird

• Like 1