Eric the Minion

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

My friends are fucked lol.

I suspect this won’t go down the way Netflix thinks. It will actually increase piracy and people looking for alternate methods. Not sure what is the solution.

It’ll be a disaster for sure for them. 

hence we’ll see their big movies get longer exclusive theatrical runs as they realise they need major additional revenue. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I suspect this won’t go down the way Netflix thinks. It will actually increase piracy and people looking for alternate methods. Not sure what is the solution.

Who the hell is gonna remember to notify Netflix every time they're away from their home for a weekend.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yep. A lot of companies overestimate people's dependency on their products. People will find ways around it or decide they don't need it bad enough. They're getting smart with their money pretty quick, which is refreshing in a consuming-obsessed world.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I doubt it. Piracy can't replace the convenience and (unless you torrent) video quality of the Netflix platform. Once you're used to that ease-of-use it's hard to go back.

Also I don't think studios have really made much of an outwardly aggressive anti-piracy move in years. Even all their new streaming apps are all open to VPN use (something that the studios forced Netflix to get tougher on years ago). Although, i must add that I'm talking from the perspective of someone in the UK where piracy is way more niche than a lot of people like to think. I've been to some countries where piracy seemed more common than legal streaming.

Just now, AJG said:

I doubt it. Piracy can't replace the convenience and (unless you torrent) video quality of the Netflix platform. Once you're used to that ease-of-use it's hard to go back.

Also I don't think studios have really made much of an outwardly aggressive anti-piracy move in years. Even all their new streaming apps are all open to VPN use (something that the studios forced Netflix to get tougher on years ago). Although, i must add that I'm talking from the perspective of someone in the UK where piracy is way more niche than a lot of people like to think. I've been to some countries where piracy seemed more common than legal streaming.

There are actual apps that you can install on your notebook / tv with pirated films and series. I subscribe to four streaming apps, and unless I get too bored or become a hustle - I don’t travel as much as I used to so maybe that won’t be an annoyance to me as much - I will keep subscribing. But if there is one thing I think these apps should be wary is that fighting their consumers won’t go well.

20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Who the hell is gonna remember to notify Netflix every time they're away from their home for a weekend.

They could just do 2 Factor Authentication.

Spotify and a number of other streamers do this already. I'm older now, I'm not going to bother myself coordinating with my siblings whenever they want to log into Netflix from a new device or log back into an old one. 

2FA also gets around the travelling issue. If Netflix detects you're in Scotland for a week you can just enter a code they sent  to your phone or email and you're back on.