The Wild Eric

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

1 minute ago, StreamBO said:

There were critics hinting about tge possible reception. 

https://twitter.com/ScottDMenzel/status/1592395141364748288

Babylon being sold as a best picture and best actress Oscar contender makes total sense. This is just the latest example of a poorly reviewed film that not only got nominated, but won best actor:

j2GVZtD.jpg

The more I grew older, the less I started to care about what The Academy thinks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

BTW I don't think this was asked but are the ~$2M Thanksgiving EA screenings included in the current Puss in Boots domestic total?

Not with the opening day figure, will be added at some point

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

So what do people prefer... Alita or Avatar 2?

Most definitely Alita.

I actually just watched Alita again after Avatar 2 since its on Hulu and I liked it more than I remember despite its issues.  Really wish Cameron did this after Avatar because he would've had the clout to do whatever he wanted with it.  It really feels like a movie that was chopped down with a forced studio PG13 rating.  And Cameron probably has a enough diehards that would've prevented it from flopping in the US.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Most definitely Alita.

I actually just watched Alita again after Avatar 2 since its on Hulu and I liked it more than I remember despite its issues.  Really wish Cameron did this after Avatar because he would've had the clout to do whatever he wanted with it.  It really feels like a movie that was chopped down with a forced studio PG13 rating.  And Cameron probably has a enough diehards that would've prevented it from flopping in the US.

I say it Again Alita is basically a James Cameron movie condensed by Robert Rodriguez to ~2 hours so the budget was lower. James in fact gave Rodriguez a type of Manual on how to make the movie and he followed Cameron instructions. Is clear in the movie, but Janes knew he could not make his possibly 3 hours like he likes, so hired Rodriguez for that. Is the Box Office for Alita there?. 

16 minutes ago, Nero said:

@Porthos @M37 isn't it possible to track daily numbers? Or is it tedious?

The amount of work for me personally to track daily numbers from the Sacto market for "big films" (which is what I presume you're asking) would be... Well, let's put it this way:  Even if it were a paying job, I'd probably pass. :)

If that's not what you're asking, Comscore does exist, but you have to pay to access it/have access to it through other channels, and there's an art to interpreting those numbers as well during the day. Having access to Comscore is how Jat, Rth, and EC are/were able to provide initial estimates.

I do know some folks like @katnisscinnaplex and @Inceptionzq take a look at the 1st weekend numbers more often than not from markets they cover, but I think even they'd agree that it'd get waaay too tedious for far too little gain for them to track new releases on a daily basis, especially with new arrivals happening constantly.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The amount of work for me personally to track daily numbers from the Sacto market for "big films" (which is what I presume you're asking) would be... Well, let's put it this way:  Even if it were a paying job, I'd probably pass. :)

If that's not what you're asking, Comscore does exist, but you have to pay to access it/have access to it through other channels, and there's an art to interpreting those numbers as well during the day. Having access to Comscore is how Jat, Rth, and EC are/were able to provide initial estimates.

I do know some folks like @katnisscinnaplex and @Inceptionzq take a look at the 1st weekend numbers more often than not from markets they cover, but I think even they'd agree that it'd get waaay too tedious for far too little gain for them to track new releases on a daily basis, especially with new arrivals happening constantly.

How is daily tracking any different from say OW or preview tracking? Is it easy compared to daily?

54 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Babylon being sold as a best picture and best actress Oscar contender makes total sense. This is just the latest example of a poorly reviewed film that not only got nominated, but won best actor:

j2GVZtD.jpg

The more I grew older, the less I started to care about what The Academy thinks.

Bo Rhap at least had enormous box office and people who saw it seemed to like it, even if the critics didn't. Babylon's audience score is 63% right now.

14 minutes ago, Nero said:

How is daily tracking any different from say OW or preview tracking? Is it easy compared to daily?

For one thing, even when a full set is out, preview tracking is probably about half as many shows on any given day. When it is just the initial sets, its usually a fraction of what is seen during the first couple of weeks of a movie's run.

Is getting worse and worse with previews moving up in the day, which is why I've said I'm gonna quit if/when previews ever hit 12pm (actually 1pm, but that's splitting hairs).

Another factor is, depending on your setup and how much you'd want to capture day-of walkups, one might monitor showtimes either all day long or long enough into the day where some sort of pattern about walkups can be gleaned.  I'm even running into this problem myself as I like to take preview samples no earlier than 4pm local time, and that means I have to sample 3pm+ showtimes at the start of their showtime, which in turn means check each showtime as it happens. If I had to do that all day long... Well, I may sit at my computer all day, but I have better things to do than babysit showtimes as they roll in.

Now this isn't to say it can't be done, especially with the help of scrapers/automated loggers or sticking to a much smaller sample of theaters.  In fact, I think someone is softing that they're doing just that, but I'll let them talk about it more and not speak for them.

But when it comes right down to it, daily tracking presents a different level of challenges than tracking previews or even individual OW days.  And since we have Jat who has access to Comscore, there hasn't been as much of a demand for daily tracking. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Is this the very first time a weekdays thread has hit 100 pages post-pandemic?

Easily.  Well, after a quick check I didn't see any others that came close.

Also don't forget though, that even as recently as 2019, we had Daily threads for the weekdays.  Only real reason they stopped (besides @sfran43 not being around to create them) was lack of traffic during the pandemic and post-pandemic.  Had more than enough interest to have them again this week, but I suppose we've kinda fallen into the Weekly Thread pattern.

Bringing back dailies during runs that warrant it and/or BOT traffic reaches a point where they make sense again is probably a question directed toward @Cap , @ZeeSoh@Eric in Boots or other members of Staff. :)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5